Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Jurassic World: The Ride Construction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Theme Park Obsession,

Gonna take a guess, they may be dealing with a delay more to the surrounding areas of the ride (Outfitters, Cafe, Raptor Encounter, Queue, and Archway) that's causing Universal to not want to jump the gun on announcing an opening date for yet. There is still seemingly a lot of work to be done, especially with Raptor Encounter and the Archway.

I think the Mososaur screen will make you feel like you're in the film, watching the Mososaur eating the half shark.

Imagine if they renovated another area of the ride to resemble a ruined main Street after the pterosaur attack. That'd be cool!

Or replicate the I-Rex paddock with the gates busted through.

I don't think you understand how much of a difference 40 extra feet is, even if it's just the upper body/head. It'd be like expecting this billboard of Jaws to actually be true...

images

Also, let's also not jump around to different topics. This is Jurassic World: The Ride talk.
Yeah, I’d love to see that outdoor area remain and instead be modified into something else, but if that’s the only place the Mosasaur can be, the tip of the head popping out of such a tiny body of water makes absolutely no sense. That would be like a piranha in a good fish bowl; no room to swim.

I am really hoping it i s open by early july but at this point I have my doubts. I am going to a concert the 10th and was planning on going to the park the 11th and that is the only other LA trip I have planned this year. I was there last week for a show but the day after I flew back early.

I know this screen vs open lagoon thing has been going on for ages but we should reserve judgement until we see POV videos or when people here actually ride it

THANK YOU!!!! Many people are posting like they have seen the inside of the room. Drove by on the tram yesterday and through the tarp you could see all the way through the ride and outside. We just don't know yet what to expect. Maybe there are screens at the top of the lift also. WE JUST DON'T KNOW!!!!

I kinda agree the gates open reveal is cool but I remember riding during summer and super hot and there is no shade in the lagoon. Sun blasting your face as you look up at the anamatronics.

Did they take the gates out???

Last edited by a moderator:
Why does everyone asume that the ones that hate the idea of screens for the Mosasaur wanted an AA of a Mosasaur? I am on the camp of "stop with so many screens" but I am not saying I want a 120 feet AA of the Mosasaur. I am sayin that they should have replaced the old AAs and replace them with state of the art AAs brachiosauri. I know we must wait to pass judgement but I think that we are worried since the last attractions Universal opened were underwhelming. Jimmy Fallon, Skull Island, Fast and Furious, Dreamworks Theater have been let downs and we are afraid Universal ruined a classic attraction. Again... we need to wait but learning that an open space was traded for a room full of screens is kind of a let down

Not sure if serious...

Jaws was a 20-foot shark. The Mosasaurus is 60 feet...

Well... there are some screens but if you turn them off you still have a ride. They are on the background and only add to the ambiance, but the ride is not dependant on them

Last edited by a moderator:
Why does everyone asume that the ones that hate the idea of screens for the Mosasaur wanted an AA of a Mosasaur? I am on the camp of "stop with so many screens" but I am not saying I want a 120 feet AA of the Mosasaur. I am sayin that they should have replaced the old AAs and replace them with state of the art AAs brachiosauri. I know we must wait to pass judgement but I think that we are worried since the last attractions Universal opened were underwhelming. Jimmy Fallon, Skull Island, Fast and Furious, Dreamworks Theater have been let downs and we are afraid Universal ruined a classic attraction. Again... we need to wait but learning that an open space was traded for a room full of screens is kind of a let down

If only there was an attraction about to open with multiple practical effects and AAs. That would be magical.

Well... there are some screens but if you turn them off you still have a ride. They are on the background and only add to the ambiance, but the ride is not dependant on them

I am aware of the ride. I've ridden many times. You take away the projections/screens/whatever you wanna classify it as - you lose all the animal life (like the Viperwolf, and the Hexapede), you lose the Na'vi trekking through the forest, you lose the frogs bouncing on the leaves. Heck, you even lose the Na'vi at the beginning which is just a static doll with a projection. You would just have a glowing forest, and a very impressive AA Shaman. The ride is very dependent on them if the ride is meant to be any kind of enjoyable.

Screens are not going anywhere. Disney is in love with it now, Universal has been in love with it; it's just a matter of how they utilize them. Jurassic World, from what I've been told, will not be screen dependent but will use screens to compliment certain areas. In this case, it'll be to simulate an aquarium.

Outdoor AA's will always be problematic due to being susceptible to the elements, especially when it's surrounded by water. I get losing the open space sucks, but it seems to they tried to remedy a constant problem as the original JP got older.

Well said! Personally, I would've liked to see the Jaws Principle (not showing the shark for 80 minutes of film) applied to Mosasaur and not have seen him at all, but rather FELT him bumping the bottom of our boats. That would have been truly terrifying and preferable to another screen in a park loaded with screens.

What you can't see is scarier than what you can see sometimes.

eh.... no. That would never fly... guests ride a dinosaur themed ride to, you know... SEE the dinosaurs. If you had the big dumb aquatic dino just bumping the boat, that'd be very underwhelming... also very confusing without having seen said aquatic dino prior to said boat bumping...

I've said it before, I'll say it again. They should've just built a brand new ride based on JW, then fully restored the current ride to its former glory by this company that can conveniently provide them with all new upgraded dinos. They could've even added enhancements. Then we'd have TWO Jurassic themed rides resulting in a new land on the lower lot. JP/JW is a timeless franchise that both terrifies & enchants people of all ages. Universal should be capitalizing on it a lot more rather than just having a newly revamped ride & photo-op area.

eh.... no. That would never fly... guests ride a dinosaur themed ride to, you know... SEE the dinosaurs. If you had the big dumb aquatic dino just bumping the boat, that'd be very underwhelming... also very confusing without having seen said aquatic dino prior to said boat bumping...

I've said it before, I'll say it again. They should've just built a brand new ride based on JW, then fully restored the current ride to its former glory by this company that can conveniently provide them with all new upgraded dinos. They could've even added enhancements. Then we'd have TWO Jurassic themed rides resulting in a new land on the lower lot. JP/JW is a timeless franchise that both terrifies & enchants people of all ages. Universal should be capitalizing on it a lot more rather than just having a newly revamped ride & photo-op area.
You’re forgetting that Universal lacks space for that.

I am sayin that they should have replaced the old AAs and replace them with state of the art AAs brachiosauri.

This isn't a major refurb of the ride that already existed though. This is a complete re-theme and re-imagining. I did NOT want them to just replace the mostly non functional animatronics with the same thing, just new. So many people here get so heated/annoyed/upset when things change but this needed changing and not just replacing. I have nostalgia as well, but I don't let my nostalgia ruin anything and everything new just because they replace something. Anyone saying that that first scene was completely immersive and incredible is kidding themselves at least partially. It was broken animatronics and insanely obstructed views, and was a mostly boring scene because of that. All I ever saw was the parking structure/super silly fun land. That would be like me being upset that they removed the falling jeep that literally never functioned anymore just because it was there originally.

This isn't a major refurb of the ride that already existed though. This is a complete re-theme and re-imagining. I did NOT want them to just replace the mostly non functional animatronics with the same thing, just new. So many people here get so heated/annoyed/upset when things change but this needed changing and not just replacing. I have nostalgia as well, but I don't let my nostalgia ruin anything and everything new just because they replace something. Anyone saying that that first scene was completely immersive and incredible is kidding themselves at least partially. It was broken animatronics and insanely obstructed views, and was a mostly boring scene because of that. All I ever saw was the parking structure/super silly fun land. That would be like me being upset that they removed the falling jeep that literally never functioned anymore just because it was there originally.
They filmed the trailer scene for The Lost World on top of that parking garage, so it’s related!!

But I agree, it wasn’t nearly as immersive as Orlando’s, as far as sightlines are concerned.

They filmed the trailer scene for The Lost World on top of that parking garage, so it’s related!!

But I agree, it wasn’t nearly as immersive as Orlando’s, as far as sightlines are concerned.
Did they really?! I had no idea and I feel like I’ve watched every Jurassic bonus feature ever made lol! Do you know if there’s any footage/pics?

Dreamworks Theater have been let downs and we are afraid Universal ruined a classic attraction. Again... we need to wait but learning that an open space was traded for a room full of screens is kind of a let down
While I've never been to USF or IOA I'm gonna have to disagree with Dreamworks Theater being a letdown. In my opinion I thought it had the best use of projection mapping I've seen in a while, both in the preshow and in the final scenes of the attraction. If they could do something like that, then I'm certain they could enhance the scenes inside the final building with projection mapping.

Also, as great as the opening scene of the original was, the sightlines of the upper lot stuck out like a sore thumb, so I think the coverage of that sight line via a show building was for the better. Besides, I think the rest of the ride is still gonna be good, since I don't think Universal would want to give away the good bits of the ride before it even opens.

Status
Not open for further replies.