Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 87 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Haunted mansion was the first experience of fear I can actually remember. I don't think the entrance will do enough to back away kids. From experience with multiple little siblings, what stops kids from going on rides is if it's a rollercoaster or not. When little kids see splash mountain or Dudley, their instinct reaction is "NOPE" because of the gigantic drop placed right in front of them. Even though those rides are colorful and thematically kid friendly, the ride itself is daunting to them. I think little kids will see the jeep slowly ride into the big temple walls and think "that's not too bad". Maybe because of past experiences with Kilimanjaro safaris or some other slow moving jeep ride. Parents will most likely convince any skeptical kids by showing them the car and saying "look it's not too bad, just a car ride". The facade would usually do the trick however you see the ride vehicle so it's different from let's say haunted mansion and more like splash. If the peer pressure works, the queue will do the trick. That's how I see it

Haunted mansion was the first experience of fear I can actually remember. I don't think the entrance will do enough to back away kids. From experience with multiple little siblings, what stops kids from going on rides is if it's a rollercoaster or not. When little kids see splash mountain or Dudley, their instinct reaction is "NOPE" because of the gigantic drop placed right in front of them. Even though those rides are colorful and thematically kid friendly, the ride itself is daunting to them. I think little kids will see the jeep slowly ride into the big temple walls and think "that's not too bad". Maybe because of past experiences with Kilimanjaro safaris or some other slow moving jeep ride. Parents will most likely convince any skeptical kids by showing them the car and saying "look it's not too bad, just a car ride". The facade would usually do the trick however you see the ride vehicle so it's different from let's say haunted mansion and more like splash. If the peer pressure works, the queue will do the trick. That's how I see it

My child is the opposite. She saw the drop of Splash and couldn't drag me to the entrance fast enough when she realized she was finally tall enough to get on. The big thing here is every child and parent is different. As a parent it is not always black and white when it comes to decisions on riding rides. You have to try and balance a lot of things because you just don't know how they will react. My friends kids are all older than my daughter and they won't ride half the stuff she will ride. Their older son (in 2nd grade) probably won't go on space mountain where my daughter can't wait to be tall enough to ride it. So then the parents have to gauge when their height is good for the ride, is their maturity level good enough. I know it was a tough decision for me on a lot of these rides, but in the end my daughter wanted to go on so we did. All of them she loved, while saying they were a little scary and would love to go on again. ToT was the only one that really scared her and her initial reaction was not wanting to go back on. But then the next time at the park she saw the hotel, said that is the scary ride, and then said, can we go on it? I think this ride makes it hard because the height limit is so low. So parents have to make that decision for much younger kids and might not always realize what is going on. But we will see. Tourists are not smart when they are on vacation. We have all heard the stupid things they say and do.

Reactions: Cole
I'm tired of reading on here that it may be too scary for kids. If parents can't read a sign that saids it may be too intense for little kids, that's on them. Don't hold back universal.

I don't recall ever reading a sign. I doubt most guests read signs. A stop in the queue with a live TM warning guests is the only thing that would have a chance being listened to. It would work better if the person was in a stand-out costume.

Reactions: IzzyB
We'll have the TM's yelling at guests that kids should not ride since it is super scary, but what they will see is Shia LaBeouf yelling at them saying "JUST DO IT!" and then they proceed to enter the queue. Waiting in line allows me to imagine scenarios like this.

Reactions: Mike S
Well, the facade sure is menacing enough that parents at least should question if it is suitable for children or not I would think.

Awesome pictures!

I'm assuming that the queue outside will be under cover when it's complete? Also the wall between the queue and the outside track, is that scaffolding or a type of bamboo effect meaning that you will be able to see that part of the ride while waiting in line?

The only thing that looks kind of out of place is the mountain painting in the background, it looks too washed out compared to the stone work.

I think the wall is about 6-8 feet tall, it's hard to tell. The bamboo is part of the theme, with all the skulls stuck on it.

The mountains are painted with a misty effect near the temple entrance. It's supposed to look like multiple ranges of mountains, some closer and some further but all of them are in the distance. It looks pretty good in person.

Reactions: martymcflyy85
I don't recall ever reading a sign. I doubt most guests read signs. A stop in the queue with a live TM warning guests is the only thing that would have a chance being listened to. It would work better if the person was in a stand-out costume.
Yes, like I said before, A TM dressed as a cannibal. Then we'll see what the little tykes are made of. :lol:

My child is the opposite. She saw the drop of Splash and couldn't drag me to the entrance fast enough when she realized she was finally tall enough to get on. The big thing here is every child and parent is different. As a parent it is not always black and white when it comes to decisions on riding rides. You have to try and balance a lot of things because you just don't know how they will react. My friends kids are all older than my daughter and they won't ride half the stuff she will ride. Their older son (in 2nd grade) probably won't go on space mountain where my daughter can't wait to be tall enough to ride it. So then the parents have to gauge when their height is good for the ride, is their maturity level good enough. I know it was a tough decision for me on a lot of these rides, but in the end my daughter wanted to go on so we did. All of them she loved, while saying they were a little scary and would love to go on again. ToT was the only one that really scared her and her initial reaction was not wanting to go back on. But then the next time at the park she saw the hotel, said that is the scary ride, and then said, can we go on it? I think this ride makes it hard because the height limit is so low. So parents have to make that decision for much younger kids and might not always realize what is going on. But we will see. Tourists are not smart when they are on vacation. We have all heard the stupid things they say and do.
Good lord!!! Your daughter is way braver than I ever was at her age and far beyond. It's awesome you let your children go on whatever they want, in my opinion if they've heard about it, know what it is and still want to ride it, they have every right to. I definitely agree about the height limit, IOA has so little rides for children that with a height limit like that, it's gonna be one of the only options after everything in Seuss. It's gonna be a big reaction for sure

if they do add in scare actors i wonder how long it will stay.Even though universal rides tend to be of a mature nature even having death either seen or hinted at. parents would complain and neuter the ride

if they do add in scare actors i wonder how long it will stay.Even though universal rides tend to be of a mature nature even having death either seen or hinted at. parents would complain and neuter the ride

Universal hasn't been shy on bringing experiences like potentially Kong. Hell, two of their other Universal parks have year round haunt experiences. Japan with RE and soon (for the third time) Hollywood with the possible (seems more than possible actually) year round TWD experience.

It ain't their first rodeo in scary experiences besides HHN and I have to assume that the operations team has made sure of it.

That and look at how gruesome something like the mummy is. The one in USH has someone eaten alive by scarabs right in your face, pretty gnarly. Kong is gonna be ok because most of the scary stuff has to do more with creatures than horrible deaths. If they can get away with Aragog, they can definitely get away with this

It's been said before, but it's so awesome that we're getting an amazing new ride just for the hell of it.

Not because of some corporate synergy mandate. Not because people complained there wasn't enough for their children to do. Not to add capacity. Not because it's a cheap clone of an existing attraction. Not reactive to any problem at all.

Just purely because it's a great idea, and fun, and because Universal can.

It's been said before, but it's so awesome that we're getting an amazing new ride just for the hell of it.

Not because of some corporate synergy mandate. Not because people complained there wasn't enough for their children to do. Not to add capacity. Not because it's a cheap clone of an existing attraction. Not reactive to any problem at all.

Just purely because it's a great idea, and fun, and because Universal can.
You romanticize it here like Comcast is amazing for doing their job, but had they not opened a ride this year, it would've been all of 2015 AND 2016 without a new ride. Do we really want or expect that?

This isn't something just for the hell of it. This is something because IOA hasn't gotten anything since Potter.

I think moreso the fact that it's KONG. It's exciting to receive e-mails with his image splashed on it or to even visit the website and see him added to the ride line-ups. There's a lot of nostalgia at work here, which is usually not something we usually associate with new Universal attractions.

I agree. There are people who walk in the Mummy and then are surprised it is a rollercoaster.
My daughter and I always make up our own text for the signs though, such as, no puking on the ride, no roflmao in the fog :)