Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t mean to sound like a broken record but I really miss the classic retro attractions yes I personally think they should bring them back but Universal has been their done that. It would just be amazing to see a jaws attraction with updated technology. Looking at the water features in the park does give you hope for a universal themed water ride to fit in one of the lagoons on the concept art. The theater in the back could be all new waterworld show next to classic monsters. We really don’t know what’s what until universal comes out with a official statement. It would be cool if that spaced themed building to the right of the concept art was Star Trek. And classic monsters castle was Mordor or Rivendale of Lord of the Rings.

I want Paris as the location, so it's a new cityscape we haven't seen from Universal Orlando.

And one of the rides should literally take us through every single Ministry/Congress from the new film series, all on one ride. Floo us from country to country, and have us on a different mission/objective in each one, each with their own challenges and bad guys, (and beasts). A "best of" ride like Forbidden Journey, but for Fantastic Beasts, which takes place not all in one county, but five countries. So, we go to five ministries. One ride.

My hope.

Just connecting some possible dots.
- Beauxbaton is the French version of Harry Potter.
- There were rumors that the Beauxbaton dancers were leaving Hogsmeade.
- This land will be in France with the dancers brought back as location specific entertainment.

Just connecting some possible dots.
- Beauxbaton is the French version of Harry Potter.
- There were rumors that the Beauxbaton dancers were leaving Hogsmeade.
- This land will be in France with the dancers brought back as location specific entertainment.

The dancers weren’t removed. The gymnast in Hollywood’s show was removed

Anime/Manga, maybe a Dragon Ball land, but it feels like the time has past for that. Anime has significant niche appeal, but even the huge Dragon Ball Super movie that came out this year only made $30m Domestic, and that was considered fantastic. Anime, Manga, and Japan in general just doesn't dominate the culture like they did during the 80s. Maybe though.

I think this is a little unfair. $30m is good for an anime movie when you consider the fact that they play on a really limited run. Most anime movies where I live only play once or twice and then it is done. Usually they have one night for the sub and another for the dub. From what I remember there was enough support for the Broly movie that they added dates to its limited run.

Just wanted to add that most of the limited dates end up being Tuesdays and Thursdays which aren't usually very busy nights for movie theaters.

Last edited:
I think this is a little unfair. $30m is good for an anime movie when you consider the fact that they play on a really limited run. Most anime movies where I live only play once or twice and then it is done. Usually they have one night for the sub and another for the dub. From what I remember there was enough support for the Broly movie that they added dates to its limited run.

I mean, be that as it may, it doesn't change the fact that it's still only made $30m domestic. Good for anime might not be good enough for a $500m Theme Park land, you know? Meet and Greet characters, possibly, a ride even, but an entire land feels out of reach.

I mean, be that as it may, it doesn't change the fact that it's still only made $30m domestic. Good for anime might not be good enough for a $500m Theme Park land, you know? Meet and Greet characters, possibly, a ride even, but an entire land feels out of reach.

How many non blockbuster movies are going to make $30m playing one night on a Tuesday or Thursday? I won't argue that it probably doesn't deserve an entire land dedicated to it. I do think that a Hollywood movie that actually tries to be a Dragonball movie could though. But the odds of Hollywood making an actual good Dragonball movie are next to nil.

How many non blockbuster movies are going to make $30m playing one night on a Tuesday or Thursday?

True, but how many non-blockbuster movies get theme park lands made out of them?

EDIT: I won't discount Anime's potential in the future, but Hollywood's been pretty sour on the prospects of Anime adaptations after a string of high-profile flops like Ghost in the Shell and Alita. Taika Waititi just dropped the Akira adaptation, for example. Something might come in the future - an Attack on Titan ride for Classic Monsters land? - but for now, I dunno, it feels like a decades in the future thing.

Last edited:
True, but how many non-blockbuster movies get theme park lands made out of them?

I'm not arguing that it deserves a theme park land. Hollywood screwed that up the minute they made Dragonball Evolution. Any chance Dragonball Z had of becoming a Hollywood franchise died with that movie.

I'm from Barcelona (Spain) . Uni managed PortAventura (Our Spanish theme park) for a few years back in the 2000 (They even added 2 rides designed by Uni Creative, pretty good btw) and if they have finally built Universal Mediterranea (As was announced) a Dragon Ball land would have been an absolute hit. Even now it would be. Dragon Ball is ultraloved for decades in several countries in Europe. Maybe it is not the same in USA for Goku.
It is absolutely whishful thinking but I'd really really love if Uni built Athena's Sanctury in UEU, based of course on Saint Seiya anime. I think that Greek architecture and the 12 houses of Zodiac would fit nicely with the "Constellation" theming of the giant hub. Of course after the awful 3D animated series by Netflix I imagine SS is totally off nowadays.
latest

Saint_Seiya_Online.jpg

26a231a5ed55bf53177034dfc141ef71.jpg

More wishful thinking: DC Universe. It's a pity that deal with Six Flags. Uni could make great things with DC Comics. Instead of coasters with DC heroes logos we could have a land divided in places such as Gotham City, Metropolis, Themyscira, Atlantys and/or Apokolips with state-of-art rides. (After all WW and Aquaman has been 2 quite succesful movies)
Alex-Ross-Wonder-Woman-Paradise-Island.jpg

75122_big.jpg

EDIT: I won't discount Anime's potential in the future, but Hollywood's been pretty sour on the prospects of Anime adaptations after a string of high-profile flops like Ghost in the Shell and Alita. Taika Waititi just dropped the Akira adaptation, for example. Something might come in the future - an Attack on Titan ride for Classic Monsters land? - but for now, I dunno, it feels like a decades in the future thing.
I guess it could happen in a second gate for USJapan. They have there several seasonal rides based on mangas/animes every year.
With regard to your question: Tower of Terror, Splash Mountain, WaterWorld, Tron...

I guess it could happen in a second gate for USJapan. They have there several seasonal rides based on mangas/animes every year.
With regard to your question: Tower of Terror, Splash Mountain, WaterWorld, Tron...

It makes sense in Japan.

WaterWorld, Splash Mountain and Tron I'll grant you, though it's important to note that those are all first party IPs and Universal doesn't appear to own any anime/manga IPs that I know of.

Tower of Terror is tricky, cuz it's based on one of the largest TV shows ever, but Dragon Ball is also huge in America. Still, while it's hugely recognizeable, I still wouldn't put it in the likely column just yet. Feels like there's less urgency to bring it to America right now, versus the mid-2000's. Maybe if a revival goes big.

Last edited:
It makes sense in Japan.

WaterWorld, Splash Mountain and Tron I'll grant you, though it's important to note that those are all first party IPs and Universal doesn't appear to own any anime/manga IPs that I know of.

Tower of Terror is tricky, cuz it's based on one of the largest TV shows ever, but Dragon Ball is also huge in America. Still, while it's hugely recognizeable, I still wouldn't put it in the likely column just yet. Feels like there's less urgency to bring it to America right now, versus the mid-2000's. Maybe if a revival goes big.

They do own manga/anime IPs....and they have the license for the actual anime/merch rights to Dragonball but Geneon sold the rights to another studio for a large influx of cash back when it was going through its somewhat unpopular phase.

NBCUniversal Entertainment Japan - Anime Producer - MyAnimeList.net
Geneon Universal Entertainment - Anime Producer - MyAnimeList.net
Geneon Entertainment USA - Anime Producer - MyAnimeList.net

*not the full listing and all NUEJ titles

They do own manga/anime IPs....and they have the license for the actual anime/merch rights to Dragonball but Geneon sold the rights to another studio for a large influx of cash back when it was going through its somewhat unpopular phase.

NBCUniversal Entertainment Japan - Anime Producer - MyAnimeList.net
Geneon Universal Entertainment - Anime Producer - MyAnimeList.net
Geneon Entertainment USA - Anime Producer - MyAnimeList.net

*not the full listing and all NUEJ titles

Huh, TIL Berserk is Uni. That's neat.

Looking through that list for the ones with the most members, I've not heard of many of those shows, but then Dragon Ball Z apparently only has 550,000 members on that site, so I have no way of gauging how popular any of those are over here in the states. The series that I've heard of (Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, Attack on Titan, Cowboy Bebop, Tokyo Ghoul etc.) don't appear to be part of that list, though again, this area's out of my expertise.

So very late to the party but the whole Fantastic Beasts not good enough argument is absolutely ridiculous. The movies may not be ingrained yet into culture but it’s a franchise that is building. Sure it may have let some down to this point but I feel thinking there is no way but down for it to be a little negative.

As I’ve said before Universal has 2 in house franchises that seemed dead in the water Jurassic and F&F after some lackluster performances and receptions with the sequels yet look at what they have blossomed into, sure fire billion dollar franchises.

Add to this a little fun fact that the most well received of the Potter movies was Prisoner of Azkaban which was also the lowest grossing.

WB has already pushed back the release of the 3rd Fantastic Beasts as they have heard the audience and are working with Rowling to be sure they deliver what the fans want and deserve. Me and my family love the FB and will be looking forward to what they have to offer.

One last thing the next film will take place, at least somewhat, in Brazil. There is another location to enjoy with New York, Paris, and London(which I still hold out to replace FFL).

Last edited:
I don’t mean to sound like a broken record but I really miss the classic retro attractions....

When my son was 4 and we went to IOA (wanted him to meet the super heroes when he thought they were real, like his sister did with princesses), he was a Spider-Man nut but only rode the ride once because it scared him, but he rode jaws like 6 times and loved it. Despite the very 3D shark trying to eat him at every turn.

Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.