Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion | Page 309 | Inside Universal Forums

Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess each system has their advantages then, but apparently Theme Parks go for the ones that are more efficient. Makes sense, but I guess they would have more of a chance for breakdown then. I assume the SLM's are more expensive also. Is the launch of the Hulk SLM?

Makes sense. I wonder why they would be doing that since so many believe no "real" testing will happen til next spring.:whoo:

There's multiple forms of testing. A pull through just now is really just a way of checking that the track is installed correctly and gives Universal the knowledge that they can safely and confidently continue with the rest of the installation.

I guess each system has their advantages then, but apparently Theme Parks go for the ones that are more efficient. Makes sense, but I guess they would have more of a chance for breakdown then. I assume the SLM's are more expensive also. Is the launch of the Hulk SLM?

Hulk uses a tyre drive system.

Skip to 7mins 30secs.

Last edited:
I guess each system has their advantages then, but apparently Theme Parks go for the ones that are more efficient. Makes sense, but I guess they would have more of a chance for breakdown then. I assume the SLM's are more expensive also.
Not sure how true it is, but according to this post, each Intamin LSM fin costs $8000.

Is the launch of the Hulk SLM?
Hulk's launch uses drive tires instead of magnets.

That's a lot of cash for so many launches in this coaster.

Has anybody heard a budget for this?
If the $8000 per fin price tag is true, that would put us at around $800,000 just for those, plus $11.1 million for rockwork. It definitely seems like they're going all out for this.

Reactions: Ryno27
That video on Hulk was awesome! I just always assumed those fins on the coaster were to act/react to the magnets. Never paid any attention to the tires. Thanks Scott!! Okay, I'll get off Hulk now. But yeah $8000 per fin for HP coaster adds up real quick. This coaster will be great, but like Teebin, Taron over in Phantasialand Germany looks like the one to beat, if you like more speed and thrills. But I think the HP coaster will be just the right mix of speed, fun and astonishment.

Reactions: mainejeff
That video on Hulk was awesome! I just always assumed those fins on the coaster were to act/react to the magnets. Never paid any attention to the tires. Thanks Scott!! Okay, I'll get off Hulk now. But yeah $8000 per fin for HP coaster adds up real quick. This coaster will be great, but like Teebin, Taron over in Phantasialand Germany looks like the one to beat, if you like more speed and thrills. But I think the HP coaster will be just the right mix of speed, fun and astonishment.

Credit goes to @sonoma15 and @jtsalien

I'm also very fond of this video:

54mins is of particular interest in this current expansion climate. Especially since this video is about 20 years old.

I haven’t but they are saving a kajillion $$$ not having to build a queue structure or sound barrier.

They are likely still gutting the interior queue building. And redoing some of the exterior. They aren’t saving as much as you’d think.

Reactions: HPFred
LIMs are 90’s tech. We use LSMs for propulsion because they work using completely static components (no moving parts) making them more reliable and easier to maintain. They’ve also come quite a ways in the last 20 years in terms of how much power they consume. Coolest parts about LSM’s is that they not only pull the train towards the fins but they then simultaneously push it away which creates a stronger, more punchy launch.

Is rock work a generic theming term Nassal uses for theming elements or is this literally $8 million for actual "rock" theming. Where is there that much rock work in this landscape? By the boat dock?

Edit: ahhh I forgot about the cave show scene :doh:

Last edited:
Time for some rockwork baby!

shweeeeet! @NJBrandon any chance you have the permit for Volcano bay's rockwork? I'd be interested in comparing the two

how long until @Disneyhead takes a stroll past Nassal's yard????

EDIT:
Is rock work a generic theming term Nassal uses for theming elements or is this literally $8 million for actual "rock" theming. Where is there that much rock work in this landscape? By the boat dock?

Edit: ahhh I forgot about the cave show scene :doh:

I believe @Alicia mentioned there would be a bunch of rockwork on the load/unload building and queue leading up to it as well

I believe @Alicia mentioned there would be a bunch of rockwork on the load/unload building and queue leading up to it as well
Yea, I think some will be along the first few scenes and/or near the queue building entrance... But I bet the bulk of it will be for a giant cave that will kind of frame the entire back of the ride area, creating a towering backdrop as seen from Hogsmeade and the ride entrance paths.

EDIT: So, thinking of this three-dimensionally, as seen from Hogsmeade's ride entrance: We'll see trees in foreground, rockwork, trees, big castle-style arches, bridges and other structures, more trees, giant rockwork farther away looming in the distance, surrounded by more trees. It should be quite a sight.

Status
Not open for further replies.