Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Fight At Disneyland Caught On Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, children were in danger.
Second, it took way way to long for Disney police to show up. Unacceptable.
I'm really not sure what expectation you have. The video seems to start before the fight began as they're just arguing. About a minute in a CM can be seen communicating on a radio, around the 2:30 mark the first security CM can be seen and was likely there before the camera panned over. By around the 3:30 mark there are several security CM's and managers that can be seen. This seems like a pretty reasonable response time to me, it's not like these CM's can just magically materialize when a fight breaks out. Also they're not "Disney Police" they're security CM's they have no power or ability to do very much beyond calling the police, which they did.

Apparently, a full on criminal investigation is in the works despite the women not wanting to press charges. With the way everybody, especially the pink shirt guy reacted, I'm glad they are.
I’ve been kind of shocked at the reaction most people seem to have to this. What I saw in the video is very consistent with all the fights I’ve seen at WDW (and I’ve seen a lot). People seem to think Disney should have done more or been quicker to react, but this is about what their normal response is. Security generally has a hands off policy to these type of things, they just keep the regular guests out of the way while they wait for police to show up they’re not supposed to get physically involved. I’ve known CM’s who’ve gotten reprimanded and even lost their jobs due to trying to help break up a fight.
The unfortunate thing is, if a cast member gets involved, they are a liability to the company. Yeah security was slow as molasses but there's only so much they can do without causing a liability to themselves.

The unfortunate thing is, if a cast member gets involved, they are a liability to the company. Yeah security was slow as molasses but there's only so much they can do without causing a liability to Disney. People suck.
Yeah, exactly you never know how these things are going to escalate. The guy said he was "ready to go to jail" so he already had removed his fear of repercussions. He could've easily pulled out a knife or gun or some other weapon. I don't think security's reaction time was bad, but I do think they should've started immediately moving other guests away from the area. There were plenty of CM's there to really create a solid barrier and protect guests who weren't involved. It's interesting though to watch and see how everyone reacts differently to the situation, some freak out and run around while others basically freeze up. I found it humorous (in a sad way) that the one security CM in lime green, the first thing he does is go to the woman that just got beat up and tell her to calm down.

I dealt with these scenarios quite a few times, for me after the first few I kind of got used to it and knew what to do. I would always get myself as far removed as I could and call police (not security since they can't do anything anyway).

The unfortunate thing is, if a cast member gets involved, they are a liability to the company. Yeah security was slow as molasses but there's only so much they can do without causing a liability to themselves.

Say it's a 5' tall 100 lb woman just wailing on her 2 year old. Should they intervene then, or is it still not their job as a liability to the company? The lady was defenseless and completely helpless in the fetal position getting pummeled. The guy had 2 feet and 150 Lbs on her. It's not so dissimilar of a comparison. Who cares if you get fired. Who cares if you get sued. Doing what is inherently the right thing to do should transcend anything else.

I realize I’m being altruistic here, but it just doesn’t sit right with me.

It's completely irrational for a company like that to not have either on duty, or off duty, police in the park to deal with situations like this or worse. I know this is an isolated incident, but if that guy starts wailing on someone who isn't family, or runs over someone else's kid trying to hit someone the amount of money Disney would have to pay out in lawsuits would be astronomical.

Say it's a 5' tall 100 lb woman just wailing on her 2 year old. Should they intervene then, or is it still not their job as a liability to the company? The lady was defenseless and completely helpless in the fetal position getting pummeled. The guy had 2 feet and 150 Lbs on her. It's not so dissimilar of a comparison. Who cares if you get fired. Who cares if you get sued. Doing what is inherently the right thing to do should transcend anything else.

The sad part is, technically (depending on what handbook states) they most likely should do nothing. Yes, they absolutely should get involved, BUT it is also absolutely the companies right to discipline up to and/or include termination for doing so. The only thing the employee would have going for them is the public spectacle when that information came out, and the company may respond.

It really is a juggling act, as a human you want to intervene and help. But there is also the possibility of your own injury/death by doing so, or losing your job if it is against company policy. Not defending it at all, just stating facts. If a company has rules against it......do as you will, just don't be surprised when the rule is applied is all.

Just like retail assoc. who chase down theifs and then get fired. Company policy says not to. If you do, that's on you. Not comparing or equating the two either, just the outcome can be similar.

Yeah, every individual is going to react differently in every situation. Everyone has a point where their job becomes irrelevant and will resort to doing what they feel is right.
It's completely irrational for a company like that to not have either on duty, or off duty, police in the park to deal with situations like this or worse. I know this is an isolated incident, but if that guy starts wailing on someone who isn't family, or runs over someone else's kid trying to hit someone the amount of money Disney would have to pay out in lawsuits would be astronomical.
I’m pretty sure they do have police on property and WDW definitely does. They likely showed up shortly after this video. Again response times aren’t magical though, it takes a few minutes to get to different areas of the park.

Exactly. Sports teams, concert venues, etc. generally have a mix of off duty police working along with the Security personnel. If there's issues like fights etc. that can endanger the general public, they have enforcement powers. If Disney, and we don't know that at this point in time, doesn't have any of those off duty police present on a shift, then Disney is greatly remiss, and negligent. If your security is only able to do bag checks and petty stuff, and the off duty police aren't stationed right in the parks themselves, then there really is no security in the parks.....And, of course, no one expects regular cast members to break up a fight. That's kind of a given.

Not to mention, if you try to brake up a fight those involved can now sue you for assault. The fact that nobody involved is pressing charges on each other means you could go to jail while the man who beat the women who was on the ground could go home without worry.

While we all want to do what is right, the law sees you making contact with someone else the same way no matter the context.

It's easy to sit back watching the video and cross analyze with the benefit of hindsight. What seems obvious now is cloudy in the moment, especially if the fear is things escalating to worst case scenario. A lot of arguments, like how this started, get hot and then fizzle out. Adding police the situation could escalate the issue beyond a flame, like adding an accelerant to a smolder.

Right now there's nothing much to actually add to this discussion beyond something happened and Disney's made a statement. I fear we're teetering on the edge of some poor discussions, mods are watching this thread.

Right now there's nothing much to actually add to this discussion beyond something happened and Disney's made a statement. I fear we're teetering on the edge of some poor discussions, mods are watching this thread.
I don’t think anyone is teetering on the edge of poor discussion. Not even close, actually. If anything, I think every single poster has been more than reasonable.

That said, you are right- what more can be added?
If you fear that some poor discussion is going to occur, might as well just lock it up now. No sense in burdening yourself or the other mods with that in the back of your mind. Go have a beer and hang out with the family.

I don’t think anyone is teetering on the edge of poor discussion. Not even close, actually. If anything, I think every single poster has been more than reasonable.

That said, you are right- what more can be added?
If you fear that some poor discussion is going to occur, might as well just lock it up now. No sense in burdening yourself or the other mods with that in the back of your mind. Go have a beer and hang out with the family.

I've talked to Brian, we're keeping it open as it's a thing now.

Something I've not seen mentioned here but a few times on Twitter is that people are trying to blame alcohol now being served in DL for this happening.

So I’m hearing what started the fight was that Pink shirt dude was there with his girlfriend and happened to run into his wife and family. Oops...

I'm really not sure what expectation you have. The video seems to start before the fight began as they're just arguing. About a minute in a CM can be seen communicating on a radio, around the 2:30 mark the first security CM can be seen and was likely there before the camera panned over. By around the 3:30 mark there are several security CM's and managers that can be seen. This seems like a pretty reasonable response time to me, it's not like these CM's can just magically materialize when a fight breaks out. Also they're not "Disney Police" they're security CM's they have no power or ability to do very much beyond calling the police, which they did.
You’re not wrong, but fact of the matter is that Disneyland Security is being dragged all over social media right now. It’s just a really bad look.

Something I've not seen mentioned here but a few times on Twitter is that people are trying to blame alcohol now being served in DL for this happening.

Of course they are. Despite the fact that fights like these happened before Galaxy's Edge in the park, it's nothing new. And I'm willing to bet they were sober. The chances of this family actually had been in Oga's Cantina knowing the sheer tiny capacity is small, not to mention the two drink MAXIMUM. But hey, what's with logic?

You’re not wrong, but fact of the matter is that Disneyland Security is being dragged all over social media right now. It’s just a really bad look.

I'm not an expert on Disney security, but I would think at least one officer would've been within a minute's walking distance? And if the first CM really was the first to radio, that's a failure on their part. Security should've been radio'd the second the first punch was made. But of course, as Joe said, it's easy to sit back and watch in hindsight.

Regardless, it is not a good look. Not sure what they can do to rectify anything, may just have to ride the wave.

Yeah, I've definitely seen it. I think that's why this is an interesting discussion and probably a good learning experience for a lot of people who seem to have almost mythical expectations of Disney. I suppose these are the same people who think Disney parks are covered with cameras, staffed with undercover security and police throughout and bag checks are more than security theater. Everyone likes to feel safe and likes to believe if something happens at Disney that people are going to instantly swoop in and protect them. The truth is wether it be a security issue like this, a medical issue or some other emergency it does take a few minutes before help will arrive. When something bad happens you're very likely going to be on your own for the first few minutes. Many times I've waited for security, paramedics or police and many of those times the response wasn't nearly as good as what DL had in this situation. I do believe they were a little unprepared and didn't handle the situation as best they could.

Status
Not open for further replies.