MSHI Expansion? | Page 32 | Inside Universal Forums

MSHI Expansion?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I wonder if the Hulk refurb was all Universal's idea. Or if B&M was like, "It's been 16 years. It's time to bring your coaster in for service."

I would quicker think it was a confluence of Marvel and Uni reviewing the new Spider Man and making observations about the area generally. This would be especially true if there had already been discussions within Marvel about monetizing MCU etc.

My understanding is B&M and Universal have a somewhat tense relationship (or have had in the past), with management ignoring B&M's maintenance protocols in favor of their own, which they didn't like. I understand they are very picky about the upkeep of their rides and their nearly flawless record of safety and reliability.

I would guess they have had some sort of new breakthrough in their relationship with the modifications coming to Hulk as well as purchasing a new flyer for USJ.

Think of it like every time you go to take your car in for service. You go in asking for a simple oil change and before you know it you need a radiator flush, a new PCV valve, a rear differential fluid swap, new windshield wipers, and your transmission fluid is in TERRIBLE DESTRUCTIVE condition. It works the same way with all kinds of tech and industrial related businesses including ride manufacturers. Why? Cause its another form of revenue that is usually the one with highest net profit or margins. Universal is more than capable of doing most the work such as repairs, updates, and safety provisions themselves and why not it saves them a fortune to do it in house. When it comes to safety protocols I don't know of Universal doing any less from B&M's standards. If anything they add extra steps to ensure safety for the public.

Except, how much time has Hulk actually been closed for refurb in the 16 years it's been operating? Supposedly that is their real problem with Universal's maintenance is they have never really taken the ride down for what they consider a thorough going over, instead just doing small replacements & repairs over time.

Most of their coasters have extensive off season rehabs. BGT takes theirs down for multi-week rehabs periodically, but Uni has refused to (according to what I have heard which of course may or may not be the truth of the situation).

Most of their coasters have extensive off season rehabs. BGT takes theirs down for multi-week rehabs periodically, but Uni has refused to (according to what I have heard which of course may or may not be the truth of the situation).

It sounds pretty true! I don't recall it ever being closed except for the half a day when there was a glitch or lock on a break run. And that is rarer than rare as you know.

It's interesting since we know Dueling Dragon/Challenge was down for a while (how long?) during the change to Harry Potter. I guess they did some maintenance at that time on those B&M coasters.

I'd think they probably rotate the trains out periodically to maintain them. That doesn't account for any track or station maintenance, but they could be continually refurbing the trains, without much notice.

One train is always out of the rotation for maitenance. As for BGT the only time they shut down their coasters for extended periods of of time has been either for a repaint or a major component breaking such as as lift hill chain. Otherwise all their maintenance is done over night and track walks in the early morning hours.

Reactions: MrRoamer
I think they should make a MCU attraction based on The Falcon where all you do is get beaten up and then go to the parties when the other Avengers finish doing all of the work :shh:

Reactions: martymcflyy85
I think they should make a MCU attraction based on The Falcon where all you do is get beaten up and then go to the parties when the other Avengers finish doing all of the work :shh:
Beaten up by a newbie Antman....

Reactions: Mad Dog
I'm guessing that with the new hulk we will say goodbye to green and purple and introduce green and black. I bet we will see the trains green and black too.

Guys, these are Be@rbricks. They have nothing to do with Disney. Just a Japanese toy line of bear-shaped figures that can be painted to look like any character.

And if you were being sarcastic then disregard my post LOL!

-Andy

It actually wasn't down that long. They kept it open pretty much until the end.

I was always baffled by the lengths they'd go to keep the Dragons running. Sadly meant there was zero chance of a repaint, but I guess that was probably never in the cards.

Remember when you entered Dragons by going through the Jurassic Park arches? Wild.

Does anyone remember approximately when the grotesque queue imagery started getting removed? That was during overnights, right? Any idea where some of the more elaborate pieces (i.e. the frozen horses and knights) ended up?

I was always baffled by the lengths they'd go to keep the Dragons running. Sadly meant there was zero chance of a repaint, but I guess that was probably never in the cards.

Remember when you entered Dragons by going through the Jurassic Park arches? Wild.

Does anyone remember approximately when the grotesque queue imagery started getting removed? That was during overnights, right? Any idea where some of the more elaborate pieces (i.e. the frozen horses and knights) ended up?

I believe the reason it never got painted was because it received a fresh paint job in 2006-07 (in order to look pretty for JK). I guess in their eyes, a 3 year old paint job didn't justify the need to spend again in 2010.

As far as the queue, I thought they kept everything in there until the first part of 2010? Once it finally closed is when they started actually re-doing the inside of the queue.

Reactions: Clive