Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Epcot (General Discussion)

Exploratory borings for a new retention pond just outside of the Epcot park boundaries have been filed. A retention pond isn't normally built just for the hell of it and there has been rumors of a new Epcot DVC (with exclusive park entrance from the hotel) for quite some time.And no this isn't for GotG, it's on the opposite side of the park behind The Seas.

Will be interesting to see if anything comes from this.

Exploratory borings for a new retention pond just outside of the Epcot park boundaries have been filed. A retention pond isn't normally built just for the hell of it and there has been rumors of a new Epcot DVC (with exclusive park entrance from the hotel) for quite some time.And no this isn't for GotG, it's on the opposite side of the park behind The Seas.

Any details on the location? Off the top of my head, I'd say build a garage in the area typically used for employee parking.. I think it's Imagine lot? Whatever the first lot on the east side is. That would obscure Guardians a bit and then allow more parking for employees and guests during food/wine.

Right now they have to take employees out and anyone who is office/technical or above parks within the berm because the rear CM lot doesnt have enough space anymore.

Let's hope not. I'd prefer to see Disney spending money on rides and attractions in the parks, not new hotels and DVC nonsense.

Let's hope not. I'd prefer to see Disney spending money on rides and attractions in the parks, not new hotels and DVC nonsense.

Well, they are in theory different budgets. It's like asking Disney not to make crappy films and instead build more Epcot pavilions. We'd like it, but the two don't really dictate the budget for the other.

That said, Epcot has long been planned for a DVC or Deluxe resort at the front of the park somewhere.

Well, they are in theory different budgets. It's like asking Disney not to make crappy films and instead build more Epcot pavilions. We'd like it, but the two don't really dictate the budget for the other.

Sure, but money can be fungible, theoretically. Money not spent on another resort isn't likely to just be saved by Disney; they might allocate that amount elsewhere in another budget category.

Wishful thinking, I know!

Sure, but money can be fungible, theoretically. Money not spent on another resort isn't likely to just be saved by Disney; they might allocate that amount elsewhere in another budget category.

Wishful thinking, I know!

On the same line of thinking, that hotel will probably make money which will be reinvested into the resorts to some degree.

Martin seems to think a hotel is likely to come from this work.

Wonderful...
giphy.gif

Disney is probably rethinking all their hotel plans that overlook the parks after Vegas.

I heard there’s a lot of great stuff planned that is in limbo. Lots not remotely approved yet. Can go both ways: GotG as the billboard attraction and the rest of the park is renewed OR taking the park the IP route/ignoring it.

Disney is probably rethinking all their hotel plans that overlook the parks after Vegas.

I heard there’s a lot of great stuff planned that is in limbo. Lots not remotely approved yet. Can go both ways: GotG as the billboard attraction and the rest of the park is renewed OR taking the park the IP route/ignoring it.
The rumor is this would potentially be the second Disney 360 hotel concept after the Star Wars Hotel.

I honestly have no clue what to make of anything happening with Epcot right now. It's clear that everything is vauge and up in the air, and that a clear vision that they keep promising may still be years away. I was just there yesterday and although it's still a wholly unique atmosphere, it's still broken and limping. Everything feels either dated or shuttered in Future World, which glimpses of its former self through architecture, music and glimmers. World Showcase is a gorgeous place overrun with F&W carts. I love how bizarre it is, but its purpose and identity keep getting pulled away. And what will replace it... I'm just not sure at the moment.

It's really depressing, honestly.

Can go both ways: GotG as the billboard attraction and the rest of the park is renewed OR taking the park the IP route/ignoring it.

I would love to believe that first option is a legitimate possibility. It's just hard when everything modern Disney does points us in the direction of the second option. I know Disney apparently understands that Epcot is "special," but we need to see that translate into something concrete.

I would love to believe that first option is a legitimate possibility. It's just hard when everything modern Disney does points us in the direction of the second option. I know Disney apparently understands that Epcot is "special," but we need to see that translate into something concrete.
Translation: Not "Disney" enough

I honestly have no clue what to make of anything happening with Epcot right now. It's clear that everything is vauge and up in the air, and that a clear vision that they keep promising may still be years away. I was just there yesterday and although it's still a wholly unique atmosphere, it's still broken and limping. Everything feels either dated or shuttered in Future World, which glimpses of its former self through architecture, music and glimmers. World Showcase is a gorgeous place overrun with F&W carts. I love how bizarre it is, but its purpose and identity keep getting pulled away. And what will replace it... I'm just not sure at the moment.

It's really depressing, honestly.

I'd be more receptive of change if the park got an overhaul in 2006, similar to the original 12 year gap between opening and its first refresh. But like with DHS (and likely DAK in a few years) the parks were left on autopilot. They heard some clunking and rattling but ignored it as they rode the parks daily. Now Epcot is the get drunk park.

I'd be more receptive of change if the park got an overhaul in 2006, similar to the original 12 year gap between opening and its first refresh. But like with DHS (and likely DAK in a few years) the parks were left on autopilot. They heard some clunking and rattling but ignored it as they rode the parks daily. Now Epcot is the get drunk park.

Technically there was a 2006-2007 cycle, it's when Innoventions got the current blue/green motif and the whirlygigs all got torn out. It was a really really low budget overhaul of the center of the park though.

The rest of the pavilions have been sticking to their cycles though, which is why the attractions that do exist generally have high guest ratings.