Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10) | Page 453 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with this 100%. In my opinion, Jurassic Park is one of the best IPs they have, and also their worst themed area of all their parks. I don’t think IOA is desperate enough for that capacity that we should be excited that they’re cramming a six flags coaster on the lagoon. It seems like I’m in the minority here, but I just think JP has 99 problems and not having a basic coaster isn’t one of them. :shrug:
So I should be expecting this?

1920px-The_Joker_Under_Construction.jpg

Reactions: Coolbfitz
Two Points I made earlier I want to expand on:

1) Seeing the coaster: There is studied and design philosophies around “weenies” in the parks, it’s a known phenomenon and having one of the first things guests see is a fun coaster over the water will draw them to the back of the park. I also imagine it’ll look similar to Gatekeeper at Cedar Point and how it interacts with the entrance area.

2) Fans Setting Standards Based on Disney: Disney's design for about 20-30 years was movie and animation focused then in the 80s and 90s transitioned to a design of themed entertainment that was born from those studying the field, not film. Disney fans started then comparing the output of this secondary level and painting around it while anything that did not fit this template was "bad", even if it was a valid and true. It's sort of a themed entertainment version of Plato's cave allegory.

I think a top queue could change my opinion here. I just want more Dinosaurs. It’s one of the coolest IPs but I feel, and it’s crazy, that the area lacks life. I want massive, realistic Dinosaur AAs. Update River Adventure whilst they’re at it.

My frustrations with the coaster concept is that I can ride a good coaster anywhere...I look to visit Orlando (and pay a lot of money to do so) to be taken aback by unique offerings.

I love Coasters, but Busch Gardens is my least favourite park in Florida. The coasters are great, but it’s the closest park to anything we have in the UK. It’s still better than anything in the UK, but it’s closer (never been to Legoland)

Two Points I made earlier I want to expand on:

1) Seeing the coaster: There is studied and design philosophies around “weenies” in the parks, it’s a known phenomenon and having one of the first things guests see is a fun coaster over the water will draw them to the back of the park. I also imagine it’ll look similar to Gatekeeper at Cedar Point and how it interacts with the entrance area.

2) Fans Setting Standards Based on Disney: Disney's design for about 20-30 years was movie and animation focused then in the 80s and 90s transitioned to a design of themed entertainment that was born from those studying the field, not film. Disney fans started then comparing the output of this secondary level and painting around it while anything that did not fit this template was "bad", even if it was a valid and true. It's sort of a themed entertainment version of Plato's cave allegory.

I think Diagon Alley turned the weenie concept on it's head. I also think that having a weenie across the lagoon isn't going to mean much because not that many people head that far forward from port of Entry to see that view anyway as they most likely have a plan stick to it. But let's say that them seeing the JP coaster is going to get them to the back of the park, they'll probably very quickly get distracted by the Hulk.

As for theming, I think Universal is (For lack of a better description) in the uncanny valley. Where they're getting close to perfect but every imperfection is getting magnified.

So, waste the space that can be used for a new ride? Great idea.

If Kong had never been built in the JP expansion pad, we wouldn't have this problem.
There’s plenty of wastes of space around the resort they can use. No one said they had to use JP. I would’ve been fine if they just did JW at Site B and merely updated River Adventure. Then the Trike area could have Dinosaurs added to it like the ones in Japan.

There’s plenty of wastes of space around the resort they can use. No one said they had to use JP. I would’ve been fine if they just did JW at Site B and merely updated River Adventure. Then the Trike area could have Dinosaurs added to it like the ones in Japan.

I mean they can add the dinosaurs from Japan anywhere. There’s still going to be plenty of spots for stuff like that

Reactions: maxairmike

Universal obviously feel the need to have this in IOA so where does that leave?

MSHI already has hulk.
Toon Lagoon always feels like it's a step away from being replaced although everybody enjoys it.
Kong doesn't have the space.
JP??
HP is getting a coaster
The Lost Continent is prime for retheming so maybe there but what if it is Zelda, do you want an 'unthemed' coaster there taking up valuable space?
Suess is for kids.

So I don't see where else it could go.

The problem Universal faces now that they are more focused on placemaking than they were previously is that it has to fit the theme of the land. JP being themed to a theme park is about the only place that a large coaster could fit thematically.

I'm pretty sure that if the current Universal were building a MARVEL land, the Hulk coaster wouldn't be included.

The problem Universal faces now that they are more focused on placemaking than they were previously is that it has to fit the theme of the land. JP being themed to a theme park is about the only place that a large coaster could fit thematically.

I'm pretty sure that if the current Universal were building a MARVEL land, the Hulk coaster wouldn't be included.

They're building a Hulk clone for Beijing so I think big steel coasters are still in their arsenal but it needs to be appropriate.

Universal Creative is in time out until they figure out how to create good dark rides again

Universal Creative is in time out until they figure out how to create good dark rides again

I hope that time out involves them being strapped to FF Supercharged and riding over and over again.

Off topic a bit but the new Gyrosphere ride for Beijing is sounding amazing, as does Mario Kart, so maybe they are getting their mojo back?

Yes, Jurassic Park is a theme park. One that was owned and operated with the goal to have attractions unlike any in the world. Mainly focused on seeing live Dinosaurs but the recent movies introduced the Gyrosphere. I’ve yet to see anything where they put in a ride that could be anywhere else. After all, the mantra was “spared no expense.”

We’ve also already established that this thing could be really tall so it’s not only JP that will be affected.

Reactions: soilsigh
Yes, Jurassic Park is a theme park. One that was owned and operated with the goal to have attractions unlike any in the world. Mainly focused on seeing live Dinosaurs but the recent movies introduced the Gyrosphere. I’ve yet to see anything where they put in a ride that could be anywhere else. After all, the mantra was “spared no expense.”

We’ve also already established that this thing could be really tall so it’s not only JP that will be affected.
One part will be really tall. Not sure the rest will. My hope is the tall part is on the side closer to Toon Lagoon, sparing Hogsmeade a bad view over the buildings.

Status
Not open for further replies.