Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HBO's Game of Thrones

Ok now I've got my being sympathetic out of the way.
-- What on earth is up with Greyworm. I just don't even understand.
-- Wasted death for Daenerys (why did she have to die literally instantaneously when so many characters have remained alive long enough to deliver a parting oration after being despatched)
-- Jon returning to the Night's Watch and literally transitioning from standing in the throne room of the Red Keep to being an absolute nobody in the space of half an episode
-- Totally unnecessary visual borrowings from other 'big' franchises -- namely Daenerys' speech being so Gleeson in front of the First Order from The Force Awakens, and having Jon sail North instead of ride just to ape the LOTR Grey Havens farewell scene

Uhhhhh.
1). Greyworm went from someone who was emotionless to someone who grew to care about two people, both who are now dead so he doubles down in the opposite direction.

2). She gave her monologue before she died, that’s the point.

3). I don’t understand this complaint? That’s the point? That’s his punishment they spell that out pretty clearly.

4). To assume that the iconography of an army being talked down to by a leader originated from Star Wars is drawing from a shallow pool of reference. It’s a call back to the work of Leni Riefenstahl, who documented Nazi rallies through film during Hitler’s reign, which is what Star Wars is referencing as well. This is a pretty common trope. Jon killed Daenerys Targaryen, he’s not going to take roads where many people may want him dead. Taking the seas would be the safer option.

4). To assume that the iconography of an army being talked down to by a leader originated from Star Wars is drawing from a shallow pool of reference. It’s a call back to the work of Leni Riefenstahl, who documented Nazi rallies through film during Hitler’s reign, which is what Star Wars is referencing as well. This is a pretty common trope. Jon killed Daenerys Targaryen, he’s not going to take roads where many people may want him dead. Taking the seas would be the safer option.

I understand history thanks :lol: It's still a lazy repetition when there's an obvious and very recent cultural invocation of the same thing.

I understand history thanks :lol: It's still a lazy repetition when there's an obvious and very recent cultural invocation of the same thing.
Then why bring it up? Iconography isn’t lazy, the point of it is to recall emotions or associated feelings with the imagery presented. If Daenerys has turned into a fascist leader why not reference fascist imagery?

Things I liked:

Where the Starks ended up (Except Bran). It made sense for all of them.
Jon killing Dany, when he realized her views are a little skewed.
Tyrion remains to be the best thing of the show this season.. and the scene finding Jaime and Cersei under the rubble, then showing up and defying Dany afterward was fantastic.

That's it. :lol:

Last edited:
Since I did not read the books, but at least in the show was there at least any kind of hint/foreshadowing about Bran being the right fit for king? I understand that the show may have failed to truly show the power/knowledge Bran has. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is Tyrion having a chat with Bran before the Battle of Winterfell. It just seemed too out of left field for me considering he was not in the last two episodes at all from what I recall.

Holy Forking Shirt! I need a minute (or hours or days to process this series finale). I had my expectations low, but GD WTF were the showrunners thinking? I'm tired AF right now, but I think they left more questions than answered. I understand the bittersweet ending that GRRM promised, but FU. Not satisfying in the least.

I read the books as they were originally released (starting last century) and am quite happy I don’t have I read any more of them.

Now I just have to deal with Patrick Rothfuss and my fantasy nightmare will be over.

Things I liked:

Where the Starks ended up (Except Bran). It made sense for all of them.

50/50 on this. Fine with Sansa becoming Queen of the North.

Fine with the visuals of Jon--could have earned a lot more points with me had Tyrion said "exiled to the Free Folk" rather than "the Night's Watch" (lampshading a plot hole--"Does the Nights Watch even exist any more?"--doesn't make it less of a plot hole). Also would've helped to have a 2-minute scene in Winterfell where Sansa offers to pardon him as far as the North is concerned, only to have Jon choose to join the Wildings.

Arya was out of left field. As the personification of death, she should have died last week. Was foreshadowed by the Hound earlier on, and that last scene just screamed symbolism. I get they are going for a Chinese mythology thing here, but where did the Starks get a boat? Who is crewing this suicide voyage? Worst kind of fan service, keeping a character alive because fans will cry online. And Jon got a good-bye with Snow, she didn't feel a need to seek out Nymeria?

Bran. What. In. Seven. Hells??? Did they forget to include a scene where he lost his magic? Which, why would he? Zero foreshadowing in book or show. Completely out -of-character. Not even fan service, just a twist for the sake of metaphorically screaming "What a twist!" at the audience.

Jon killing Dany, when he realized her views are a little skewed.
Tyrion remains to be the best thing of the show this season.. and the scene finding Jaime and Cersei under the rubble, then showing up and defying Dany afterward was fantastic.That's it. :lol:

Agreed on this. The Jon/Dani scene was rushed, but outside of context, it was actually really well done. I also enjoyed Brienne's two final scenes, especially the one with the White Book. To the show's credit, there were some beautiful visuals as well (thinking the scene with Drogon behind Dani). And Bronn upjumping from a sellsword to the Lord of Coin was a funny bit of fan service, even if the scene went on too long.

I honestly thought the first 20 minutes were just going to be Tyrion walking through the ruins of King's Landing. It wouldn't felt right in line with this season's decision-making.

That said, I don't think this episode was actually good. Everything that played with Dany, Jon, and the Iron Throne was absurd and ham-handed. Tyrion's "this is what we learned" monologue was laughably unsubtle. It the bow got wrapped a bit too neatly for this world.

But, for the characters that matter (the Starks + Tyrion), this was the happiest ending they could get that made (narrative) sense - for the most part. In that sense, it was satisfying.

The bigger issue is how very little of what ACTUALLY happened through the story, including the big reveals, didn't matter in the end. Jon didn't have to be a Targyrian. Arya didn't have to really go to Braavos. Bran didn't "have" to become the Three Eyed Raven. Nothing Sansa did was necessary. Warging didn't matter. In that sense, yeah, there's a lot of questions (or one big question; "What was the point?).

And maybe that was point.

Just think of all those people who named their daughters after Dragon Stalin.

Fine with the visuals of Jon--could have earned a lot more points with me had Tyrion said "exiled to the Free Folk" rather than "the Night's Watch" (lampshading a plot hole--"Does the Nights Watch even exist any more?"--doesn't make it less of a plot hole). Also would've helped to have a 2-minute scene in Winterfell where Sansa offers to pardon him as far as the North is concerned, only to have Jon choose to join the Wildings.

This x10000. Also, the only reason he needed to be exiled was Grey Worm...who promptly left Westeros with the Unsullied right away? Why not bring Jon back immediately after they're gone!?

Bran. What. In. Seven. Hells??? Did they forget to include a scene where he lost his magic? Which, why would he? Zero foreshadowing in book or show. Completely out -of-character. Not even fan service, just a twist for the sake of metaphorically screaming "What a twist!" at the audience.

The entire Three-Eyed Raven storyline was garbage, and Bran getting elected (let's not even get into the fact that this new system of government will have Westeros back in a state of total war in a few years tops) felt like a spit in the face.

This x10000. Also, the only reason he needed to be exiled was Grey Worm...who promptly left Westeros with the Unsullied right away? Why not bring Jon back immediately after they're gone!?

The entire Three-Eyed Raven storyline was garbage, and Bran getting elected (let's not even get into the fact that this new system of government will have Westeros back in a state of total war in a few years tops) felt like a spit in the face.
Everytime i hear or see "Bran the broken" i effing cringe:chainsaw:. No.. no.. no!

Speaking of lack of government, doesn't Westeros suddenly have a couple hundred (thousand?) suddenly resurrected Dothraki with no Khal and a blood feud with House Stark? Are they riding north? Chilling in Kings Landing?

Oh, they're headed to the tiny island of Naath? Where there's nowhere to graze their horses? And the people ...

Naathi ... are called the Peaceful People, due to their belief in extreme pacifism. They make music rather than war and kill nothing, not even animals, eating only fruit and never flesh. They are widely sought after by slavers who consider them to make the best slaves.

Huge plot holes just to throw in a couple extra lines of dialogue in Dothraki.

How much time would any of you say transpired between Dany’s murder and the counsel meeting? 3 months, 6 months, 1 year? Was it even hinted at?

Why did the dragon melt the throne? Is the dragon really really smart and knew that it was all about the throne? That is when I began rolling my eyes. Right up there with Arya’s Uber Pony in 5.

How did anyone even know that Jon killed Dany? Are we supposed to assume that he fessed up to all of the bloodthirsty soldiers waiting outside?

Reiterating that the end was just too too much for my assumptions about what the show was; it was far to sympathetic. As it went on, I half expected to see Samwell planting vegetables with his lady outside their hobbit hole.

Just love how the writers/show runners said it isn’t a happy ending. Wut? That was as happy as you could get. You lost Dany only and everyone else got to do what they wanted. Jon gets to hang with Ghost and Tormund. Sansa is Queen, Arya gets to do whatever. Tyrion gets bro time at the table. Just lazy and pointless really.

This season fails because it was rushed, and it is painfully obvious in this episode.

Exactly right. HBO should have hired new writers so the show could continue rather than letting the existing writing team rush out an ending quicker than necessary because they wanted off the project.

Arya’s Uber Pony in 5.

Line of the week right there! :hail:

This season started strongly for me but has from episode 4 onwards just been a downwards spiral into very unsatisfying directions.

I was hoping the finale would be a fitting end, and there were bits of I liked, but ultimately it just doesn't feel good enough for a show that has been so incredibly wonderful in the past.

Did everyone notice that the child character that still nursed on his crazy mother at the age of 10 was in the council scene all grown up? At first I was wondering who it was and why he was there and then it came to me because of the company he sat with.

Rewatching it again tonight to see if I might of missed some saving grace. :eek:O:

Did everyone notice that the child character that still nursed on his crazy mother at the age of 10 was in the council scene all grown up? At first I was wondering who it was and why he was there and then it came to me because of the company he sat with.

Rewatching it again tonight to see if I might of missed some saving grace. :eek:O:

Must have drank that Tormund milk.