Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Carousel Of Progress

Is that actually happening? I assumed it would, but it seems like nothing has been official.

It's still going to be a weird hodgepodge of a land though. Cosmic Ray's, Buzz and MILF don't really fit in a Tron aesthetic.
According to Martin, the land will at least have a general identity that will look good once completed as long as they don’t kill it.

Personally, I think with TSL being a thing, it’s time for Buzz to go (and MILF is something that from day 1 should’ve been in DHS), but I imagine the GSATs on both attractions are very high, which is what they pay attention to.

Carousel of Progress: Derezzed
As for CoP, it is slated for an update soon (final scene). Was supposed to happen last year, keeps getting pushed off. When/if it ever happens will be a day long overdue. Also a bit of shock.

As for CoP, it is slated for an update soon (final scene). Was supposed to happen last year, keeps getting pushed off. When/if it ever happens will be a day long overdue. Also a bit of shock.
Does it strike anyone else as odd that the first few scenes jump two decades each time and then the last one jumps half a century? Just me?

Update only the final scene yet again and it's gonna jump 70+ years instead of 50. Yikes how time flies.

Does it strike anyone else as odd that the first few scenes jump two decades each time and then the last one jumps half a century? Just me?

Update only the final scene yet again and it's gonna jump 70+ years instead of 50. Yikes how time flies.

It needs a 5th scene. First two are fine--call them 1900ish and 1925ish. Tweak third to go from the fabulous 40s (which modern audiences think was all WWII anyway) to 1950. Then insert a 1975-1980ish scene about the glories of cable TV--"27 channels! can you believe it?"--and microwave ovens--"makes popcorn in just 2 minutes!" But even that buys you maybe one more decade.

And of course physically impossible. Long overdue to be put out of its misery. Difficult for me to say that, was my late mother's favorite attraction (she saw in in 1964 originally), but it's so past its prime as to be a joke.

It has been ages since I've been to Magic Kingdom but I would say that back in the day my top 3 were Peter Pan, People Mover, and Carousel of Progress. I;m not sure what state it is in now a days but I have always loved it and would be sad to hear it go or radically change.

It has been ages since I've been to Magic Kingdom but I would say that back in the day my top 3 were Peter Pan, People Mover, and Carousel of Progress. I;m not sure what state it is in now a days but I have always loved it and would be sad to hear it go or radically change.

It survived well into the 80s, even early 90s, because the 1940s scene was such a hedge. (It's aesthetic is pure 1950s, even early 60s.) But now it jumps from 1950s to a 2000s that never was, with talk of car phones (and house phones!) and laser discs and voice recognition tech that works nothing like real world voice recognition tech. And let's be blunt, the ca. 1962 Henny Youngman comedy is showing its age as well. Absent the blindness of nostalgia and familiarity, there is nothing redeeming left about this attraction in its current form.

Carousel of Progress is a must-do for me every time I visit Magic Kingdom. Without fail.
I am the same way it is definitely must do at least once a trip. The theme song from that ride will be stuck in my head for days but I love that song. However I wouldn’t mind it being updated somehow that still keeps the theme/feel of the attraction but a little more modernized.

It’s just so charming. Sure, it’s dated, but you can still feel how innovative it must have been when it opened. A rotating theatre! (Which, even after all these years, still tickles me.)

CoP is one of the attractions that really embodies Walt’s design. A love letter to innovation. And I love that WDW is a resort where I can experience, say, Carousel of Progress, Tower or Terror, and Flight of Passage. The resort has such a diverse range of attractions spanning decades and keeping attractions like CoP is what makes it greater than the sun of its parts.

That being said, she could use some love.

EDIT: Just realized this is the EPCOT Overhaul thread. Perhaps we should move TL talk to the appropriate thread.

Its because it was part of the GE attraction at the New York World's fair. Back then it was 1900-1920-1940-1960. The entrance theater featured a giant color organ, and at the end you actually exited where the stage would be onto a giant escalator that took you up to the top of the dome for another show. Then you'd wind down past an atom smasher, and end up in the (GE) house of tomorrow. Because of the design there's no room in the entrance/exit theaters to add a scene.

Its because it was part of the GE attraction at the New York World's fair. Back then it was 1900-1920-1940-1960. The entrance theater featured a giant color organ, and at the end you actually exited where the stage would be onto a giant escalator that took you up to the top of the dome for another show. Then you'd wind down past an atom smasher, and end up in the (GE) house of tomorrow. Because of the design there's no room in the entrance/exit theaters to add a scene.
I get that. I kinda would rather it had stayed as the original rather than jump half a century (or more after they update it.) They call it Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress, yet it’s been altered. Gonna pretend it’s a classic attraction, might as well keep it classic. I mean a lot did change technologically in those first 60 years of the last century, and learning about the past would be more interesting to me then them trying to keep up with predicting the future every time they update it.

I get that. I kinda would rather it had stayed as the original rather than jump half a century (or more after they update it.) They call it Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress, yet it’s been altered. Gonna pretend it’s a classic attraction, might as well keep it classic. I mean a lot did change technologically in those first 60 years of the last century, and learning about the past would be more interesting to me then them trying to keep up with predicting the future every time they update it.

They could always revert it. Then they won’t have to always worry about updating it, just general upkeep. I think that could prolong its shelf life too. If they keep updating the final scene, I can see them eventually just replacing the whole attraction instead. But if they make the choice to lock it mid-century, I think it can stay under the radar for a long time, like the tiki room.

I wish they'd figure out a way to combine era's in each theater (1900-1920; 1920-1940; 1940-1960; finale)