Gorilla Exhibit | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Gorilla Exhibit

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yikes! I never saw this happen at Animal Kingdom, which this is.

disney-males-in-water-2_for.jpg

This ain't going to do the trick in hindsight. It needs 10 feet of wire mesh.

africa101-86238.jpg

africa087-86226.jpg
What, that gorilla jumping? That's there purpose built for their habitat since opening day.

What, that gorilla jumping? That's there purpose built for their habitat since opening day.

No. I didn't know the Gorillas could get down into the moat.

Here is what I was thinking of, although I believe this was erected to protect the tigers from people tossing stuff in. I believe it would also dissuade children from trying to get into the exhibit.

asia085-86142.jpg

Last edited:
You know I see a lot of hate being directed towards the parents of the child. I don't disagree with that at all but the zoo is also responsible for making sure that no one can access these endangered animals. I believe the parents failed to protect their child and the zoo failed to protect their animal.

I mean, as far as Teebin is saying about DAKs exhibit, I've never noticed unsafe areas. But then again, I'm always so amazed and mesmerized by the gorillas that I just may not have noticed.

Also, interesting to note, DAK changed the walking trail name from Pangani Forest trail back to the original 1998 name, Gorilla Falls Expedition Trail over the weekend so it would become more obvious what's down the trail.

I mean, as far as Teebin is saying about DAKs exhibit, I've never noticed unsafe areas. But then again, I'm always so amazed and mesmerized by the gorillas that I just may not have noticed.

Have you been exposed to a 3, 4 and 5 year old at all? Many are little devils that love to climb on dangerous things they shouldn't. They have little sense of the things that could injure them, from chair backs to gorilla exhibits.

I was seriously injured by a massive work horse when I was 4 or 5. In that case, I disappeared on my parents and crossed a fence into a paddock. It's a wonder my mother didn't self-destruct at sight of my lifeless body.

Reactions: anihilnation
Have you been exposed to a 3, 4 and 5 year old at all? Many are little devils that love to climb on dangerous things they shouldn't. They have little sense of the things that could injure them, from chair backs to gorilla exhibits.

I was seriously injured by a massive work horse when I was 4 or 5. In that case, I disappeared on my parents and crossed a fence into a paddock. It's a wonder my mother didn't self-destruct at sight of my lifeless body.
I have 2 younger siblings that are 7 and 15 years younger than me, so yes. And working in theme parks I've had to deal with more than my fair share.

I'm honestly not trying to say much about Disneys current set-up. I haven't been in there in awhile, but everytime I've done the trail, Disney has a ton of cameras patrolling the areas and CMs making sure people don't do anything they shouldn't (and I'm sure that will increase after this accident).

I have 2 younger siblings that are 7 and 15 years younger than me, so yes. And working in theme parks I've had to deal with more than my fair share.

I'm honestly not trying to say much about Disneys current set-up. I haven't been in there in awhile, but everytime I've done the trail, Disney has a ton of cameras patrolling the areas and CMs making sure people don't do anything they shouldn't (and I'm sure that will increase after this accident).

Yeah, I must be the first to say I never worried about little children in AK except the "fake Disney black widow" as defined by a dad talking to his son who was just about to touch it. If I hadn't yapped it could have become a bad situation.

I am just discussing this in hindsight as a concern after thinking about Cincinnati and what might be possible at AK.

Yeah, I must be the first to say I never worried about little children in AK except the "fake Disney black widow" as defined by a dad talking to his son who was just about to touch it. If I hadn't yapped it could have become a bad situation.

I am just discussing this in hindsight as a concern after thinking about Cincinnati and what might be possible at AK.
Oh I know what you're saying. Since it was such a huge story, im sure Disney will take steps (likely prompted by legal) to make sure it's as safe as possible.

The carelessness of few always ruin it for everybody. The child's prarents should be fined or charged.

I agree, I think the zoo should also be fined.
Actually after reading this maybe just the zoo should be fined.
First Hand Account to Cincinnati Zoo Incident: It Wasn't the Parents' Fault

In any case I guess we shouldn't be jumping to conclusions. The only thing I'm certain of is a 4 year old child shouldn't be able to get into an animal enclosure of any kind no matter how hard they try.

They had a somewhat similar incident at the Pittsburgh Zoo a couple of years ago. The idiot parents put their little kid up on the ledge wall so he could see better, didn't hold him, and he fell in and got mauled by wild dogs. Amazingly they sued the zoo and got an award of a few million. The parents should have been jailed imo.

I heard the original story about this, but never heard the parents won millions from the zoo. That is just silly. How did some jury award them money when it was the parent's fault?!? Just stupid.

Actually after reading this maybe just the zoo should be fined.
First Hand Account to Cincinnati Zoo Incident: It Wasn't the Parents' Fault

In any case I guess we shouldn't be jumping to conclusions. The only thing I'm certain of is a 4 year old child shouldn't be able to get into an animal enclosure of any kind no matter how hard they try.

This case seems to be different in that somehow the child got in by himself. Enclosures should be able to withstand a climbing toddler.

In the Pittsburgh case the parents PUT the child on the railing, didn't hold on to them (seriously, who does that?) and the child fell in. Totally the parents fault in that case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mad Dog
I heard the original story about this, but never heard the parents won millions from the zoo. That is just silly. How did some jury award them money when it was the parent's fault?!? Just stupid.
Jury awards in Civil Suits just get more ridiculous all the time....Almost saw a disasterous situation this past Saturday. Once again, stupid parent. We were at Ohioplyle Falls Park, on the Youghiegheny River, in the Laurel Mountains. The river was very high with a " fast treacherous current", so there were warning signs posted not to go near the water. We were sitting in our chairs and we watched a guy take his 3 or 4 year old girl, holding her hand, to the edge of the river and they walked in to wade on the treacherous slippery rocks. This was an area you're not even allowed in when the river is lower and is posted as dangerous. As they walked out onto the rocks, they both slipped, and fell in the rapids. They got momentarily separated and the father had to throw his body at the girl to grab her before she got swept down the rapids & ultimately the water fall. He got really lucky and was able to crawl back to the shore before they drowned.

Jury awards in Civil Suits just get more ridiculous all the time....Almost saw a disasterous situation this past Saturday. Once again, stupid parent. We were at Ohioplyle Falls Park, on the Youghiegheny River, in the Laurel Mountains. The river was very high with a " fast treacherous current", so there were warning signs posted not to go near the water. We were sitting in our chairs and we watched a guy take his 3 or 4 year old girl, holding her hand, to the edge of the river and they walked in to wade on the treacherous slippery rocks. This was an area you're not even allowed in when the river is lower and is posted as dangerous. As they walked out onto the rocks, they both slipped, and fell in the rapids. They got momentarily separated and the father had to throw his body at the girl to grab her before she got swept down the rapids & ultimately the water fall. He got really lucky and was able to crawl back to the shore before they drowned.

Wow that is crazy!!! I would never do something like that with my kids. I am not sure why people do this crap. We have a pond in our back yard. I know there are gators in it, I have seen one (a tiny one). So we let our daughter run free in our back yard, but I don't let her within 10 feet of the pond because I can't see the ground as it slopes down and I can't see if there is a gator there or not. She knows to stop and if she wants to climb the one tree closer she is to come back and ask us to come with her. She also likes going to this pine tree that is out of our sight and again she knows to come back and get one of us. I have also taught her what to do when she sees a gator, when walking always look down and around on the ground for snakes, etc. I am not taking any chances. She is also never outside without one of us in eye sight of where she is so I can keep an eye on her. When we first moved into this house we had a scare. Our old house the sliding door was heavier and she couldn't open it, well I guess this one she could and in the morning before we were up and she went outside. We had a long talk with her and that day put a latch system on the door that she can't reach. Every night before going to bed we both check to make sure it is latched. And that is in my own freaking back yard lol

Cinn. Police just announced they will investigate the actions, or non actions, of the parents to determine if there was any criminality on their part.

Reactions: sjago13

Anyone stupid enough to go in those Ohiopyle Falls probably is going to clean up the gene pool a little. Those falls, while not huge, are more than powerful enough to do you in. I live in Cincinnati and have gone to the zoo a number of times. I think that dual-fault applies. Yes, the mother should have been more cognizant but three year olds are quick little buggers. The fencing wasn't sufficient at all. They should have put up some chainlink fencing up to three feet or so high and made sure no gaps were present. It's just an awful situation that didn't have a happy ending.