Revenge of the Mummy (USH) | Page 19 | Inside Universal Forums

Revenge of the Mummy (USH)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I don't see how they could make modifications to the ride when the existing version is already crammed in there to take as much advantage of the space as possible. Would they be willing to reduce the coaster portion to add more dark ride? I guess that's possible.

I mean, it's a decent coaster for what it is, but it has never been spectacular - even when it opened. And the revised ending certainly doesn't help its case.
With my suggestion I made a few posts up, it would be the exact same layout and ride, and only additions and modifications would be additional effects in all of the scenes. I think that's 100% possible, would only take Universal wanting to do it and set money aside for it. Otherwise it's all doable.

I'm wondering how long is it going to take before the mummy is going to close for good or be reincarnated to a different theme I'm hearing that the new mummy remake is supposed to come out but that means that the whole ride itself will probably be changed that's if they pick a new actor to play imohtep what are your guys thoughts in this topic?
Hope they bring back E.T. *fingers crossed*

You guys give me quite a few lulz when it comes to this ride... just sayin...

So having ridden Mummy in Orlando 100+ times since 2005 (woo a full year after it opened).. over the past 10 years, the ride is permanently in my brain. I was excited to finally ride this version out here. While I knew it was different & have seen pics/videos, I was not prepared for just how different it really is. Even though I've ridden it about 10+ times now, I am STILL not used to the how different it is compared to Orlando.... which is not a bad thing at all. I'm used to being able to quote the ride, so its weird hearing different dialogue haha

Could there be some technical upgrades to the ride? sure.. but this is still a fun dark ride/coaster regardless. Nothing needs to be drastically changed, altered or whatever when it comes to the experience... except for the ending. While I obviously never experienced the original eclipse ending, I even found the current ending to be underwhelmingly lackluster.

For the record, regarding Orlando's "making a new mummy movie theme".... yea that aspect actually does not really apply to the ride itself. Its mainly just the first part of the queue line... Once you enter the tomb-esque part of the queue, the "making a new movie" aspect gets thrown out of the window. Except for the poor assistant dude who ends up Imhotep's victim warning you about the curse being real... but even then, he could just be considered a previous tourist who wandered into the tomb. Then the Brendan Fraser video at the end of the ride welcoming you back is... well, its just there for a laugh.

When I rode Mummy last month I got an amusing experience. The car pulled into the warrior mummy corridor, Imhotep is threatening our souls... well the warrior mummies dropped down, but our ride vehicle stayed put. We seriously sat there while the scene reset & heard the entire soundtrack for the first coaster section. Once the music was over, that's when we finally launched, resulting in a silent coaster ride to the scarab scene haha.

One thing that I don't like about Mummy here though, is the fact that I can't really ride it 3-4 times in a row via single-riders like Orlando because the line takes forever... So I usually only get one ride in while there because of the waittime. <_<  Speaking of waiting, I wish they'd make the queue a tad more scenic & add more fans to deal with the heat.

I rode Mummy in January and there weren't really any problems. There are few things I would fix.

1. Launch timing: It's so delayed. The corpses drop for 2 seconds, then the cart launches. It doesn't really make it scary. 

2. The Cardboard Cut-outs: Cheap as hell. Why not projections with Mummies attacking the cart? That would be more scary than some flashing screens. 

3. Beetle section: Why not have a projection where the walls crack? Then beetles comes out. Makes it more realistic. 

4. Ending: Boring. Maybe something similar to Singapore's ending. 

You guys give me quite a few lulz when it comes to this ride... just sayin...
Just a reminder everyone has their own opinion on ROTM and they all have the right to express them. Personally I enjoy the small dark ride segment (hats off to Murdy and the rest UC for what they had work with) but could care less about the coaster portion. I mean I can go to Knott's or *shivers* Magic Mountain for some great coasters. It's always been a paltry experience for me especially compared to Jurassic Park and Transformers so close by. Is it terrible? No, but it definatly doesn't live up to the standard set by its neighbors (which I think is most people's complaint) It's not just good... it's good enough, right? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by a moderator:
The dark ride segments are top notch... although I wonder how long it will take for me to get used to the difference between here & Orlando. My favorite part of the dark ride portion is still the ceiling mummies. Its one aspect from here that I wish Orlando had.

The timing of the warrior mummies & the launch do work against each other. Its a cool effect to have them drop down, but there is no time to really react/get a minimal scare due to the ride vehicle launching as soon as they drop. Of course, the fact that there is only one mummy on each side that drops down also hinders the effect.

Honestly, the blacklit mummy spirits within the coaster section look amazing here.. you can actually see them & it works well. In Orlando, ugh... its awful. I believe they were originally supposed to be projections of some kind, but ended up being a budget cut or something.

The scarab scene is cool... but yes, with the technology that exists now, they could really improve this scene. Sure to the higher-ups, it wouldn't be worth the extra money/effort, but I think it'd improve the experience.

As for the ride ending/finale..... what ending? haha..

I just realized something that didn't cross my mind until just now... while I'm familiar enough with each scene by now, wasn't there a fake fire scene within the version here? I know due to safety regulations, it can't have real fire but I thought there was supposed to be some type of lighting effect for fire.

Just a reminder everyone has their own opinion on ROTM and they all have the right to express them. Personally I enjoy the small dark ride segment (hats off to Murdy and the rest UC for what they had work with) but could care less about the coaster portion. I mean I can go to Knott's or *shivers* Magic Mountain for some great coasters. It's always been a paltry experience for me especially compared to Jurassic Park and Transformers so close by. Is it terrible? No, but it definatly doesn't live up to the standard set by its neighbors (which I think is most people's complaint) It's not just good... it's good enough, right? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Exactly. With today's technology, they can very inexpensively update the ride. It needs updated animatronics, projection mapped mummies instead of back lit cardboard cut outs, more fog effects with projections like in Big Thunder Mountain, updated graphics and resolution for the treasure scene and scarab scene animation, and a whole new ending.

My issue with the ride is that it's so short and visually not impressive. If there was an overload of special effects and more details to see, I wouldn't mind the short length.

If the new mummy reboot does well, possibly they can try to improve the ride experience. Really wish they just improve the ending scene.

I just realized something that didn't cross my mind until just now... while I'm familiar enough with each scene by now, wasn't there a fake fire scene within the version here? I know due to safety regulations, it can't have real fire but I thought there was supposed to be some type of lighting effect for fire.
There was, and it made for a fairly nice conclusion to the plot of the ride (definitely eons better than Florida's odd ending). The revised version, however, is uh, yeah.

Last edited by a moderator:
ah okay. Yay I'm not crazy after all.... well :unsure:  I'm still not sure how an eclipse results in a fire-effect, but that's what I get for trying to apply logic. I agree, they really need to fix the ending because the fog-strobe ending just doesn't exactly work. Orlando's ending begins with the false unload scene (which I love... yay fiery ceiling) & ends with the Medjai symbol illuminating, so technically right now... Orlando has the better ending.

To me, the Brendan Fraser "welcome back" is more of a post-show video rather than the ending to the ride due to the fact that IF the ride is cycling properly, you won't have to sit there to watch it. Also, that particular section of track is where the vehicles can be moved in/out of the maintenance area.

As for the ride time... honestly, I find it funny that you guys say its "too short". Its a 2minute long ride, Orlando is only roughly 50seconds longer due to it having the scarab beetle stop, then the turn-table, & the false unload stop towards the end of the ride. The truth is, neither ride is really that short because the average coaster/ride in pretty much every amusement/theme park is usually around 3 minutes or less (especially coasters). Over the years, parks have added rides/attractions that are longer. Obviously when you have a ride like Transformers (4mins) & Jurassic Park (5mins), a ride like mummy will feel short.

2 minutes is EXTREMELY short, especially when the overall ride isn't that impressive and you just waited so long to ride it. Every single time I've been on it, I hear someone say "that's it?". Every time.

Doesn't matter what makes the Orlando version longer, it just is.

I wouldn't mind the short ride time if the effects were more impressive. There'd be more repeatability.

Not really. I guess having grown up going to Cedar Point in Ohio every summer no matter what state I lived in & having been to a few other non-Disney/universal/sea world parks... I'm more accustom to a 2-3min or less ride time, especially for coasters. Some do exceed 2-3minutes, but not all. And yea sure, obviously 2 minutes is a short ride time when all other rides/attractions in the park range from 5mins-30+mins.

IOA's coasters:

Hulk - 2mins 15sec

Dragons - 2mins 25sec

Hippogriff - 1min 6sec

So no, 2 minutes for Mummy is not pretty short, its average/normal for a coaster. Not every ride needs to be 5+ minutes.

And any guest who says "that's it?" probably had to wait in a long line of doom, because trust me... they say that even for rides that are longer. I know I have, which is why its rare for me to wait for any ride if the waittime is over 10-15mins.

as far as the effects angle goes... I've got one word- "SPOILED" :lol:  The effects within the Mummy are fine, only certain things need to an upgrade, but for what is offered, they are impressive. Its sure a hell of a lot better than a bunch of video-screens & 3D, which is what makes up 90% of the parks rides/attractions. Unfortunately, Orlando has fallen victim to this trend as well with new rides/attractions (for the most part).

RotM has a very intense buildup, and it's the only coaster in the park. When most guests ride it, they'll be comparing it to the other attractions within USH, and not coasters in IOA. In addition, the coaster portion itself (not counting the dark ride scenes) is roughly a minute long, which is short compared to other attractions at the park (and other coasters in general). 

Which ROTM version is worse in terms in stomach churning during drops Orlando's version or Hollywoods

Is there a lights on for ROTM in Orlando to see what the coaster looks like