Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 90 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Schlitterbahn relationship with WhiteWater is more complicated than that...

Basically, until 2006, Schlitterbahn designed and made slides for parks around the world as NBGS. NBGS stood for New Braunfels General Store and was the manufacturing arm of the Henry family, founder and owners of Schlitterbahn. They were basically a rival of both WhiteWater and Proslide and there was quite a rivalry going on with the three. For example, NBGS was proud to have built Insano down in Brazil to beat Proslide Summit Plummet height record.

In 2006, things changed when Jeff Henry got "bored" and he got out of selling slides to other parks. He sold the rights to the MasterBlaster water coaster to WhiteWater who now manufactures them. Same with the Waveloch FlowRider.

Proslide is like NBGS is that they are themselves the operator of a water park in Quebec, close to their head office. This is the website Mont Cascades Waterpark Parc Aquatique Mont Cascades Ottawa Waterparks and in 1992, they bought the mountain. They turned it from a struggling skiing mountain to a successful year round operation and this is useful for them when designing slides. For a bit of background, ProRacer was the world's fiberglass mat racing slide and the Tornado Alley the first Tornado 24 installation. That slide was originally an early "Dark Mammoth" family raft slide and in 2008, they spiced it up by adding the funnel to the start of the slide.

Reactions: maxairmike
A good half of the parks I've been to have had black slides. Talk about super dark and exciting!

(I happen to like the red yellow and black slides. Looks like lava flow colors to me!)

I wouldn't consider yellow a lava colour personally but I can see the fire connection, however I do like them. I think it's a good way to differentiate the different blocks of rides in the park.

It's insane how closely this water park hugs Cabana Bay. There's going to be awesome views of the volcano from various points in the hotel.
I'm guessing mainly from the new towers, as they'll block alot of other views that exist presently?

Weekend away, nice to come back and see some progress. I quite like the colour of the new slides. I don't think they will look out of place next to the volcano as I assume that will be a dark brownish rock colour. I too made an association with lava, fire and the black could be associated with solidified lava, just a thought anyway. I see some more of the volcano steel has gone up giving it even more shape, just can't wait now to start seeing how the slides pass through the volcano!

Reactions: Joel and Ryno27
Status
Not open for further replies.