HHN Hollywood General Discussion - 2017 | Page 169 | Inside Universal Forums

HHN Hollywood General Discussion - 2017

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
But, there are escalators and stairs in Orlando's garages plus the boats to the hotels, plus the bridges and lagoons... each worthy of a drunken folly... right?

Perhaps CA has laws that favor the drunk and chastise the bartenders and company?

But, there are escalators and stairs in Orlando's garages plus the boats to the hotels, plus the bridges and lagoons... each worthy of a drunken folly... right?

I would argue it's more of that you are dealing with the Escalators being IN THE PARK as opposed to outside the park (even though there are a few Escalators in Citywalk and at Parking).

Reactions: Rideguy70
^ I wish I understood the reason for the difference. Perhaps it's the lack of alcohol and the money generated?

From my understanding Knott's and Universal both struggled (at least Uni did before Potter), to bring in crowds during Sept/Oct. since families would avoid the gore so they try to keep the Halloween event's presence to a minimum as much as possible for daytime guests. I don't see how that would matter with a neutral theme like Invasion.

Knott's however said that's no longer going to be the case starting this year, so we'll see how that goes next Thursday.

Could someone who went last night give me a rundown on early entry? I'm guessing it's similar to last year, with one maze starting at 5:15 (Exorcist), next at 5:30 (halloween), and then all three metro mazes at like 6. Is it close to that this year?

Anybody who's gone with a gameplan before, help a brother out. This is my first year going where I won't be able to do RIP or Front of The Line (really upsetting. I won't have a 2017 pass to add to my collection) so last night I designed a gameplan to hopefully be able to get through everything
Early Entry- Saw
American Horror Story
Ash vs. Evil Dead
Insidious
The Shining
Titans of Terror
Terror Tram
Horrors of Blumhouse
Walking Dead/Repeats

Based on yesterdays crowds. Finished everything before 10:3o except for Insidious because Murdy released the password a tad bit to late

Insidious

AHS

SAW

ASH

SHINING

BOH

TT

TWD

TOT

*This is all taking into early entry into consideration

Reactions: chris.g
Anybody who's gone with a gameplan before, help a brother out. This is my first year going where I won't be able to do RIP or Front of The Line (really upsetting. I won't have a 2017 pass to add to my collection) so last night I designed a gameplan to hopefully be able to get through everything
Early Entry- Saw
American Horror Story
Ash vs. Evil Dead
Insidious
The Shining
Titans of Terror
Terror Tram
Horrors of Blumhouse
Walking Dead/Repeats

It's looking like Insidious and the Shining are VERY crowded towards 11 or so, and a-holes love jumping the line on Insidious. Probably should go lower lot - backlot - upper lot, with backlot starting with Saw and lower lot starting with Shining. That's my plan, anyway.

Reactions: HorrorNightsFan13
nope. i said IF it was true... it'd only be a 2 drink beer/wine limit like VIP..... not exactly something to brag about, let alone get hyped over either. Again, having beer/wine at the event was nothing new pre-2015, it was available for VIP.

IF they had sold a liquor-filled mixed drink, then it'd be something to rave about.

Neat, I wasn't talking about you. There were multiple people who told me I was outright wrong. I know what the alcohol rules were for the event, so no need to reiterate them to me. I specifically mentioned that it would be alcohol offered to all guests, not just VIP, and that was correct. Not exactly thrilled that they're selling alcohol at the event, just feeling a little vindicated that my information was in fact correct, just like they were on everything else.

Last edited:
Here's what I'm thinking right now.

As disappointing as this year was with an overabundance of black halls (and it is pretty disappointing), I think this year has tested some ideas and effects that are genuinely great. For example, projection effects in the Shining, in house facades in Roanoke and Ash, the "gauntlet" in Urban Inferno, etc.

Mostly though, I think that the "acted" scenes with recorded lines are getting better ("Here's Johnny" and Ash popping out and chainsawing the newborn are what springs to mind). While Hollywood has always done acted scenes before with Halloween in 2015 and Exorcist in 2016, I don't think they've been as complex as now, with multiple jumpscares involved. I think that if they are going with things like Twin Peaks and The Thing next year, those mazes could really benefit from these sort of scenes (plus from no construction and hopefully higher budget from those alcohol sales; also hopefully an announcement schedule that isn't totally crap)

I can't go this weekend, gotta wait till next weekend. But it's been interesting reading all the mixed reviews. Many seem to love one maze, while just as many seem to hate the same maze. Seems like there's generally not as much consensus this year. YMMV sort of year, perhaps?

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not nearly as bothered by the blackout walls as many are here. To me, blackout wall does not necessarily = bad maze. It means "transition", nothing more, nothing less. And to a certain degree, the blackout sections almost unnerve more than that actual scenes do, as I feel more vulnerable and disoriented (ala Exorcist). Do you people get just as upset when a scene fades to black in a movie, lol?

Last edited:
Here's what I'm thinking right now.

As disappointing as this year was with an overabundance of black halls (and it is pretty disappointing), I think this year has tested some ideas and effects that are genuinely great. For example, projection effects in the Shining, in house facades in Roanoke and Ash, the "gauntlet" in Urban Inferno, etc.)

Man, all this talk of an overabundance of black walls is really bumming me out. I'm hoping I still have fun with the RIP experience.

Speaking of which, did anyone here go and do RIP last night? If so, I have a couple of questions because I know RIP has been gone for a couple years and I want to see if things have changed.

Specifically, are you able to re-enter the lounge/buffet area to get more food and (non-alcoholic) drinks after your initial tour time? I want to know, because if that's the case, they're gonna lose money on my appetite.