Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind - General Discussion | Page 66 | Inside Universal Forums

Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I find it funny that they're hyping it themselves, when it isn't even the first time for any of what this coaster has to offer, especially the Controlled Spinning and rotation; as Universal, Motiongate, Europa, and to some extent, SeaWorld & Herschland would love to have a chat.

Disney, and Universal for that matter, like to pretend that nothing happens outside of their parks. Hence why ride systems that are not new are often hyped up as "innovative", when they're not.

The same thing will happen if Mario Kart really is the Dynamic Attractions ride system. One is allegedly opening next year, but Universal will still say Mario Kart is the innovative one

Phrasing this thing as a "storytelling coaster" just seems really odd to me. It's setting up the expectation that the attraction's storyline is worth emphasizing in a major way. Granted, that's the element of this that we know the least about in concrete terms (if they know specifics, the usual insiders aren't talking), but I don't think many people are realistically under the impression that the story is going to be worth writing home about (and plenty of us are outright dreading how potentially awful and insulting it might be).

Reactions: SkiBum
But wasn't SDMT a story coaster?

They should have named this an OmniCoaster, since they're trying to explain that it's like an omnimover but for a coaster. Story Coaster does nothing to explain the rotation.

Phrasing this thing as a "storytelling coaster" just seems really odd to me. It's setting up the expectation that the attraction's storyline is worth emphasizing in a major way. Granted, that's the element of this that we know the least about in concrete terms (if they know specifics, the usual insiders aren't talking), but I don't think many people are realistically under the impression that the story is going to be worth writing home about.

It’s all garbage. Chapek tried to distinguish Disney by invoking Walt and story. They’ll name more “story” stuff to make it stand out. They’re still acting self conscious after Potter and Universals comminuted output.

A "storytelling" coaster. Sure, okay, Bob. :rolleyes:

"Programmed to direct your eye to the story happening around you." But... there's not going to be anything worthwhile to look at! If insider reports are accurate, anyway.

This is moving so fast and spinning ... so is it RNRC with no screens ... or a couple of huge screens in the distance like GOTG2 opening sequence or VR!?

Love the contrast between companies. Disney reveals almost everything many years before completions. Universal/Comcast reveals nothing, even when it's nearly grand opening time. Gotta make you laugh.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
It’s all garbage. Chapek tried to distinguish Disney by invoking Walt and story. They’ll name more “story” stuff to make it stand out. They’re still acting self conscious after Potter and Universals comminuted output.

Pretty much, they gotta' throw out whatever buzzword or jargon to make themselves come off as innovative or unique. For me, calling this a "Storytelling Coaster" is on the same level of repeatedly saying the future of Epcot will adhere to the parks "Original Vision"...it's all B.S.!

Though I will say it's funny they're calling it a "Storytelling Coaster", when chances are the moment you're launched into the coaster building, there's gonna' be bupkiss to tell a story with. If you're gonna' use any kind of jargon to hype things up, don't call it something which you know the ride can't back up.

Reactions: belloq87
I’m just glad it won’t be themed. I’m sure once it’s done with a few more added trees it won’t be so noticeable.
As is how it should be... Disney doesn't want us to notice this building anyway, just as they don't want you to notice the RNRC gravity building. They want you to focus on the facade and then enter the ride.

BTW, i'm hearing they underestimated how bad of shape the Energy building was in and that it would've been more economical to just demolish and rebuild rather than to do the complete gut job that they're currently doing.

Reactions: SeventyOne
As is how it should be... Disney doesn't want us to notice this building anyway, just as they don't want you to notice the RNRC gravity building. They want you to focus on the facade and then enter the ride.

BTW, i'm hearing they underestimated how bad of shape the Energy building was in and that it would've been more economical to just demolish and rebuild rather than to do the complete gut job that they're currently doing.
Yea, they shoulda tore it down, but I’m glad they didn’t. It may cost them more money, but at least we get to keep the old shape of the original pavilion.

Big showbuidings mean big rides. I'm confused as to why that is a bad thing for an amusement park.
It's not. Look at this very park in it's early years. Every pavilion was HUGE.

Spaceship Earth, The Land, World of Motion, Horizons, Wonders of Life, The Seas (at the time it had the largest aquarium in the US).

All of those are huge, but they were thoughtful enough with how they designed the buildings that they made sure everything was themed and that sometimes you would have absolutely no idea the beast you were about to walk into. Take Seas for example. From the outside, you'd have no idea there's an entire aquarium inside. Or The Land. You'd never know from the outside that there's two rides inside.

Just my .02. I love big show buildings because of what's inside. I prefer themed show buildings.