TRON Lightcycle Run | Page 12 | Inside Universal Forums

TRON Lightcycle Run

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Anyone else worried in the slightest that, aside from tree clearing, there's been no movement on this project? With the impending FOX acquisition, I wouldn't put it past Disney to put the kibosh on the whole thing. This is slated to cost them close to as much as GotG is as a clone.

Isn’t this a 2021 project? They don’t need to start pouring concrete till next year.

Yeah, I was just going to say, they're taking three more years to build this. I would expect once the new showbuildings for Guardians and Ratatouille are more complete that things will shift to this project.

I really can't see it being cancelled. Disney simply has to have a major new attraction at Magic Kingdom for the 50th.

Seems like they could quickly ramp this up as well. The concrete pad and footers should go quickly and then it is supports/track and building. Though hard to see, the TRON coaster in Shanghai doesn't have any major placesetting or AA's. So, it seems like they can move quickly when the time is right. It still astounds me that it will cost as much and take as much time. Someone on Magic provided a great explanation on why but it still shocks me. It is, in essence, a coaster in a box with some lighting panels in certain places. Nothing that difficult as a surface observation.

It takes as much time as Disney wants it to take. They've got some weird internal timetables and budgetary shenanigans that prevent them from getting things open quickly, unfortunately.

I believe no singular, stand-alone attraction should ever take longer than two years from ground-breaking to opening. Full lands, obviously, I'm more sympathetic to needing more time.

To announce a new ride four years before it's going to be open is just a really strange way to go about things, but that's Disney!

Seems like they could quickly ramp this up as well. The concrete pad and footers should go quickly and then it is supports/track and building. Though hard to see, the TRON coaster in Shanghai doesn't have any major placesetting or AA's. So, it seems like they can move quickly when the time is right. It still astounds me that it will cost as much and take as much time. Someone on Magic provided a great explanation on why but it still shocks me. It is, in essence, a coaster in a box with some lighting panels in certain places. Nothing that difficult as a surface observation.

Do you have a link to the cost breakdown?

I didn't mean clone as a slight, or that it was gonna be cheap. Just that they're familiar with the project already and know the ropes.

You can add to this that they have the experience of already building it which should make timescales a bit more reliable since most of the problems should be fixed before they can occur.

Reactions: happy bunny rabbit
I didn't mean clone as a slight, or that it was gonna be cheap. Just that they're familiar with the project already and know the ropes.
My point was that with the cost of it, it may look like something nice to cut to save money in wake of FOX.

But I know I’m just overreacting.

I could see them cutting the futuristic awning from Tron to save money, but not the whole project.
If they cut the awning, then it won’t look like TRON anymore. It’ll just be a coaster in a box like GotG.

My point was that with the cost of it, it may look like something nice to cut to save money in wake of FOX.

I don't think it works like that. The acquisition of FOX won't affect anything park related. They are different cost centers/departments.

That would take away the only external theming the ride has and a huge fail. But I wouldn't be surprised.
It would also go against the reason why they plan on doing a land-wide change in aesthetic and an overlay to the speedway to be TRON-related.