Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

If you can fly the falcon and knock over a row of At-Ats, battle escape will have a lot to live up to. The re-ridability will be insane. This could become the hardest FP ever to get.

Betting DL will be locked to Maxpass for Fastpass, and that WDW will deal with locking those fast passes to only being able to get them on operating hours of visit, and locking it at highest tier.

Betting DL will be locked to Maxpass for Fastpass, and that WDW will deal with locking those fast passes to only being able to get them on operating hours of visit, and locking it at highest tier.

WDW ones may very well be gone when the Club Level guest's window opens. At least for the first month or few.

TBH, I'm not really that excited about the idea of this being basically Star Tours you can control. Basically just becomes a giant videogame instead of a theme park ride. Also I realize it's test footage, but the physics were way off. Could the Falcon really "knock" over an AT AT? Would they really fall over like dominoes? Seems kind of silly, and not at all realistic.

TBH, I'm not really that excited about the idea of this being basically Star Tours you can control. Basically just becomes a giant videogame instead of a theme park ride. Also I realize it's test footage, but the physics were way off. Could the Falcon really "knock" over an AT AT? Would they really fall over like dominoes? Seems kind of silly, and not at all realistic.

An AT-AT has always appeared to be top heavy, and, side to side, they would be unstable. Much like cow tipping(no i've never done it, but it's a thing), an average person can knock over a 1000 pound cow sideways. The dominoes thing is a different story. Not sure if thats just for comic effect or if the software determined that would happen with multiples standing next to each other. Physics-wise, it's a plausible effect.

I hate to say it, but I was not impressed at all. Just seems like another screen ride. I know its WAY TOO EARLY to be judging it though. But that being said, my initial thoughts are that the best part of this will be that you actually get to sit inside the falcon. The ride part itself, I'm not so excited about.

But that being said, my initial thoughts are that the best part of this will be that you actually get to sit inside the falcon.

I think that's really the main draw, though. The ride experience will probably be nothing terribly special (it'll be "good enough"), but being inside the Falcon is what will push it over the top and make it memorable.

Alcatraz will supposedly be the true blow-the-doors-off showstopper in terms of ride experience.

Alcatraz will supposedly be the true blow-the-doors-off showstopper in terms of ride experience.
Out of interest, which one is Alcatraz? The battle attraction or the First Order attraction?

I reckon the Millennium Falcon attraction could be sort of like Mission: Space at Epcot but better, in that you could push buttons and things and add an element of interaction to the experience.

Much like cow tipping(no i've never done it, but it's a thing),

This is very much an urban legend. Just like attributing no thrill rides to Walt Disney's wishes. I'd love someone to have tried to tip our 2,000 lb angus bull. Cows can see much better than us at night and react a lot more quickly. Plus, cows generally sleep lying down. Anybody trying to sneak on our bull would have been found the next morning in a crumpled mess.

Alcatraz is Battle Escape.

I always wonder how much staying power these rides will have. For example, I wonder if Flight of Passage will remain insanely popular once Star Wars land opens. I have a feeling that the SW rides will always be extremely popular.

Yes, those are fairly decent numbers. Not POC or Haunted Mansion level (2880 OHRC) or It's a Small World (2700 OHRC) , but not many attractions in this day & age can achieve that.

As crowded as WDW is, any ride that can't handle 1,800 pph shouldn't be built, with the exception of coasters. Coasters always seems to max out at 1,500. Any ride with less than 1,200 is just not even worth considering. Just my opinion. If Pan had pph approaching 1,500, I wonder if it would have a 90 minute wait.

Out of interest, which one is Alcatraz? The battle attraction or the First Order attraction?

Yeah, as SkiBum says, Alcatraz is Battle Escape (which is also going to be involving the First Order vs. Resistance storyline).

And I think you're right about what the Falcon attraction is going to be, minus the spinning.

As crowded as WDW is, any ride that can't handle 1,800 pph shouldn't be built, with the exception of coasters. Coasters always seems to max out at 1,500. Any ride with less than 1,200 is just not even worth considering. Just my opinion. If Pan had pph approaching 1,500, I wonder if it would have a 90 minute wait.
There are plenty of coasters that do more than 1500 pph.

There are plenty of coasters that do more than 1500 pph.

Usually, we hear 1,600 pph but that is perfect load/unload times and spacing for the mid-course (if it has one). Typically, it is a little lower. Separate load/unload areas should help a coaster's throughput but not by that much. Still, Universal and WDW need people eaters and not clogged ride lines.

It seemed like hype to me. There is no way one Falcon can fly through that hanger, unscathed, and another can crash and burn into the AT-ATs, and not finish the "mission". I'd be kicking the ass of the pilot if I only got to see half of the ride, after what will have to be done to get an FP for this thing, because he sucked. The "interaction" has to be super limited, or there will be riots in the cockpit. Imagine a 6 year old pilot screwing up everything, and a 70 year old grandma gunner that doesn't shoot ANYBODY. There is no way that could impact the ride substantially.

EDIT: : Plus I just remembered these are somehow on spinning platforms, I'm not aware of which way you are facing (radially or tangentially), or even how fast the platform moves, but there is NO WAY one MF could hit the AT-ATs, and one not, if the motion base is on a set program.

So, I REALLY think this is nothing but hype, and the "interactivity" will be similar to Mission Space, with some minor graphics impacted on the (Universal builds nothing but) screens.

Sally built a few shooting dark rides that did have rooms only some people made it in to, but they weren't rides you had to get a pass for 2 months in advance.

Last edited:
Usually, we hear 1,600 pph but that is perfect load/unload times and spacing for the mid-course (if it has one). Typically, it is a little lower. Separate load/unload areas should help a coaster's throughput but not by that much. Still, Universal and WDW need people eaters and not clogged ride lines.

Dave Althoff, a supreme coaster/ride nerd on various parts of the internet, once calculated the more important number... queue entry time. Now, Disney (and to a lesser degree Universal) have totally screwed this up with all the different lines. But, essentially, he pondered that only X number of people can actually enter the entrance of a ride per hour. And if you think about it, 1800 pph is 30 people a minute. One person entering the cattle lane entrance every 2 seconds, and that has to include the invariable kids running ahead of another group, and having to get out. Someone dropping a toy and having to pick it up, and some random doofus having to pick his seat or look around randomly.

Fast Passes add a wrinkle to this, with 2 entrances, but the second one has the "MAGIC touch points!" which really slows it down. Plus then the lines must be put together at some point.

I think this is why Dueling Dragons essentially NEVER had a line. It could EASILY give more rides than people could get in to the castle. Especially after those damn metal detectors were added.

J

It seemed like hype to me. There is no way one Falcon can fly through that hanger, unscathed, and another can crash and burn into the AT-ATs, and not finish the "mission". I'd be kicking the ass of the pilot if I only got to see half of the ride, after what will have to be done to get an FP for this thing, because he sucked. The "interaction" has to be super limited, or there will be riots in the cockpit. Imagine a 6 year old pilot screwing up everything, and a 70 year old grandma gunner that doesn't shoot ANYBODY. There is no way that could impact the ride substantially.

EDIT: : Plus I just remembered these are somehow on spinning platforms, I'm not aware of which way you are facing (radially or tangentially), or even how fast the platform moves, but there is NO WAY one MF could hit the AT-ATs, and one not, if the motion base is on a set program.

So, I REALLY think this is nothing but hype, and the "interactivity" will be similar to Mission Space, with some minor graphics impacted on the (Universal builds nothing but) screens.

Sally built a few shooting dark rides that did have rooms only some people made it in to, but they weren't rides you had to get a pass for 2 months in advance.
The rotation is just for bringing the simulator pods back around to load station. The rotation will likely be slow enough to be imperceivable to riders. The individual pods all have Star Tours type motion simulator capabilities themselves, and they will be able to change their motion profile on the fly.

As far as I know this ride is not a centrifuge like Mission Space. Guests will not load into all pods at same time. Load one pod, rotate to next, unload/load, rotate, and so on

Pandora is around $750-800m. Hogsmeade is around $200m and Diagon was around $250m.

No way Hogsmeade was $200M. Spider-man was that back in 2001. The robot arms alone probably ran 10-20% of that.

However, Universal most certainly gets more bang for the buck. I'm sure Dwarf Hill was $100M+.

The rotation is just for bringing the simulator pods back around to load station. The rotation will likely be slow enough to be imperceivable to riders. The individual pods all have Star Tours type motion simulator capabilities themselves, and they will be able to change their motion profile on the fly.

As far as I know this ride is not a centrifuge like Mission Space. Guests will not load into all pods at same time. Load one pod, rotate to next, unload/load, rotate, and so on

Still meaning the ride length is always the same. So, the interactivity will be quite limited, because no matter how much you screw up, you still get back to base at the exact same time.

This is also why the whole "rendered real time" seems questionable. They are acting like they are rendering some enormous 8k IMAX image at 60 fps 3-D. THat would take staggering computer power. And the tech would be completely lost on 90% of the guests. I'd assume there is a pre-rendered 3-D movie, like a video game level flythrough, with some effects added in/over uniquely for each pod.

Remember, the same guests for this also wake up at midnight to get a Fast Pass for Peter Pan in 68 days, and reserve a cut-rate Fogo De Chao ripoff even further in advance. They don't give a damn about some insane resolution. I've never seen Flight of Passage's resolution listed, but it is at best 4k 3-D, since that would make it the highest digital projection anywhere. And that is of a completely prerendered movie.

Falcon might be more popular initially just due to it being the freaking Falcon, but I’m fairly confident Battle Escape will be the better/more popular ride in the long term.

They aren't being advertised as 2 E tickets are they? At least, I thought Battle Escape was clearly labeled as a D ticket. Lots of animatrons doesn't mean anything really, if 90% are limited movement stormtroopers, and then there are 3 top tier ones. The first Olaf is by far the best animatron on Frozen. Many of the rest are minimal movement with glowing heads. I really think folks are hyping Battle Escape up to completely unreasonable levels. I won't watch a Shanghai Pirates POV, but it seems to have the most impressive animatrons on it. I'm assuming it has like 5 top tier ones.

But who would those even be? This ride takes place after Episode 9. So we don't even know who can be in it. Kylo doesn't wear his helmet anymore, unless some new baddy arrives for Episode 9, or one is created for this ride, what sort of animatrons would we even be talking about besides Stormtroopers and droids? Are we going this gaga over Rey and Finn animatrons?

No one wants screens, but where are there any REALLY impressive animatrons that actually interact with EACH OTHER? Like would be needed for a light saber duel to be happening in the ride. Usually the top ones are stand alone figures, looking at the riders. I guess there could a menacing geriatric Watto near the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still meaning the ride length is always the same. So, the interactivity will be quite limited, because no matter how much you screw up, you still get back to base at the exact same time.

This is also why the whole "rendered real time" seems questionable. They are acting like they are rendering some enormous 8k IMAX image at 60 fps 3-D. THat would take staggering computer power. And the tech would be completely lost on 90% of the guests. I'd assume there is a pre-rendered 3-D movie, like a video game level flythrough, with some effects added in/over uniquely for each pod.

Remember, the same guests for this also wake up at midnight to get a Fast Pass for Peter Pan in 68 days, and reserve a cut-rate Fogo De Chao ripoff even further in advance. They don't give a damn about some insane resolution. I've never seen Flight of Passage's resolution listed, but it is at best 4k 3-D, since that would make it the highest digital projection anywhere. And that is of a completely prerendered movie.
I believe Flight of Passage may be 8k.

I believe Flight of Passage may be 8k.

That would be surprising. I'd assume it is 2 4k projectors. Essentially IMAX Laser level. But for it to be 8k projectors, that are really just now hitting, would be a shock. And I'd think it would mentioned somewhere on the internet.