Fantasyland Expansion - Part 2 | Page 95 | Inside Universal Forums

Fantasyland Expansion - Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Ok, I know it's taken them a bit of time to get this thing going, but it HAS NOT taken 4 years. As a matter of fact, they didn't even wall off the old Grotto and Pooh play area until late April 2010 via WDWNT. They didn't even announce officially SDMT until January 2011. The first time we saw any movement on the ride was 12/9/11 via WDWMAGIC which was a "concrete foundation and tunnel".

Obviously that still means they've been working on it for about a year and a half already, but it isn't four years. I think a bigger part of the problem for why we are picking on it with the timeline isn't because of how long it's taking, but because it's the only new offering in sight. Add onto that the rampant speed at which Universal is building and it only makes things worse.

I was being silly and over exaggerating that time frame when I rode that last post. But looking into now, to be technical they did announce the original expansion on September 12 2009 and revised them in January 2011 so by the time this opens next year it will be almost 5 years from the initial announcement and over 3 years since they revised those plans. I really don't care how long they take to build it, of course I would like it sooner rather than later. I just joke around about it since Disney's construction timetables seem to be a butt of a lot of jokes :lol:

gotcha. Nothing from the original plans will have taken 5 years though. As you said, the plans were updated in January 2011, so yes, it'll still be 3 years. However, it'll be about 2 years from the time they broke ground. Either way it seems too long because of how long of a period it has been stretched out over.

The DVC preview thing or whatever on the back-end of the attraction is supposed to open this June. So there's that. :lol:

It's always fun to play can I walk all the way around 7DMT. Last two visits I could not. The previous time I walked right from Ariel's Grotto to the Circus
I hate that feeling when I get confident that it should be crowded enough that they'll have that gate open down by the Grotto and I get all the way down there... and it's closed. It's happened probably 3-4 times now.

I hate that feeling when I get confident that it should be crowded enough that they'll have that gate open down by the Grotto and I get all the way down there... and it's closed. It's happened probably 3-4 times now.

Oh it's a crowding thing!? I'm always tripping over strollers in that area anyways. Nobody is taking in the incredible scenery as they've all got their vacation planned to a "t" and are running across the park to make their next fast pass. I was getting pics through the plexiglass portions and a small boy wanted to take a few seconds to view what was going on, (like most of us would) and his Mother was like, "We have no time!" My mother in law was like that with my wife growing up, so now we try to plan as little as necessary. Though next time we're both in Magic Kingdom we're going to pull fast passes for Peter Pan. I realized that I've never ridden Peter Pan. :yikes: (Fantasyland was never my thing growing up, minus Mr. Toad's of course.)

Though next time we're both in Magic Kingdom we're going to pull fast passes for Peter Pan. I realized that I've never ridden Peter Pan. :yikes: (Fantasyland was never my thing growing up, minus Mr. Toad's of course.)

Yes, get Fast Passes. Do Peter Pan just so you know what it's like and for the ride count, but it's not a great ride in comparison with the rest, and it's definitely not worth the usual wait times it has.

Oh it's a crowding thing!? I'm always tripping over strollers in that area anyways.
Yeah, pretty much. They keep it closed off to allow for trucks, workers, etc. to get through that area to work on 7DMT. It's usually only open when it's really busy and they need to keep the crowds moving.

Yes, get Fast Passes. Do Peter Pan just so you know what it's like and for the ride count, but it's not a great ride in comparison with the rest, and it's definitely not worth the usual wait times it has.

I don't know, I think it is unique in that the track is above you and also the city scene to me is always really cool. The AI's do need some major upgrading, but the scenery in it is pretty cool. But yes, fast pass it, that line is always way too long.

8656119103_25711bd9c0_b.jpg

8657215854_cacc6aec8a_b.jpg

8656117107_58f1148174_b.jpg

8656117769_4f8f53a200_b.jpg

8657224208_05f18bbfbd_b.jpg

8656120949_28ca3e3cc6_b.jpg

8656121541_e2660f8fbd_b.jpg

Ariel AA down/stationary

8656128341_0241ba4966_b.jpg

Scuttle AA missing

8656137497_3c9bf5cd27_b.jpg

8657265384_5a2abeeedc_b.jpg

8657266756_75f0caacfc_b.jpg

8657267456_9952e6e2dc_b.jpg

8656166135_112c8fcd73_b.jpg

I've noticed that Scuttle goes out every few weeks. He somehow takes a lot of damage. When he went out last time it was because of a hole on his neck. This time he had three cuts on his stomach and I think that's why he's out this time.
And for Disney's popularity, think of it like the beach. The beach has been the same for billions of years and people get excited to go there and plan trips to the beach far in advanced. Disney is the same way, it's still fun for families even though it's the same. I go to Disney every week multiple times and have a lot of fun. Most people spread those multiple visits over years, and they come back because it's fun.

Thanks for the updates, guys! This is taking a while, and it's frustrating, but it looks like they're doing a very nice job with the theming :thumbs: Whenever this finally opens... it'll be nice lookin' :smiley:

Looking for a Summer 2017 Grand Opening and the same year Potter phase 4 opens :thumbs: