Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

General Discussion - Hagrid's Magical Creature Motorbike Adventure

I think it's going to come down to they really needed to have designed it so they could stack more trains at the start and end of the ride.

I couldn't see how this could happen. They control the LIM's and know exactly how fast the launch would be. That's like getting on Flight of Fear at KI and suddenly the launch blasts you up to 70 mph instead of 54 mph. The only way that it is more intense than expected is if it's a new system (ex. When the new hydraulic system debuted for Xcelerator). Even then, they pretty much know the effect before spending millions of dollars in building.

I couldn't see how this could happen. They control the LIM's and know exactly how fast the launch would be. That's like getting on Flight of Fear at KI and suddenly the launch blasts you up to 70 mph instead of 54 mph. The only way that it is more intense than expected is if it's a new system (ex. When the new hydraulic system debuted for Xcelerator). Even then, they pretty much know the effect before spending millions of dollars in building.
Well I posted an article about the really bad reputation Intamin has. There have been roller coasters built by them that had to be either partially rebuilt or heavily modified because the forces were far greater than anticipated. There was one instance in which they had to remove a portion of the roller coaster because in testing the water dummies were being ejected from the train. Cedar Fair no longer orders from them for the very same reason that they got three troublesome coasters back to back. I305 had to reprofile a turn because G forces were greater than planned and Maverick had to completely remove one inversion. Both Intamin creations

We had opening date guesses a while ago. Anyone want to take a guess when we'll have 2 consecutive days of Hagrid's opening at park open w/o delay for a reasonable time (say 2 hrs).
So being open w/o a delay for 2 hrs at park open for just 2 consecutive days. I realize that's a low bar to hit, but considering they haven't hit it yet (or even been close to hitting it); it might be fun to make a prediction.

I originally thought the end of July. But I might actually lean towards mid-August now. After yesterday, I don't see this thing running consistently in less than a month's time. They're still in 100% test and adjust mode, it appears.

Well I posted an article about the really bad reputation Intamin has. There have been roller coasters built by them that had to be either partially rebuilt or heavily modified because the forces were far greater than anticipated. There was one instance in which they had to remove a portion of the roller coaster because in testing the water dummies were being ejected from the train. Cedar Fair no longer orders from them for the very same reason that they got three troublesome coasters back to back. I305 had to reprofile a turn because G forces were greater than planned and Maverick had to completely remove one inversion. Both Intamin creations

Without going into engineering and more, it's way more complicated than "it went faster than anticipated and thus things". WAY more complicated. It's why I do not want to describe things because once it's clear what the issues are it could be traced back to my sources. There are issues, it's nothing as bad as those, and the issues are being worked on.

Without going into engineering and more, it's way more complicated than "it went faster than anticipated and thus things". WAY more complicated. It's why I do not want to describe things because once it's clear what the issues are it could be traced back to my sources. There are issues, it's nothing as bad as those, and the issues are being worked on.
Yeah there is just no way the ride is accelerating or reaching higher speeds than intended or designed for. This idea was most likely born out of a completely harmless statement made by Gary Blumenstein (the creative director for the ride) during the press event in May. His exact words were, "When I first got to ride it, I was surprised by the amount of speed it had," which obviously should not be taken literally. He, along with all of Universal Creative and Intamin clearly knew exactly how fast it was before stepping foot on the ride but computer simulations and numbers on paper are very different than the real thing and even he marveled at how peppy it FELT when he got to experience it. It's a credit to how totally awesome and fun the ride is and not an indication that the speed is outside of the designed parameters.

I have no idea what is happening at Hagrid, but someone said that the ride being more intense than designed was impossible and I pointed to the fact that it has happened with Intamin coasters before. I guess we will find out eventually

Yeah there is just no way the ride is accelerating or reaching higher speeds than intended or designed for. This idea was most likely born out of a completely harmless statement made by Gary Blumenstein (the creative director for the ride) during the press event in May. His exact words were, "When I first got to ride it, I was surprised by the amount of speed it had," which obviously should not be taken literally. He, along with all of Universal Creative and Intamin clearly knew exactly how fast it was before stepping foot on the ride but computer simulations and numbers on paper are very different than the real thing and even he marveled at how peppy it FELT when he got to experience it. It's a credit to how totally awesome and fun the ride is and not an indication that the speed is outside of the designed parameters.
Riding it on a computer screen must not have done it for him...Even after Mark Woodbury bought all of those extra box fans

Last edited:
Have you rode it yet? Because it doesn't sound like you've rode it.

You should specify that the videos you watched were underwhelming, not the ride itself.

Ok calm down. From the POVs, yes it looks really underwhelming. No need to get your knickers in a bunch.

The POV's were a bit underwhelming, but it is nothing at all like the ride. If anything it's OVERwhelming. Fantastic ride and best since forbidden in my opinion.

Will definitely have to be there for myself then, I'm curious to see how the Wizarding World in FL is different from LA, because there isn't too much going on for the LA one.

I'm curious. since the reprogramming that seems to have improved the reliability of the ride. Has anyone rode both before and after the reprogramming. Wondering if the ride experience was altered in any noticable way.

I'm curious. since the reprogramming that seems to have improved the reliability of the ride. Has anyone rode both before and after the reprogramming. Wondering if the ride experience was altered in any noticable way.
Theoretically the computer will have less meltdowns which probably wont translate to a change in ride experience

I've not ridden enough to notice a difference but the 2nd launch seemed a bit more intense than before (not faster, just getting to the top speed seemed quicker)

Just a theoretical here, but depending on how legit the LIM overheating problem was, they could have reprogrammed them so they alternate banks on firing. If theres a line of 12 motors, maybe on train 1, just the odd numbers fire. On the next, just the evens fire. It could explain the reaching top speed quicker effect if the first 6 fired that time instead of the last 6. Of course that assumes that it doesn't need the whole bank to fire for the train to achieve the speed it needs.