Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disneyland)

Some stray thoughts:

Perhaps they decided it isn't worth getting Disneyland's up and running as fast due to AP block outs, lower attendance, and lower hotel bookings? Prioritizing the tourist heavy resort first, then hopefully that month head start means a smooth opening for Disneyland's version, so they won't **** off as many locals and AP's, as they'll have descended on the park by that time?
I can't see a scenario where Disney that's the reason. People with AP's (DL's lifeblood) may decide to wait until January to renew. Thats 6 months of AP revenue down the drain

I really don't think that the elevator is the issue. They perfected a clunkier autonomous vehicle that locks in position for a way rougher ride in Florida at their Tower of Terror. It would suck if that's the reason, since they have the technology right there across the street.
On another note, there are reports that entertainment will be cut back and many changes are coming to DL. This whole GE debacle is really interesting. Absolutely no one expected this to happen, but I am sure this will be humbling to Disney. Let's see that means good things for us APs

I really don't think that the elevator is the issue. They perfected a clunkier autonomous vehicle that locks in position for a way rougher ride in Florida at their Tower of Terror. It would suck if that's the reason, since they have the technology right there across the street.
On another note, there are reports that entertainment will be cut back and many changes are coming to DL. This whole GE debacle is really interesting. Absolutely no one expected this to happen, but I am sure this will be humbling to Disney. Let's see that means good things for us APs
This is a fairly free roaming ride system however whereas ToT follows a guided wire, much like GMR and UoE did. ToT isn't using modern trackless technology (which causes issues as it requires wayyyyyyy more programming for the ride to run).

This is a fairly free roaming ride system however whereas ToT follows a guided wire, much like GMR and UoE did. ToT isn't using modern trackless technology (which causes issues as it requires wayyyyyyy more programming for the ride to run).
It seems like a technology that creates more problems than it solves. For Ratatouille, Mystic Manor and the one at Sea World it just seems like an ok ride system upgrade that the vehicles have no track. It doesn't seem like the ride vehicle game changer that Forbidden Journey was. Time will tell how good a gamble it was.

It seems like a technology that creates more problems than it solves. For Ratatouille, Mystic Manor and the one at Sea World it just seems like an ok ride system upgrade that the vehicles have no track. It doesn't seem like the ride vehicle game changer that Forbidden Journey was. Time will tell how good a gamble it was.
The major reason for utilizing this type of ride system is so that a RV can pass over the same area multiple times or if the ride takes sharp turns, etc. Things that a ride wouldn't be able to do if there was physical track in place. Kong is a prime example of a ride that clearly did NOT need the technology. Everything on that ride could've been performed the same way with track, which I believe is proved with F&F.

For a ride that has only 2 cars at a a time, it definitely seems it is not worth the hassle. Seems it probably could have been done with wires with insignificant change to rider experience.

I'm hoping their reasoning is for much more dynamic motion and 'obstacle avoidance' hehe. The idea of racing through a star destroyer with another vehicle not following the other could make for cool pacing and passing of each other to really aid the illusion and pace of the ride

It will be interesting to see if the two "pretty expensive experiences", light sabers and robots, still sell well after a year or so. A lot of the land's allure is predicated on those two kind of 'elite' experiences. My personal opinion is that sales will drop significantly once the initial rush of crazed fans buy them at those prices.

It will be interesting to see if the two "pretty expensive experiences", light sabers and robots, still sell well after a year or so. A lot of the land's allure is predicated on those two kind of 'elite' experiences. My personal opinion is that sales will drop significantly once the initial rush of crazed fans buy them at those prices.

Of course they will. Pandora Banshees showed up for $30 at Character Warehouse earlier this year.

Currently at the Cantina as a first timer at the land, man this place is awesome !!!

LOVED Smugglers Run. I got here during the rope thing so it was literally a no line as I just kept walking. I was the engineer but damn it was fun as hell!

Drinking a Fuzzy tauntaun now. Wish there was like a Galaxys edge logo t shirt but I havent seen any yet. I made this a last minute decision and i fly out of LAX at 730 pm but if I miss my flight I dont care this place rules hahah!

The major reason for utilizing this type of ride system is so that a RV can pass over the same area multiple times or if the ride takes sharp turns, etc. Things that a ride wouldn't be able to do if there was physical track in place. Kong is a prime example of a ride that clearly did NOT need the technology. Everything on that ride could've been performed the same way with track, which I believe is proved with F&F.
F&F is trackless (used the same as Kong). I think Kong was more for visual, as they did not want a track running down the middle of the road outside. Now it looks like someone is driving the truck

F&F is trackless (used the same as Kong). I think Kong was more for visual, as they did not want a track running down the middle of the road outside. Now it looks like someone is driving the truck

Yeah, I thought F&F was essentially a clone of Kong, mechanically.

Trackless is now as cheap or cheaper than tracked rides. That's why even if the ride vehicles don't dance like Pooh at TDL everyone is doing it now.
This makes a ton of sense tbh, it's really guided by glorified RFID pucks which I'm sure aren't terribly expensive.

For a ride that has only 2 cars at a a time, it definitely seems it is not worth the hassle. Seems it probably could have been done with wires with insignificant change to rider experience.
Yeah. It seems like it. we will know in January lol
Someone brought that to my attention last week. Once you've done that, I am pretty sure many people won't want to do it again. It's $215 a pop. It's too expensive to be doing it over and over again. I mean, there must be someone that can spare $200 dlls every time they go there, but I am pretty sure it's not a lot of people. Same with droids.

Currently at the Cantina as a first timer at the land, man this place is awesome !!!

LOVED Smugglers Run. I got here during the rope thing so it was literally a no line as I just kept walking. I was the engineer but damn it was fun as hell!

Drinking a Fuzzy tauntaun now. Wish there was like a Galaxys edge logo t shirt but I havent seen any yet. I made this a last minute decision and i fly out of LAX at 730 pm but if I miss my flight I dont care this place rules hahah!
I don’t know if they still do, but I believe Launch Bay has logo shirts.