Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Avengers: Endgame (2019)

More stuff from Russo regarding the ending, and a few other answers. From an interview in China.

Q: Peggy Carter was probably already married and in her mid 40s in 1970, in that case what year was it that Captain America went back to dance with her?

A: We can't answer it for now, this is a story that happened in an alternate reality. Maybe it will be revealed in the future.
I love this answer if only because they clearly don't have an actual answer and possibly didn't think it all the way through.

I would assume that when Cap was done living his life over there he met up with Stark and/or Pym and had them create the machine to send him back. The machine drops you off and you only return to the pad. So a second machine from the alt universe could drop him off somewhere else so that he could be there on the bench. I applaud their efforts to make an understandable and grounded "time travel" mechanic and people really need to stop overthinking it and bringing in preconceived expectations of how it should work based off other movies, which they spend a few good minutes calling out and explaining.

I also saw it in IMAX 3D at the pointe and was very disappointed. Terrible glasses and terrible 3D transfer. Way better in Dolby but I am a sucker for a crisp image and top notch sound. 3d really only ever seems worth it at the movies when its actually made for it (Alita and Avatar) or an animated movie.

I love this answer if only because they clearly don't have an actual answer and possibly didn't think it all the way through.

Or it deals with something that will be answered in a future release (Probably on a certain Disney + show)

Or it deals with something that will be answered in a future release (Probably on a certain Disney + show)
Idk, I guess I just read it wrong, it's hard to tell through text sometimes. I didn't get the vibe that they hard anything planned initially, but just sort of a "maybe".

Idk, I guess I just read it wrong, it's hard to tell through text sometimes. I didn't get the vibe that they hard anything planned initially, but just sort of a "maybe".

After everything in the MCU, especially lately, it doesn’t seem they execute anything without some sort of payoff or reason, especially something this big.

I would assume that when Cap was done living his life over there he met up with Stark and/or Pym and had them create the machine to send him back. The machine drops you off and you only return to the pad. So a second machine from the alt universe could drop him off somewhere else so that he could be there on the bench. I applaud their efforts to make an understandable and grounded "time travel" mechanic and people really need to stop overthinking it and bringing in preconceived expectations of how it should work based off other movies, which they spend a few good minutes calling out and explaining.

I also saw it in IMAX 3D at the pointe and was very disappointed. Terrible glasses and terrible 3D transfer. Way better in Dolby but I am a sucker for a crisp image and top notch sound. 3d really only ever seems worth it at the movies when its actually made for it (Alita and Avatar) or an animated movie.
What Dolby theatre did you see it at? Disney Springs or Altamonte Mall (I assume Springs)?

Seems pretty clear from the Russo bros. interviews this past week that Steve uses the machine to return to the timeline. They just took some artistic license by having him appear on the bench.

Not a big deal imo because it was more fitting having him just sitting there rather than a 100+ year old man just show up in the middle of the machine.
Just so i'm 100% on the time travel laws in the movie, once you use the machine to go to another time period, it simply creates an alternate timeline - as long as you go back. Say Cap had died when going back to get some of that life, that screws up 2023 so then his death would become permanent in whatever time he died in and then it WOULD alter time? Yes? No?

Probably a LieMax theater. They are hardly any true IMAX/70 theaters anymore and I dont even think they bothered to strike real IMAX prints. Its just a fancy name now for a screen they moved closer to the seats. The most you can hope for nowdays is IMAX Laser, but DolbyVision already beat that .

Just so i'm 100% on the time travel laws in the movie, once you use the machine to go to another time period, it simply creates an alternate timeline - as long as you go back. Say Cap had died when going back to get some of that life, that screws up 2023 so then his death would become permanent in whatever time he died in and then it WOULD alter time? Yes? No?

If I'm following correctly - short answer is yes AND no. :lol:
Once he leaves the Prime Line in 2023, Prime Line no longer has Capt America - meaning the present carries on. If Prime Steve dies, it alters his and Peggy's life reality - but Prime remains constant. They'd just have no idea he died.

Yeah it's like @Brian G. said. Once you go into the past and change stuff, those changes only affect branch-offs of the past timeline. The changes have no effect on the "present time MCU"...

So Steve could screw up anything in the past timeline and it'll just create alternate branch offs, those have no effect on the present. He could have died and never came back, and it wouldn't change anything in the present.

That's why it's pretty clear that he had to use the machine to return to the present with the new shield for Falcon. Anybody in the past timelines or branch-offs has to leap into the present timeline to be present.

Same applies to 2012 Loki, 2012 Loki uses the Tesseract to escape, but all his adventures after that (the Disney+ premise) will only affect branch-off timelines. Only if he makes a "leap" into the "present time MCU" can he have any impact on the present.

Last edited:
If I'm following correctly - short answer is yes AND no. :lol:
Once he leaves the Prime Line in 2023, Prime Line no longer has Capt America - meaning the present carries on. If Prime Steve dies, it alters his and Peggy's life reality - but Prime remains constant. They'd just have no idea he died.
Yeah it's like @Brian G. said. Once you go into the past and change stuff, those changes only affect branch-offs of the past timeline. The changes have no effect on the "present time MCU"...

So Steve could screw up anything in the past timeline and it'll just create alternate branch offs, those have no effect on the present. He could have died and never came back, and it wouldn't change anything in the present.

That's why it's pretty clear that he had to use the machine to return to the present with the new shield for Falcon. Anybody in the past timelines or branch-offs has to leap into the present timeline to be present.

Same applies to 2012 Loki, 2012 Loki uses the Tesseract to escape, but all his adventures after that (the Disney+ premise) will only affect branch-off timelines. Only if he makes a "leap" into the "present time MCU" can he have any impact on the present.
Thanks. I was having trouble understanding exactly when people affect the prime time after they leave it so that all helped. :thumbsup:

On the box office front, I think there's very little doubt now that this movie will pass Avatar's $2.78B record now and I think it'll pass TFA's domestic total and become the first Billion dollar earner in a single country. I just don't see how this movie will slow down quick enough to NOT pass the Avatar total.

On the box office front, I think there's very little doubt now that this movie will pass Avatar's $2.78B record now and I think it'll pass TFA's domestic total and become the first Billion dollar earner in a single country. I just don't see how this movie will slow down quick enough to NOT pass the Avatar total.

Agreed. It’ll pass $2B by weekend’s end - and it seems be a freight train overseas.

Frankly, understanding the science rules of "Rick and Morty" (of all things) makes grasping the time rules of Endgame much easier to grasp. The show has consistently ruined alternate dimensions, and had R&M move to a new one.

Endgame follows the same concept, just adding time travel to the process.

We're getting pretty close to the point where $3 billion might be the minimum haul...; it's expected to pass Infinity War this weekend and reach somewhere around $2.2-2.3 billion. Just an insane total for a movie to make in 10-12 days...

I also think that weeks 3+ will feature a lot of repeat business that will support strong holds for weekends to come; really hard to see how it falls under $3 billion in that scenario.

This is our generation's Star Wars... the movie that permanently destroys the notion of a ceiling for what blockbusters can achieve.

Last edited:
We're getting pretty close to the point where $3 billion might be the minimum haul...; it's expected to pass Infinity War this weekend and reach somewhere around $2.2-2.3 billion. Just an insane total for a movie to make in 10-12 days...

I also think that weeks 3+ will feature a lot of repeat business that will support strong holds for weekends to come; really hard to see how it falls under $3 billion in that scenario.

This is our generation's Star Wars... the movie that permanently destroys the notion of a ceiling for what blockbusters can achieve.
Yup, it’s crazy how much money the movie is bringing in in such a short time. It’s already the highest grossing foreign release in China, too, at over $500M.

I saw this movie 3 times opening weekend. Thinking about a 4th. I think the last movie I saw more than 3 times in theaters was The Dark Knight. At least 2 viewings is almost required if your are an MCU fan. You catch stuff you missed the first time around. It’ll be interesting to see what the number for this weekend is. I’m sure a lot of people will be in for their second viewing.

Yeah, i've still only seen it once. Definitely need to see it AT LEAST 1-2 more times because I know there's stuff I missed/need to pay more attention to.