Lionsgate World Resort | Page 28 | Inside Universal Forums

Lionsgate World Resort

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Thoughts on SkyPlex?

• I want it!

• I have concerns, but still want to see it built.

• I hate it!

• I don't care.

Results are only viewable after voting.
From the highway, or from a business parking lot in that immediate vicinity? There's a big difference in being able to see them from the highway (raised a fair bit above normal ground level with a clear path) and seeing it from the actual ground level like a parking lot or sidewalk. You can't see anything from the parking lot in Crossroads (that I've noticed, and I'm there fairly often), which is right next to I-4, however you can indeed see Potter from near the Fenton overpass, but those are two different elevations with very different surroundings.
The Hyatt is the tallest hotel building around and if I'm not mistaking it's the tallest structure on International Drive. With everything around it it isn't intrusive until you are about within 2000 ft of it.

So maybe my viewpoints on the ground are different but the Skyplex isn't even going to be all that viewable from UOR , the theme parks anyway.

The Hyatt is the tallest hotel building around and if I'm not mistaking it's the tallest structure on International Drive. With everything around it it isn't intrusive until you are about within 2000 ft of it.

So maybe my viewpoints on the ground are different but the Skyplex isn't even going to be all that viewable from UOR , the theme parks anyway.

There will be a few points it will be visible, but it won't be like some massive, imposing structure towering over the resort menacingly like some are making it out to be. Even from Volcano Bay it shouldn't be bad, and might not even be visible once you're on the side of the volcano facing the I-4 ramps (much more of an eyesore, if you ask me).

Reactions: IAmFloridaBorn
There will be a few points it will be visible, but it won't be like some massive, imposing structure towering over the resort menacingly like some are making it out to be. Even from Volcano Bay it shouldn't be bad, and might not even be visible once you're on the side of the volcano facing the I-4 ramps (much more of an eyesore, if you ask me).

Exactly.
Based on that map one poster provided.:

nzj3w7.png

So using their viewpoints .

John Young and I-4 which is about 3+ stories high.

11ccldy.png

Bee Line and Boggy Creek which is about 3+ stories high as well.

jqnvpj.png

and 535 and I-4

331q3pu.png

I just don't think it will be as view able as people are exaggerating it to be. There are so many trees buildings and other obstructions, it won't be an eyesore from any considerable distance at all.

Last edited:
I don't believe Universal is as concerned about visual intrusion as much as the competition in dining/entertainment in the area of the new land.

As far as visual intrusion on the new land, I think The Eye is a bigger concern.

Exactly. The height issue was a smokescreen so they hopefully wouldn't have had to show their hand concerning the plans they have a few feet down Universal Blvd. They're really just trying to fend off competition for whatever second version of CityWalk they're planning.

I don't believe Universal is as concerned about visual intrusion as much as the competition in dining/entertainment in the area of the new land.

As far as visual intrusion on the new land, I think The Eye is a bigger concern.

Exactly. The height issue was a smokescreen so they hopefully wouldn't have had to show their hand concerning the plans they have a few feet down Universal Blvd. They're really just trying to fend off competition for whatever second version of CityWalk they're planning.

I agree with both of you except to say that if you can see it in all it's glory, a few will be lured to it, ride it, and then have lunch there. Universal isn't investing all this money only to have a wee bit of it WALK off property . This will be most true of Cabana, I predict. That is the sight-line issue.

Last edited:
Has anyone seen the latest renderings game of the proposed Atlanta Polercoaster. It's a good bit shorter but I like how it's part of a entertainment district development with a bowling alley/fun plex, 16 screen cinema and a Margaritaville Hotel/restaurant combo.

Now imagine that in a second City Walk
LakePoints-Boomtown-Lookout-Tower-and-the-White-Knuckler-Polercoaster-opening-Fall-2016.jpg

I agree with both of you except to say that if you can see it in all it's glory, a few will be lured to it, ride it, and then have lunch there. Universal isn't investing all this money only to have a wee bit of it WALK off property . This will be most true of Cabana, I predict.

That's true, I just think they're more worried about the I-Drive tourists who would be happy to walk the few steps to the World's Largest Perkins™ or whatever else they'll have there instead of jumping on the I-Ride or the Unirail to go to CityWalk 2.0.

Reactions: IAmFloridaBorn
Personally i think the skyplex is going to become a strength for universal.
This is what i think about that,

1) This addition is going to draw more people into this northern part of the i-4.
So i think Skyplex will help to draw people from the Disney "Area" to the Universal "area"

2) The skyplex isn't a full day theme park, so it could become a step into a Universal trip or vice-versa ! (and again, center the activity into this part of i-4).

3) The visitors attracted by this kind of thrilling attractions will love to ride those two themes parks. So, buy ticket for both of them $$$.

4) Imagine yourself, (for the most courageous of us), onto the top of skyplex 3 second before you dropping, with a spectacular view on universal, What a great commercial for Uni !

And to finish with that, in his future development, if comcast manage intelligently his additions, he could profit, i'm pretty sure, from every aspect of skyplex !
And of course, this addition is going to motivate comcast to propose us a Wonderful CityWalk 2.0 in the future !! Je croise les doigts !

So !! This is my personal opinion, what are you thinking about ?;)

Personally i think the skyplex is going to become a strength for universal.
This is what i think about that,

1) This addition is going to draw more people into this northern part of the i-4.
So i think Skyplex will help to draw people from the Disney "Area" to the Universal "area"

2) The skyplex isn't a full day theme park, so it could become a step into a Universal trip or vice-versa ! (and again, center the activity into this part of i-4).

3) The visitors attracted by this kind of thrilling attractions will love to ride those two themes parks. So, buy ticket for both of them $$$.

4) Imagine yourself, (for the most courageous of us), onto the top of skyplex 3 second before you dropping, with a spectacular view on universal, What a great commercial for Uni !

And to finish with that, in his future development, if comcast manage intelligently his additions, he could profit, i'm pretty sure, from every aspect of skyplex !
And of course, this addition is going to motivate comcast to propose us a Wonderful CityWalk 2.0 in the future !! Je croise les doigts !

So !! This is my personal opinion, what are you thinking about ?;)

It has the potential to hurt Fun Spot the most.

It has the potential to hurt Fun Spot the most.
Actually I think the combination of the 3rd Universal park and all the new additions on I-Drive especially this could be the final straw to do in Sea World. I think Fun Spot will benefit from it. If someone plans some time at Skyplex it's not going to fill a day, but pair it up with a few hours at Fun Spot, lunch or dinner on I-Drive and you could have a well rounded day.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Actually I think the combination of the 3rd Universal park and all the new additions on I-Drive especially this could be the final straw to do in Sea World. I think Fun Spot will benefit from it. If someone plans some time at Skyplex it's not going to fill a day, but pair it up with a few hours at Fun Spot, lunch or dinner on I-Drive and you could have a well rounded day.

I doubt it. I think SeaWorld understands they have adapt which is why you are seeing them looking at their own resorts. They just need to pull them off right. This guy in charge at SEAS has made very successful choices at his former parks.

I doubt it. I think SeaWorld understands they have adapt which is why you are seeing them looking at their own resorts. They just need to pull them off right. This guy in charge at SEAS has made very successful choices at his former parks.
Ya. Joel Manby turned Herschend (Silver Dollar City, Globetrotters, Dollywood) from a doomed company due to lack of maintenance, mismanagement, and many other things to one of the top regional entertainment companies. To put it into perspective, Herschend was like a Universal under Blackstone and GE until Manby became CEO and it became like Universal under Comcast, but of the regional parks.

Are all the proposed polercoasters through Wallack Holdings?
Also, does anyone know of any US Thrill Rides installations?
They have 2 Unicoaster installations (flat ride). One is at Nickelodeon Universe and the other is at Belmont Park.
unicoaster-small.jpg

They are also currently building a SkyQuest at the Indianapolis Zoo. Looks to be like a sky ride in which people are hanging over the exhibit.
skyquest-tr-3.jpg

Also, they are planning on building one of these things as a part of a redevelopment of the New Orleans coast.
SKYSPIRE.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: anihilnation