Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to disagree with you here, but I'm not going to get into it.

Why? Take the PC cap off and look at reality. New Fantasyland dropped cinderella's cottage and put in 7D simply because it was too girl-centric and they wanted to attract more young boys as well.

While that might not be allowed to say on Twitter, it certainly is what happens in the real world. And if you don't think NBC/Comcast isn't looking at marketing to specific demographics, then you're willfully blind or simply virtue signaling.
There's a reason there aren't Kotex commercials on during a monster truck show or football game.

To get back on a more friendly topic, how likely is it that the dueling coaster gets cut early in development? As much as I want it to be there, it would probably be the first thing to get cut if Universal went over-budget somehow.

They will cut out a section of a land before they will cut an inexpensive coaster. Having an exposed coaster is a bit of a hallmark for Universal.

Correct. I agree it isn't a "response" to MK as @Mad Dog said. But I think he's part right in that this will be their "version". And by version, I mean; they looked at the demographic they are wanting to hit and are building attractions to appeal to that demographic more.

It seems to me that they are wanting boys of every age to come to their parks. They want them whining about going to Disney instead of Universal.

I'd be interested to know which gender/parent plans the family trips to amusement parks. My initial thought is females/moms, but I'd like to see some data to back that up. If it is, then it will be a harder appeal with the "boy-centric" themes of video games, monsters and dragons. The appeal is going to have to come from the kids themselves, one would think.

Disclaimer: I'm speaking in generalizations and not trying to get into some PC flame war, so spare me any political nonsense. Yes, yours or my daughter might like video games. Your son might like princesses. That's not the point. But I'm not going to pretend that Comcast isn't tracking demographics and targeting certain groups; because they certainly are.
I kinda agree with this and kinda don't.

I do agree that yes, Comcast is wanting to access more demographics while at the same time not directly responding to MK.

The one thing that doesn't sit with me is Comcast trying to go for gender generalizations/stereotypes. I know you already made a disclaimer on this as I will try to describe this on pure observations in society as a whole and try my best to stay politically neutral. Basically, modern society has changed so that they're trying veer away from "girl things" and "boy things" and trying to keep things open for everyone as now a days, people are starting to find "girl and boy things" offensive. Again, not trying to share my own views, just observations, but my point is gender doesn't really matter as much anymore compared to 30 years ago or something like that.

To get back on a more friendly topic, how likely is it that the dueling coaster gets cut early in development? As much as I want it to be there, it would probably be the first thing to get cut if Universal went over-budget somehow.

I'm on Teebin's side, I doubt the coaster is going to get cut for the same reasons that they mentioned.

I've heard that UCM is the weak link, but my gut feeling is that you're more likely to see something in FB get chopped, especially if the next film massively under-performs in 2021.

Why? Take the PC cap off and look at reality. New Fantasyland dropped cinderella's cottage and put in 7D simply because it was too girl-centric and they wanted to attract more young boys as well.

While that might not be allowed to say on Twitter, it certainly is what happens in the real world. And if you don't think NBC/Comcast isn't looking at marketing to specific demographics, then you're willfully blind. There's a reason there aren't Kotex commercials on during a monster truck show or football game.

Look at what I put in bold. The video games not being unisex thing. And again, I don't want to get into these topics after what went down in the International Politics thread I made.

They will cut out a section of a land before they will cut an inexpensive coaster. Having an exposed coaster is a bit of a hallmark for Universal.

Ehh, there's two other coasters in the park if you cut the dueling coaster. So it's probably not a big priority to keep it should something go wrong during development.

I'm on Teebin's side, I doubt the coaster is going to get cut for the same reasons that they mentioned.

I've heard that UCM is the weak link, but my gut feeling is that you're more likely to see something in FB get chopped, especially if the next film massively under-performs in 2021.

Nothing Potter-related will get cut, considering that JK Rowling would probably throw a tantrum if it did. And I think the coaster will get cut over an entire land any day.

Tbh I think one of the smaller flat rides in HTTYD will get the chop first because they're probably just flat rides you can see anywhere else and if they only got rid of 1 0r 2, it wouldn't really matter much.

I also would be surprised if the coaster got cut. Even with it being as huge as it is, I would expect its cost to be under 100 million, which is pretty reasonable for a Universal E-ticket. It also looks to figure as a large part of the parks appeal and possible marketing towards thrill oriented guests.

Also, I was looking at the dueling coaster this morning and it appears that each side will have 2 launches and a length over 5000 ft.

Good point.

I could see them cutting or delaying that ride, but I can't imagine them cutting or delaying one of the four themed worlds.

Look at what I put in bold. The video games not being unisex thing.

Men make up 75% of the video game purchases.

There are plenty of statistics that are available. Why are those statistics availble? Because companies spend millions to know exactly who is buying what and to know what group buys what. Gender, age, race, income level, education level: all of it.
To pretend Universal, a multi-billion dollar media conglomerate that only answers to it's shareholders and the almighty dollar, isn't targeting a specific demographic is ignoring reality. And to argue that video games aren't a male-focused property is also factually incorrect.

The chances of them cutting something Potter related are loooooow.

I think it'll depend on the box office for FB3, but that's just my opinion. We already saw a 20% decline in box office revenue between FB1-2, and that's with the mostly positive word of mouth from FB1 carrying it. I could absolutely see FB3 being the first true "flop" in the HP series. I'd be surprised if one of the two E-tickets in the FB section isn't listed as an optional line item on a spreadsheet somewhere pending the next movie's reception.

There are plenty of statistics that are available. Why are those statistics availble? Because companies spend millions to know exactly who is buying what and to know what group buys what. Gender, age, race, income level, education level: all of it.
To pretend Universal, a multi-billion dollar media conglomerate that only answers to it's shareholders and the almighty dollar, isn't targeting a specific demographic is ignoring reality. And to argue that video games aren't a male-focused property is also factually incorrect.
Ok can we just stop this topic before it gets too political and out of control? I don't think anyone wants the mods looking us down.

I think girls, women, and parents are a lot more open to the ideas of girls enjoying things that are traditionally viewed as being catered towards boys than the other way around.

Also though I hear what Andy is saying regarding video game stats...

Nintendo/Super Mario/Pokemon is probably one of the most gender balanced video game franchises in terms of players/fans. I'm sure it still leans towards males, but it's not like they are opening a Call of Duty or a Bio-Shock land.

Sorry for my poor English, my language is Spanish….

I would like something more from Potter than an FB land. The Harry Potter universe has many more scenarios to exploit. Considering that the new park will be far from the others, it could recreate scenarios such as the Godric Valley (which is in the west of England), the Malfoy mansion (which is located in Wiltshire, in the southeast of England) and also Azkaban (which is on an island in the North Sea).
Any of them could be a perfect setting for a dark ride.

I also imagine joining Diagon Alley with an HP land that can be in Epic, transporting visitors on buses such as the “Knight Bus” via Kirkman.

I always dreamed that there was a land of horror in a theme park, I hope that is seen in the land of Classic Monsters. I will look forward to being there.
I also expected some land set with a medieval fantasy look (like "The Lord of the Rings" or "Warcraft")

Ok can we just stop this topic before it gets too political and out of control? I don't think anyone wants the mods looking us down.

I honestly don't understand the argument.
I'm not arguing something that is newly political like "Do men and women have different interests".

I'm saying that companies target certain demographics. In what world is that controversial or political? These are media conglomerates whose entire success is based on targeting demographics for heaven's sake. Only in 2019...

I think it'll depend on the box office for FB3, but that's just my opinion. We already saw a 20% decline in box office revenue between FB1-2, and that's with the mostly positive word of mouth from FB1 carrying it. I could absolutely see FB3 being the first true "flop" in the HP series. I'd be surprised if one of the two E-tickets in the FB section isn't listed as an optional line item on a spreadsheet somewhere pending the next movie's reception.

Better chance of them just changing the story to something main-line Potter related than cutting anything.

There are plenty of statistics that are available. Why are those statistics availble? Because companies spend millions to know exactly who is buying what and to know what group buys what. Gender, age, race, income level, education level: all of it. To pretend Universal isn't targeting a specific demographic is ignoring reality. And to argue that video games aren't a male-focused property is also factually incorrect.
Does that include mobile?

I agree with most of your points, companies are definitely looking at this. But one thing I do need to point out is that men/boy-stuff is usually seen as more of a neutral ground, whereas girl stuff is seen by society as specifcally for girls. Like, a blue product is neutral, but a pink product is for girls. Not saying this is right or wrong, it's just how things are.

My point is that Disney does run the risk of alienating boys, but Universal has an easier time appealing to a more neutral crowd. HTTYD appeals to more girls than princesses appeal to boys.

Edit
A few IPs Universal might be looking at, and may have a concern of alienating boys: Barbie, My Little Pony (putting aside Bronies), and Hello Kitty.

Last edited:
To push this discussion in a different direction, here's how I rank the lands in order of my excitement for them:

1. Classic Monsters - As a GIGANTIC fan of the Monsters, if Universal nails this land, the rest of the park could be subpar and I’d still come away satisfied. Whether we get one ride, a walk-through, and the show, or two rides, a walk-through, and the show, this has a chance to be an incredibly well-balanced land.

2. Nintendo - Being the land we know the most about already, all of the three major attractions sound great. I have every confidence this area will be exceptional.

3. Wizarding World: Whatever It Is - The massive showbuilding gives the impression there are some pretty big experiences in store inside there. Give me lots of the Fantastic Beasts in animatronic form, and offer rides that don’t borrow heavily from Forbidden Journey/Gringotts/Spider-Man, and this has all the potential in the world to be a terrific land.

4. Berk - The Hagrid-esque family coaster sounds promising, but until I hear more about what the other significant attractions in this land are going to be, I’m holding off getting too enthused. Like with the FB area, I hope for lots of creature animatronics throughout the land and its attractions.

5. The Hub - I place this last only because it feels like the biggest unknown quantity. Are there going to be any other significant rides here (i.e. not just flat rides) besides the mega-coaster (which I assume will be too extreme/unthemed for me, and therefore don’t expect to ever ride)? I think if Universal could manage to put even one C+/D-ticket dark ride here somewhere (or a dark family coaster along the lines of Space Fantasy), this area could vault up my list.

For Creature of the Black Lagoon... Hear me out...

Would a 360 screenz ride with a driverless boat work for this? Think Kong but on a boat. Throw in some fx like wind, fog, waves, splashing, and some scenes with animatronics (creature popping out of water).

I think anything other than “scary Jungle Cruise starring the Creature” would be kind of disappointing to me, but I share the desire for a Creature boat ride in some form!

Sounds like we’ll probably be waiting for an expansion for that, though.

Because the way the street splits, what if one street is Parisian and leads to Paris Ministry and the other London or NY leads to a different indoor Ministry? Could be a cool way to experience more than one at a grand scale.

There are certainly ways to incorporate BOTH Ministries into a single ride if they wanted to do that. Start in Paris, Floo/Apparate to London, etc.

I do hope we get to see London's Ministry, as I think it's just a cooler and more iconic design.

With this park probably being Universal's answer to MK, sounds like HTTYD land will be Universal's answer to Fantasyland.

It would need a laid-back dark ride or two to really be comparable.

Everyone is speculating about rides and I'm over here hoping they will give us a Slaughtred Lamb bar or pub in the Monsters Land :grin:

While there would be time period incongruities, I could live with that in order to get a Slaughtered Lamb. Complete with dartboard and occasional wolf howls off in the distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.