Universal Orlando August 1 Press Conference | Page 37 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando August 1 Press Conference

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t believe the forecast is for Florida to be completely underwater in the next century. Central Florida is 60’ to 120’ above sea level. It is only the now coastal areas which are in extreme danger in the next couple of decades.

Here's my uneducated understanding of rising sea-levels:

Most of the forecasts predicting the entirety of Florida underwater assume that all the ice in the world melts, which is not the current prediction. For now, much of Antarctica, which contains much of the ice in the world, is safe. However, the real concern is Greenland and the Arctic, which is rapidly melting and losing shape, and how the loss of the ice caps might accelerate warming (ice caps reflect sunlight and actually do a lot to keep the Earth cool; the loss of Greenland could accelerate Global Warming). That's what we call the "Cascade Effect," which is when global warming reaches a point where the effects of warming generates its own warming. Other examples of this include the melting permafrost in Russia, which releases large amounts of Greenhouse Gases that traps even more heat and creates even more warming.

That's where all those "we need to do something by 2030" articles come in: they're not saying that we're all gonna drown in 2030, they're saying that if we act later than 2030, then climate change will be literally outside of our control by then. The melting of the entire Antarctic sheet is still decades in the future. That doesn't mean we shouldn't be worried as all hell right now - this is our kid's world, after all - but I'd worry about Atlantic City and Miami before I'd worry about Orlando.

Here's a nice primer on what's happening in Greenland:

In Greenland’s Melting Ice, A Warning on Hard Climate Choices - Yale E360

Here's my uneducated understanding of rising sea-levels:

Most of the forecasts predicting the entirety of Florida underwater assume that all the ice in the world melts, which is not the current prediction. For now, much of Antarctica, which contains much of the ice in the world, is safe. However, the real concern is Greenland and the Arctic, which is rapidly melting and losing shape, and how the loss of the ice caps might accelerate warming (ice caps reflect sunlight and actually do a lot to keep the Earth cool; the loss of Greenland could accelerate Global Warming). That's what we call the "Cascade Effect," which is when global warming reaches a point where the effects of warming generates its own warming. Other examples of this include the melting permafrost in Russia, which releases large amounts of Greenhouse Gases that traps even more heat and creates even more warming.

That's where all those "we need to do something by 2030" articles come in: they're not saying that we're all gonna drown in 2030, they're saying that if we act later than 2030, then climate change will be literally outside of our control by then. The melting of the entire Antarctic sheet is still decades in the future. That doesn't mean we shouldn't be worried as all hell right now - this is our kid's world, after all - but I'd worry about Atlantic City and Anaheim before I'd worry about Orlando.

Guys, we said this topic needed to move on from this....Posts from here on out will be deleted.

Actually, I believe @Legacy brought up a weird rumor that Universal has the rights. Will it be in this park? Probably not, but it's something to note.

Potter came a long time after the movies stopped being made. I could see LOTR being a mid-20's expansion plan. I mean, it's the best selling novel of all time, some guy in a suit has to have pitched it at some point.

I wonder how many design vendors are contributing to the preliminaries of this park. Many tend to assume that Universal Creative has a box of people that will design or envision everything which, as romantic as that is, is not the case. So, who are the lucky vendors this go round?

Ok wow this whole thread got way too off topic. To get back on the actual topic of thread since it’ll probably won’t be around for much longer and we shouldn’t waste what we got, I was wondering how much of Fantastic/Epic Worlds do we think will be showcased? I made a list here for what I think is possible.
Definitely coming
• Title reveal
• Overall theme reveal
Extremely likely
Hotel reveal
• SNW
• Some sort of concept art
Possible
2023 - 2025 opening time frame
• Other worlds revealed (HTTTYD, FB, Trolls, Monsters, etc.)
• Vague attraction details
Not very likely
Park model
• In-Depth attraction details
• Loads of concept art

Ok wow this whole thread got way too off topic. To get back on the actual topic of thread since it’ll probably won’t be around for much longer and we shouldn’t waste what we got, I was wondering how much of Fantastic/Epic Worlds do we think will be showcased? I made a list here for what I think is possible.
Definitely coming
• Title reveal
• Overall theme reveal
Extremely likely
Hotel reveal
• SNW
• Some sort of concept art
Possible
2023 - 2025 opening time frame
• Other worlds revealed (HTTTYD, FB, Trolls, Monsters, etc.)
• Vague attraction details
Not very likely
Park model
• In-Depth attraction details
• Loads of concept art

Pretty much! I'd add a surprise IP to the possible section though, just because of the nature of the event.

Reactions: truejonas
While we twiddle our thumbs and freak out from the waiting driving us crazy, let's take a moment to enjoy this news piece from 1997 discussing what Universal ORIGINALLY was planning to do with the land, all the way back then:

Orlando News Videos | WFTV

I love this still frame:
View attachment 10334

You're famous! ;)

I don't think I've seen this IOA logo before.

ioa logo.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.