Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 269 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Something to think about.
Would universal be dumb enough to take the walls down before Grad Bash is over? Next Saturday night is the last Bash. I'd think they'd be too worried about kids "scratching the new paint job."
your forgetting grad venture follows right after gradbash

They don't really need to keep it open during the grad stuff if it does indeed soft open by then. Soft opens are kind of hit & miss the first days anyway.

I've a question. Sorry if it's been asked before, but here goes. Are softs open? Kidding.

What version of Kong will this be? The advertising is for Jackson's version, but the title is very similar to the upcoming 2017 film. So will the 2017 film look like Jackson's Kong? Or will this reflect the new film and give us an insight into their Kong? It seems weird to link it in title, but not in version of Kong! o_O

Reactions: Sean
I've a question. Sorry if it's been asked before, but here goes. Are softs open? Kidding.

What version of Kong will this be? The advertising is for Jackson's version, but the title is very similar to the upcoming 2017 film. So will the 2017 film look like Jackson's Kong? Or will this reflect the new film and give us an insight into their Kong? It seems weird to link it in title, but not in version of Kong! o_O
Nothing to do with either film. Just some look similarities. This is it's own thing. Softs (technical testing partial opening) have not started yet.

Oh I was kidding about softs, I saw that was a regular ask!

Oh it's not even related to the new film? So new Kong entirely?

My understanding is that it is in the Kong mythos as a whole but prior to the film story as we know it.

The film story that has been remade a few times is crazy director, damsel, island, giant ape, New York, chaos.

This ride is within that repeated mythos before the film crew trip to the island. Where the new film exists on the timeline is something I don't personally know.

Picking a random genre for comparison - think of the Mario games. Basic story that's retold is King Koopa kidnaps the princess and Mario goes to save her. In the randomly created stand alone Yoshi game, it's meant to be before Yoshi meets Mario.

Same universe and mythos, different period of time. Not necessarily the same rendition.

There are elements culled from Jackson's Kong here and there, but it's mostly its own thing.

My understanding is that it is in the Kong mythos as a whole but prior to the film story as we know it.

The film story that has been remade a few times is crazy director, damsel, island, giant ape, New York, chaos.

This ride is within that repeated mythos before the film crew trip to the island. Where the new film exists on the timeline is something I don't personally know.

Picking a random genre for comparison - think of the Mario games. Basic story that's retold is King Koopa kidnaps the princess and Mario goes to save her. In the randomly created stand alone Yoshi game, it's meant to be before Yoshi meets Mario.

Same universe and mythos, different period of time. Not necessarily the same rendition.

Thanks guys, it was the gate/promo of Kong from Jackson's that threw me.

Just curious, do we have anybody on the boards here who is intending to specifically loiter at IOA when soft dates are rumoured to start? I'm sure many locals will head down there once it definitely happens, but I'm specifically curious as to whether anyone has the free time or vacation days available to plan to specifically be there in the hope of getting on for day one? :)

Reactions: Ryno27
Seems like a bunch of us posting on OU have vacation scheduled at varying times in early to mid May. I'd think the chances would be pretty good one of those people will be there within hours of Kong's first soft opening.

Last edited:
There will be Team Member previews before anyone else rides. Until we see TM previews scheduled, there won't be any softs before that.

You don't exactly have to have TM Previews before softs. You could treat it like how Hogsmeade was handled in Hollywood (and I believe Orlando also) where it softed two months before the grand opening. And during those two months, there were multiple corporate events, TM Previews and studio previews.

If I can guess, this would actually make sense, as RoK in a way; is one of the most advanced attractions in the Park itself to date, since FJ. You need to make sure that the kinks can be sorted out, way before the grand opening (which I think will be on those mentioned dates of the week of June 23rd.

If the timelines are indeed correct, then yeah there might not be immediate TM previews. These aren't dates that just pop up mere days ahead; they require advanced notice for all employees to gather their tickets and the ride to be certainly ready to open on that night. Although Kong at this stage is not nearly as behind as Diagon or Gringotts, there is the sense that Universal really needs this thing to have had a couple weeks of tech rehearsals before Memorial Day weekend hits.