Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Frozen Ever After

Kinda disappointing, and then they've also extended the Frozen "Summer" Live show at DHS through the Holidays....before we know it, we're going to see Osborne Family of Lights presenting Frozen! with Elsa doing a ceremonial show to turn the lights on...ugh...over kill

I knew this was coming, but hearing all the "official" news today is just killing me. I can't stand anything about Frozen. And Norway is and always has been my favorite pavilion at EPCOT. In my opinion they're destroying every value they set out to represent with the construction of World Showcase.

I moved to Florida because of my love for Disney. But all they're doing is announcing one disappointment after another. I'm so ashamed to be a fan of the company right now.

^that was in May, thread page 10.

See guys. I wasn't trolling. I've known this since January and shared what I knew in May when I heard they were actually going through with this. I was told some more juciy gossip mid June but I'll let you guys know when its more concrete.

I'm sorry but this is a concept for a more advanced one. We're getting the boat ride. Good luck next time.

2gnnONJ.png

I'm pretty upset right now. Maelstrom is a classic, and to carelessly replace it with the new, big fad of the moment is just crazy. I can't say I'm surprised, this kind of decision has "Disney" written all over it. I don't recall reading that it would be a cheap overlay, but with TDO's mindset I wouldn't be surprised. It's like their motto is: The less we have to spend, the better!

Just saw a commercial for the new season of once upon a time. Bet you can't guess who is in it.

I'm just waiting for when they get rid of Minnie and replace her with one of them.

It's hard to be that upset about this when it's really just the usual from WDW. Time and time again they've shown they have zero clue what the park is supposed to embody, and this just continues the cycle.

EPCOT Center as we knew it has been long dead and is never coming back. All we can do is enjoy the untouched remnants of it for as long as they last.

(and this is coming from someone that absolutely adores Frozen)

image-jpg.65534

Ugh, this is lame. I'm no Frozen fan, but a property that big deserves more than an overlay over one of WDW's smallest rides. Epcot needs some love, but taking down Maelstrom to shove Frozen down our throats is not what it needs. They need to start by fixing Imagination, make a new Soarin' film that isn't California based (which in fairness to Disney, they are doing), add more to WS whether it be more countries, new rides (not an overlay) or shows. But DHS and DAK need the most loving, DHS has 4 awesome must ride attractions but once you've done them all you've pretty much finished your day there. DAK is beautiful but I literally have a hard time spending more than an hour or two there, I have a hard time being excited about Avatar too when it's main attraction is just going to be Soarin' Over Pandora. The boat ride might be good, but I doubt it matches up to POTC. It just kind of sucks to see an incompetent team of dillweeds running WDW. Because it truly has all the makings of being the most magical place on earth, the resort is so secluded from everything else with lots of great characters and history to build on, but the execs are just looking to cash in and they make it way too obvious. Yes, it's a business and they are there to make money, it just sucks seeing it be so obvious. /rant

Frozen related, but I guess this really belongs in an MK thread...anyway, I have not been to WDW in a couple of years, but I swear when a read a news report about the Frozen ride coming, they also mentioned The Castle becoming an ice castle this winter.

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this...is this just the typical castle lights with the lighting ceremony changed to a frozen theme...or something new with projection mapping...I just hope it is not anything as bad as the birthday cake of the past....

Frozen related, but I guess this really belongs in an MK thread...anyway, I have not been to WDW in a couple of years, but I swear when a read a news report about the Frozen ride coming, they also mentioned The Castle becoming an ice castle this winter.

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this...is this just the typical castle lights with the lighting ceremony changed to a frozen theme...or something new with projection mapping...I just hope it is not anything as bad as the birthday cake of the past....

It's something to do with MVMCP.

Kinda disappointing, and then they've also extended the Frozen "Summer" Live show at DHS through the Holidays....before we know it, we're going to see Osborne Family of Lights presenting Frozen! with Elsa doing a ceremonial show to turn the lights on...ugh...over kill
I actually wouldn't be surprised... i've heard they are adding Frozen songs to the mix of songs this year.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm pretty upset right now. Maelstrom is a classic, and to carelessly replace it with the new, big fad of the moment is just crazy. I can't say I'm surprised, this kind of decision has "Disney" written all over it. I don't recall reading that it would be a cheap overlay, but with TDO's mindset I wouldn't be surprised. It's like their motto is: The less we have to spend, the better!
I know some people really liked the ride for nostalgic reasons, but, if i'm being honest, the ride was actually pretty bad.

Maelstrom wasn't that bad, it was short but it was a fun little experience. But even if you think the ride sucks, the point is the world showcase's main attraction will now be based on a fictional country from an animated movie. It goes against EVERYTHING the WS and Epcot is all about. It's a joke and is clearly just the cheapest and easiest way for Disney to create a permanent Frozen ride. Instead of adding something at DHS where it would be a major improvement, they are just overlaying an old WS ride in Epcot.

We knew this was coming but it's still doesn't make sense. Why replace the only ride in World Showcase? We know there's no shortage of real estate on property. This could have literally worked anywhere else. They could have freshened up the Norway pavilion with Frozen touches without completely bastardizing it.

See guys. I wasn't trolling. I've known this since January and shared what I knew in May when I heard they were actually going through with this. I was told some more juciy gossip mid June but I'll let you guys know when its more concrete.
I'm sorry but this is a concept for a more advanced one. We're getting the boat ride. Good luck next time.

Yeah, I'm not sure you've earned the right to blow your horn on the "insider" information you spilled because the only thing you've gotten right (so far) is that a "new Frozen ride" is coming to replace the Maelstrom...and many of us have pretty much suspected/known that for months now. My money is on it being a cheap Frozen overlay to Maelstrom with a name change (we ARE dealing with TDO here). If it turns out to be more than that, you can blow your horn and say "I told you so" all you want. But remember, if you want to be considered a serious "insider," you have to get more information right than wrong and NOT seem like an attention-getter hungering for the spotlight. Did Hate ever really do that? No. :smiley:

Great concept though...would love to see it come true!

Looks like the last day for Maelstrom is Oct 5th. This was according to the employees actually running the ride, they normally are pretty accurate this close to the date.