Future of Dragon Challenge? | Page 22 | Inside Universal Forums

Future of Dragon Challenge?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
DC needs a more interactive queue to bring it up to speed with Forbidden Journey. The Goblet of Fire, Triwizard Cup, and Dragon Eggs are all randomly placed in the queue and not only fail to serve a purpose but are only seen for a few seconds because the line never backs up to that point and you only see them as you are walking by. There is no Harry Potter music playing or audio of any sort once you advance past the entrance tent. It's just a dark cavernous tunnel that doesn't speak "Potter" at all and makes anyone who remembers the old dueling dragons queue depressed since all they did was strip it clean and throw a few potter artifacts here and there. The theming should get heavier as you draw closer to the station.

The ride(s) themselves are fine but could definitely use a refurb/hulk-like track replacement. The fact that they literally kept the exact same Fire and Ice dragon vehicles from DD is pathetic. Fun ride, just doesn't make me think HP at all during 90% of the experience

Edit: Maybe they could theme the pit beneath the coasters to be the Hogwarts lake or Forbidden Forest

DC needs a more interactive queue to bring it up to speed with Forbidden Journey. The Goblet of Fire, Triwizard Cup, and Dragon Eggs are all randomly placed in the queue and not only fail to serve a purpose but are only seen for a few seconds because the line never backs up to that point and you only see them as you are walking by. There is no Harry Potter music playing or audio of any sort once you advance past the entrance tent. It's just a dark cavernous tunnel that doesn't speak "Potter" at all and makes anyone who remembers the old dueling dragons queue depressed since all they did was strip it clean and throw a few potter artifacts here and there. The theming should get heavier as you draw closer to the station.

The ride(s) themselves are fine but could definitely use a refurb/hulk-like track replacement. The fact that they literally kept the exact same Fire and Ice dragon vehicles from DD is pathetic. Fun ride, just doesn't make me think HP at all during 90% of the experience

Edit: Maybe they could theme the pit beneath the coasters to be the Hogwarts lake or Forbidden Forest
This is one of those rare cases where Universal dumbed-down a ride. The cavern passages were much more interesting when this was dueling dragons. There are so many people that cannot ride coasters like this. If they decided to scrap the area and start over I would be all for it. Just think of what they could do with all that space.

Reactions: MrRoamer and Mike S

That would be cool. I like the idea of flying over the forbidden forest. But? Would you be going too fast to really enjoy it?

If we are only getting one ride in the DC plot, I hope it turns out to be a thestral carriage ride through the forbidden forest. Have it be a slow moving attraction that anyone can ride. The ride vehicle is perfect since the story says that thestrals are invisible, so Universal can just put these old time carriages on a track that drive themselves. As much as I would love a crazy Flying Ford Anglia ride or a Quidditch coaster, they need an all ages/all height attraction, IMO.

HE_thestral.jpg

Carriages_POA_1.jpg

If we are only getting one ride in the DC plot, I hope it turns out to be a thestral carriage ride through the forbidden forest. Have it be a slow moving attraction that anyone can ride. The ride vehicle is perfect since the story says that thestrals are invisible, so Universal can just put these old time carriages on a track that drive themselves. As much as I would love a crazy Flying Ford Anglia ride or a Quidditch coaster, they need an all ages/all height attraction, IMO.

HE_thestral.jpg

Carriages_POA_1.jpg

sweet idea, but I am picturing a very slow loading ride. Parks seem hesitant to build slow loading, low capacity rides at this time.

Emphasis on the words speed past. You would go buy them so quickly I don't know if you really get time to enjoy them.

I understand where you're coming from, but i feel like an atmosphere still could amp up the ride. Maybe facades wasn't what I meant, but more like Nemesis with the blood bit. Kraken with the cave, or in a completely different league - Crystal Wing at Happy Valley Park in beijing. It would just amplify the atmosphere, ya'know?

Reactions: Galaxy Defender
I understand where you're coming from, but i feel like an atmosphere still could amp up the ride. Maybe facades wasn't what I meant, but more like Nemesis with the blood bit. Kraken with the cave, or in a completely different league - Crystal Wing at Happy Valley Park in beijing. It would just amplify the atmosphere, ya'know?
In that case I absolutely agree with you. I have enjoyed what they have done with Cheetah Hunt at Busch Gardens and Manta at SeaWorld.

Now that would be the ideal trackless ride... imagine the carriages all going off in different directions through the forest and encountering different creatures. :)

that is such a neat idea. If it was like haunted mansion that is a track ride? How would trackless be different? Or better?

Reactions: Frank Drackman
that is such a neat idea. If it was like haunted mansion that is a track ride? How would trackless be different? Or better?

I think they are implying that each vehicle could take a different path. By being trackless, rides could be different as they could be programmed independently of each other, you just need to be certain that they do not collide, but they do not have to follow the same path (at least that is what I've heard the appeal is for Pooh's honey hunt)...it certainly would add elements of surprise and make re-rides more appealing.

Reactions: Mike S
Status
Not open for further replies.