Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 86 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Not surprised at outside track length, it's about what I was expecting it to be. Everything is looking good, can't wait to ride it.

Awesome pictures!

I'm assuming that the queue outside will be under cover when it's complete? Also the wall between the queue and the outside track, is that scaffolding or a type of bamboo effect meaning that you will be able to see that part of the ride while waiting in line?

The only thing that looks kind of out of place is the mountain painting in the background, it looks too washed out compared to the stone work.

The way that some of you have talked about the development of this attraction makes it sound like everyone within Universal randomly collectively said, "Eh, let's just go f***ing crazy with this one."

Not at all. UC has kept a relatively tight ship on schedules and contracts on this project, as ever. The stuff added is, in my estimation, smart and nuanced buys. Only one thing seems a bit out there, but it is more of a concept. Yet still, none of the additions have cost buckets of money.

Now keep in mind, I have no idea if the final attraction will be any good. Perhaps it will be a horrid failure. I have only been speaking and writing of their intentions which sound great.

Amazing pictures, the Outside looks incredible. It's not even done yet but I'll argue this is the best facade in the entire resort and that's saying something. Nothing can get me more pumped for this, already reached my limit

Good news about the cuts @Teebin,
however we know most attractions have had them to varying degrees, in your experience are they necessary to pull in out of control designers or short sighted decisions by the bean counters?

IMO if something is intended on operating for 10+ years then surely going a little over budget to make it the best it can be is worth it, however it's not my money!

Last edited:
I would think they will begin running the ride vehicles on the outside track very soon. Sometime in the next 4 weeks. Perhaps they will wrap them in plastic to cover the theming. Let's see if I am right!

OK you're on :wink:

Countdown Timer - Countdown to Feb 8, 2016 5:00 PM in Orlando

Kidding aside I am really looking forward to seeing Kong, out of all of the upcoming attractions Kong is the one that I'm looking forward to the most.

I'm hitting up an early May trip this year and I think HHN is a no no for me this year :cry::cry::cry: so I will miss out on Kong and a lot more, but will certainly make for an fun 2017 trip :clap:

Reactions: Disneyhead
OK you're on :wink:

Countdown Timer - Countdown to Feb 8, 2016 5:00 PM in Orlando

Kidding aside I am really looking forward to seeing Kong, out of all of the upcoming attractions Kong is the one that I'm looking forward to the most.

I'm hitting up an early May trip this year and I think HHN is a no no for me this year :cry::cry::cry: so I will miss out on Kong and a lot more, but will certainly make for an fun 2017 trip :clap:

I know that countdown timer was a joke, but its really cool. How did you do it?

Could you see a kid who's afraid to sit on Santa's lap looking at the Kong entrance and just break out crying and screaming, total meltdown. Universal might have to pay to keep a child psychiatrist on Kong queue duty. ;)

Honestly being scared of Santa means nothing. I have no clue what is up with that guy that scares kids. But he scared my daughter. She wouldn't sit on his lap until she was 3. She stood in front of him when she was 2. But she happily would go on Haunted Mansion and let bugs crawl on her lol At age 4 she sat on his lap, but still was hesitant and then age 5 she wants to tell him what she wants so will sit on his lap. Now my not even 1 year old? Freaked out. Even though most of my relatives that she met for the first time are big with beards and had ZERO issues with them.

Reactions: Cole and Mad Dog
Honestly being scared of Santa means nothing. I have no clue what is up with that guy that scares kids. But he scared my daughter. She wouldn't sit on his lap until she was 3. She stood in front of him when she was 2. But she happily would go on Haunted Mansion and let bugs crawl on her lol At age 4 she sat on his lap, but still was hesitant and then age 5 she wants to tell him what she wants so will sit on his lap. Now my not even 1 year old? Freaked out. Even though most of my relatives that she met for the first time are big with beards and had ZERO issues with them.
I was actually thinking about this the other day. I was scared of him as a kid too and the more I think about it so were all of my siblings lol. I remember just not wanting to be taken away from my mom to sit on a strangers lap. Other reason could be I've heard so much about this guy that I just got overwhelmed. It's the same reasons kids cry when meeting costumed characters at theme parks, just a big mess. Sorry for getting off topic, fears are just one of my favorite things to talk about and you all are just so much fun to talk to about it

I think meeting Santa works the same way meeting Mickey Mouse does: kids freak out because they're meeting this famous person. Parents talk up important childhood figures like Santa and Mickey so much so that when it's time to meet "the real Santa" or "the real Mickey" the kids get shy, anxious, and overwhelmed. They get starstruck, in their own way.

But staying on topic, I certainly don't think being starstruck will be the reason kids are crying on Kong. I know we'll be getting an AA ape for sure, but what's the word on any others? I'd love for another T-rex in the park.

Reactions: Cole
The entrance alone is enough to scare away 50% of kids who are on the fence about riding. And if that doesn't do the trick the queue certainly will. My oldest is only 2.5 years old and i already easily see how the entrance alone can have an impact on riding a ride. Listen to those who has kids vs some people who are still kids themselves debate the subject.... AND WE'RE MOVING ON!!!

I think meeting Santa works the same way meeting Mickey Mouse does: kids freak out because they're meeting this famous person. Parents talk up important childhood figures like Santa and Mickey so much so that when it's time to meet "the real Santa" or "the real Mickey" the kids get shy, anxious, and overwhelmed. They get starstruck, in their own way.

But staying on topic, I certainly don't think being starstruck will be the reason kids are crying on Kong. I know we'll be getting an AA ape for sure, but what's the word on any others? I'd love for another T-rex in the park.

The funny part is that my daughter gave Mickey a hug and still wouldn't sit on Santa's lap lol

My 11 month old had no clue who Santa was, just some strange guy to her. But it struck me as odd since she went to my relatives she didn't know with no issues. She actually goes to most strangers (to her) with no issues. But Santa, no way. Disney photographers are AMAZING though and managed to get some non-crying somewhat OK pictures with her on his lap. I was amazed that they caught her right at those perfect times.

Oh yeah... back to topic.

My daughter will be brave at the entrance, but HTF is right, most kids will chicken out at the entrance or in the line. I just have a head strong child that is way too stubborn when she convinces herself she can do something. :)

Reactions: Andy
The funny part is that my daughter gave Mickey a hug and still wouldn't sit on Santa's lap lol

My 11 month old had no clue who Santa was, just some strange guy to her. But it struck me as odd since she went to my relatives she didn't know with no issues. She actually goes to most strangers (to her) with no issues. But Santa, no way. Disney photographers are AMAZING though and managed to get some non-crying somewhat OK pictures with her on his lap. I was amazed that they caught her right at those perfect times.

Oh yeah... back to topic.

My daughter will be brave at the entrance, but HTF is right, most kids will chicken out at the entrance or in the line. I just have a head strong child that is way too stubborn when she convinces herself she can do something. :)

To have the confidence and fearlessness of a kid again would make theme parks a wonderful and terrifying place. I was talking to my dad about this earlier. I had a massive freak out on Kongfrontation on my first visit to Orlando in 93. I was 4 at the time. I also apparently had an equally big freak out on 20,000 leagues under the sea but everything else was fine weirdly.

Reactions: Cole and Mad Dog
:yikes:I had nightmares of the film "Journey to the Center of the Earth" (James Mason version) until I was about 8. Creatures crawling under the bed and all. And watching it now, it's more laughable than scary. Small kids live in a different world where imagination reigns supreme.:ears: And that's actually one of the reasons Disney does so well. They're generally able to translate what could have been a scary event into something that is pure enjoyable wonder for a child......... But I guess those Jules Verne related topics are tough on the likes of Scott & me. :)

Reactions: Scott W.