Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Avengers: Endgame (2019)

Can someone help out here? :lol:

We are talking about 2 different instances of time travel. 2014 Thanos travels to the future due to the 2014 Nebula tricking the team, however, he is still "Past" Thanos. Remember, per the rules, changing the past does not alter the future, just creating a new branched timeline. The only thing Past Thanos affects is the 2014 reality, and his departure creates that timeline branch. The Prime Line remains constant, and that's the time Past Thanos joins - leaving his 2014 timeline branch to be whatever it is. That's why when Past Nebula died, Present Nebula didn't.

In Steve's case, he is Present Steve going back in time. He remains Present Steve even in the past. The only branch it affects is Past Peggy. A safe bet is because Present Steve knows about the Prime Line and how the whole thing went down, he was able to branch back at that point where he gives the shield to Sam.
It’s literal multiverse theory rather than time travel. The “branches” are actually alternate universes.

The rules, as established, don't explain how Steve was able to return to the prime timeline without the use of the Pym Particle Time Machine. And it can't be that he just "waited it out" and his alternate reality with Peggy just reconnected with the prime one... because the filmmakers are now on record explicitly saying that's NOT the case.

@belloq87 says it how I see it. He can't just wish his way across timelines. He needs the machine. And everything they show in the movie, it has to be the same machine. Tony's math doesn't account for alternate realities and timelines. Steve is not Tony. Even knowing he was in another timeline doesn't mean he can change which one he's in.

As for the Russo's. If you had a plot hole in your multi-billion dollar movie, would you say it's a plot hole or just say, no, you just don't know how it works. wink wink nudge nudge?

Duh, I can't believe I forgot this crucial point. He went back with the Time Band Device. Problem solved. That's how he gets back. :lol:

Duh, I can't believe I forgot this crucial point. He went back with the Time Band Device. Problem solved. That's how he gets back. :lol:
The time band would have dropped him back on that pad they were all standing around.

But we are just going in circles.

The time band would have dropped him back on that pad they were all standing around.

But we are just going in circles.

Well, at that point, you’re nitpicking. :lol: They obviously took a bit of artistic license there for dramatic effect.

But you have the how....

So then how did Steve staying in the past not create a branched timeline? How is old Steve sitting on the bench? He went back and changed the past and it affected his future/our present.

The way I assumed was he was always Peggy's husband, just undercover. He knew as long as he let events play out it wouldn't create an alternate timeline. All he did was close a loop.

Yeah, I mean if Loki is really going to be jumping around in time to do whatever he wants during his TV show, I think it means they'll just twist things as they need.

Eventually they'll decide whether they want 2012 Loki to time travel to the present MCU timeline to meet Thor. If Hemsworth has retired his role by then, I think they'll just leave Loki and the Tesseract in the past...
Keeping Hemsworth around shouldn't be an issue as long as the money's there. He said during Endgame press rounds that he would continue playing Thor 'forever' if they would let him.

That being said, i'm conflicted on if I want Loki coming back to the movies. I feel like we've seen a healthy dose of Loki in different roles and I don't know how much more he would add to the future of the MCU.

...Nebula still alive?

Otherwise, damn near everything I wanted. Fantastic conclusion to the Infinity Saga.

With possibly the exception of GotG 3, this will probably be the last MCU movie I see in quite a while. That's not an insult--this was just such a great stopping point.

I'd say go see it, but everyone has already, LOL.

I'd say go see it, but everyone has already, LOL.
The crazy thing is I know at least three people who are big MCU geeks, have seen all movies, etc and haven't been able to see it yet due to screenings being sold out and having to figure out a time to see it around their work schedule. There's still a ton out there that want to see it that haven't, which I just find fascinating.

Keeping Hemsworth around shouldn't be an issue as long as the money's there. He said during Endgame press rounds that he would continue playing Thor 'forever' if they would let him.

That being said, i'm conflicted on if I want Loki coming back to the movies. I feel like we've seen a healthy dose of Loki in different roles and I don't know how much more he would add to the future of the MCU.
Yeah, ultimately, they'd have to think hard about whether we even need more Thor/Loki relationship development. I think both characters know where they stand and their relationship is a "completed arc" like Thor's relationship with both parents after Ragnarok and Endgame.

At this point, any Loki appearances in the MCU would just feel like fanservice, especially given how many other characters are going to need development in the big ensemble movies. Loki's sort of played every role he can in the movies, not sure he can be used in yet another way.

It's probably time to focus on Black Panther/Dr. Strange/Captain Marvel/etc. and how their relationships will develop in the next round of the MCU as well as beginning the rollout of the next arc's supervillain.

She’s going to live.

Steve goes back to Peggy and starts a new alternative timeline. One in which he’s married to her but there’s another frozen Steve. Frozen Steve, of course will still have everything stay the same; have to fight Thanos, go through the snap, etc in his timeline, and even go back in time to Peggy.

In that same alternative reality, Old man Steve shows up to avengers HQ with Peggy. They suit up together and go to the soul stone with black widow and Hawkeye. Steve is pretty much over Peggy at this point after being married some odd 50 years with everything she does driving him insane. She’s been on his arse about leaving his socks on the floor for 5 decades. Her meatloaf sucks and yet she still makes it every Wednesday. She got $12k on credit card bills. He’s basically over it, so he pushes Peggy off the cliff.

Black Widow and Old Cap go back to original timeline where we see cap joyfully staring at the lake pondering the first freedom he’s had in decades.

:lol:

Yeah, ultimately, they'd have to think hard about whether we even need more Thor/Loki relationship development. I think both characters know where they stand and their relationship is a "completed arc" like Thor's relationship with both parents after Ragnarok and Endgame.

At this point, any Loki appearances in the MCU would just feel like fanservice, especially given how many other characters are going to need development in the big ensemble movies. Loki's sort of played every role he can in the movies, not sure he can be used in yet another way.

It's probably time to focus on Black Panther/Dr. Strange/Captain Marvel/etc. and how their relationships will develop in the next round of the MCU as well as beginning the rollout of the next arc's supervillain.
I see the “new” Avengers line-up being lead by Captain Marvel/Black Panther/Doctor Strange/Thor/Ant-Man & Wasp (more Wasp due to leadership)/Shang-chi/Spider-Man

With the Russos saying that (and since it seems that spoiler-y media may be coming), this thread will end the spoiler ban come Monday as well.

I have to say, this is brilliant marketing. Don’t want to be spoiled? See it opening night. For sure don’t? See it opening weekend. Last chance! See it in our record breaking second weekend.

More stuff from Russo regarding the ending, and a few other answers. From an interview in China.

Q: Did Captain America’s action at the end affect the timeline? Does that mean there was a time where two CA existed in a same universe?

A: To me, CA’s action in the end wasn’t the fact he wanted to change anything, it’s more like me has made a choice. He chose to go back to past and lived with the one he loved for the rest of his life. The time travel in this movie created an alternate reality. He lived a completely different life in that world. We don’t know how exactly his life turned out, but I’d like to believe he still helped many others when they were needed in that world. Yes, there were two CA in that reality, it’s just like what Hulk said, what happened in the past has already happened. If you go back to past, you simply created a new reality. The characters in this movie created new timeline when they went back to the past, but it had no effect to the prime universe. What happened in the past 22 movies was still canon.

Q: EG’s plot, is it a parallel universe or a closed time loop?

A: Nope, not a time loop. Both Ancient One and Hulk were right. You can’t change the future by simply going back to past. But it’s possible to create a different alternate future. It’s not butterfly effect. Every decision you made in the past could potentially create a new timeline. For example, the old Cap at the end movie, he lived his married life in a different universe from the main one. He had to make another jump back to the main universe at the end to give the shield to Sam.

Q: Peggy Carter was probably already married and in her mid 40s in 1970, in that case what year was it that Captain America went back to dance with her?

A: We can't answer it for now, this is a story that happened in an alternate reality. Maybe it will be revealed in the future.

Q: Can you get the soul your sacrificed for the Soul Stone back when you return it?

A: No, the process is irreversible. Even if you have returned it to its original location, you wouldn't be able to get the person back. In fact, it's not really returning the stone, more like put it back properly. The tribute soul for the soul stone will forever be sealed in that place, therefore Black Widow is gone forever.

With the Russos saying that (and since it seems that spoiler-y media may be coming), this thread will end the spoiler ban come Monday as well.

I have to say, this is brilliant marketing. Don’t want to be spoiled? See it opening night. For sure don’t? See it opening weekend. Last chance! See it in our record breaking second weekend.

I'm curious to see how this will do at the box office overall. With such a strong opening, will most people who will go to see it already have seen it?

Comparing this to Avatar, Endgame feels like a sprint and Avatar was more of a marathon.

I'm definitely planning another trip back to see it again before the run finishes however.

I'm curious to see how this will do at the box office overall. With such a strong opening, will most people who will go to see it already have seen it?

Comparing this to Avatar, Endgame feels like a sprint and Avatar was more of a marathon.

I'm definitely planning another trip back to see it again before the run finishes however.
It’s expected to make $153-155M at the bottom end, which would already be a second weekend record. Those are thought to be conservative predictions however with it going north of $160M and possibly even creeping on $170M.

I don’t think what Avatar did is possible anymore. A movie that only had a $77M US open going on to gross over $700M domestic and $2.78 BILLION worldwide is just incredible. A testament to the way Avatar was marketed (and then word of mouth), really.

I need to go watch it again but this time in imax 3D.
My plan too. Pointe Orlando tomorrow, in all likelihood.

Seems pretty clear from the Russo bros. interviews this past week that Steve uses the machine to return to the timeline. They just took some artistic license by having him appear on the bench.

Not a big deal imo because it was more fitting having him just sitting there rather than a 100+ year old man just show up in the middle of the machine.