Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Toy Story Land - General Discussion

If they had put in a major dark ride and the saucers instead of the coaster, I think that most would be happier. A five minute dark ride vs a 45 second coaster. Of course, I don't see why the stuff costs as much as Disney makes it out to cost.

The TP crowd levels on AK have been really off. TP listings of 2's and 3's have generally turned out to be 7, 8, or 9's....Good luck and enjoy your day. :thumbsup:

I can confirm this. We went last Wednesday with a predicted crowd level of 3. It ended up being a 6. We walked into Pandora 30 minutes before park opening and the FOP line was already at 2 hours. We ended up just waiting until park close to get in line. It still ended up being about 1.5 hours. The standby line hovered around 3 hours all day

I'd argue that FJ is a bigger and more elaborate attraction than anything being added in TSL.
I think that pretty much goes without saying :lol:

Better comparison: Diagon Alley + HE cost a little under $300m.
The only reason I can understand even why costs are semi-high for this land is because if we remember, they had to do a crap-ton of demolition and ground work on the old backlot area before any construction could start.

Even still though, it just feels like wasteful spending. I'd be a bit more forgiving if TSM hadn't gotten a third track in SS1 and a new dark ride was constructed.

If they had put in a major dark ride and the saucers instead of the coaster, I think that most would be happier. A five minute dark ride vs a 45 second coaster. Of course, I don't see why the stuff costs as much as Disney makes it out to cost.

It makes you wonder what "clever" accounting is going on and whether it's like when companies pay other parts of the company to license the name of the company back to itself for tax reasons.

There was an excellent article on Mice Chat a couple of years ago by a former Disney imagineer and he described the processes that escalated costs through the roof. The prime example was a simple sign that could have been procured for something like $50 on the open market and it ended up costing the park thousands of dollars since they had to have it produced by the Imagineers. Kind of similar to those Defense Department military boondoggles you sometimes hear about.

There was an excellent article on Mice Chat a couple of years ago by a former Disney imagineer and he described the processes that escalated costs through the roof. The prime example was a simple sign that could have been procured for something like $50 on the open market and it ended up costing the park thousands of dollars since they had to have it produced by the Imagineers. Kind of similar to those Defense Department military boondoggles you sometimes hear about.
Can you guess which sign probably costs 50 times more to make than the other?

donotclimb-disney.jpg

donotclimb-universal.jpg
Photo by Drew

I love that Universal is even utilizing an old sign that was originally intended for use in a Sci-Fi themed area for the next event. No need to waste money making another one. That's money that could be better spent. Good on them.

Maybe the Imagineer hammers cost $250 each and the hard hats cost $5,000.

We really don’t spend that much on stuff in the DoD. Congressional regulations require comparisons between three vendors and purchasing the item with best overall value. Even though somethings have to be bought from contracted vendors, they’re normally cheaper because of the contract. And if I can find it cheaper on Amazon, I can write a justification to buy it from Amazon.

Anyway, carry on.

We really don’t spend that much on stuff in the DoD. Congressional regulations require comparisons between three vendors and purchasing the item with best overall value. Even though somethings have to be bought from contracted vendors, they’re normally cheaper because of the contract. And if I can find it cheaper on Amazon, I can write a justification to buy it from Amazon.

Anyway, carry on.

That is true. I think that the hammer reference was from the 80's or early 90's. They've cut back on it.

It will be interesting to see what the standby times are with no fastpass, even though there will only be one line open.
I mean, honestly FastPass is a lot of the reason that that Lines get long at all anyway... however, they're going to have one track closed from now until the land is ready as they are tinkering getting the new queue and entrance ready in the back.

I mean, honestly FastPass is a lot of the reason that that Lines get long at all anyway... however, they're going to have one track closed from now until the land is ready as they are tinkering getting the new queue and entrance ready in the back.
Yes, that's why it will be interesting to watch.

So they’ll only have two tracks running? I want to see touring plans historical data....