Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN '19 Employee Preview

Yeah that kinda gave me whiplash when I was watching Orlando's video lol. It was like "wait, you guys too?"

Edit: he gave thoughts:

Doesn't sound bad, just a bit more black wallzy than expected.

Yeah, if anything this spells well for me, since I tend to not mind black walls too much unless they're absolutely abhorrent, or if the other scenes make up for it, I'm in the minority that actually really enjoyed The Shining which sorta shows my stance on the subject

So far heres what im hearing

Good: Creepshow, Killer Klowns, Us, Holidayz In Hell, Ghostbusters, Frankenstien Meets The Wolfman, HoTC

Bad: Pandoras Box, Stranger Things

Despite the black walls, I think we can all agree that they're not AvED bad. Just a few minor black walls and thats about it. Give it a few days, and I think this might be better than last year. Overall, this looking to be a great year.

So far heres what im hearing

Good: Creepshow, Killer Klowns, Us, Holidayz In Hell, Ghostbusters, Frankenstien Meets The Wolfman

Bad: Pandoras Box, Stranger Things

Despite the black walls, I think we can all agree that they're not AvED bad. Just a few minor black walls and thats about it. Give it a few days, and I think this might be better than last year. Overall, this looking to be a great year.
From what it sounds like even the most egregious have maybe a Universal Monsters level of black walls, but most don't sound bad. A bright view of the future if Universal finally figures out that the event deserves a higher budget.

From what it sounds like even the most egregious have maybe a Universal Monsters level of black walls, but most don't sound bad. A bright view of the future if Universal finally figures out that the event deserves a higher budget.

I've been trying to figure this out. It seems like HHN pulls huge crowds. The biggest of any of the SoCal haunts (not sure how they compared to Orlando's crowds but they seem semi-comparable). I can't seem to figure out where this budget constraint is coming from. Is it Comcast not wanting to invest as much in Hollywood? Is it because of the Labor Unions and movie studio unions when they build on the backlot? I hate to admit it but Orlando's event opening a week early and allowing media to film the houses is making me jaded/sad. I still love HHN Hollywood. Just trying to figure out how it can be better.

There is no way the black walls are "stylistic" because they've been an issue for the past decade and were nowhere near as prevalent in 2006-2011.

My guess is when they expanded onto the backlot, the movie labor unions stepped into the picture because they were employing technicians and contractors on a movie studio lot (which is separate from the theme park), and labor costs skyrocketed.

Last edited:
Someone on a FB group said there was a Photo Op in Front of Ghost Busters, anyone have a picture of that? Also any other mazes they were cool enough to put things you could take pictures with before or after you enter the maze?

I've been trying to figure this out. It seems like HHN pulls huge crowds. The biggest of any of the SoCal haunts (not sure how they compared to Orlando's crowds but they seem semi-comparable). I can't seem to figure out where this budget constraint is coming from. Is it Comcast not wanting to invest as much in Hollywood? Is it because of the Labor Unions and movie studio unions when they build on the backlot? I hate to admit it but Orlando's event opening a week early and allowing media to film the houses is making me jaded/sad. I still love HHN Hollywood. Just trying to figure out how it can be better.
I think the only answer to make this better is with alcohol. Believe it or not, the event didn’t make much money in 2016, which explains all of the budget cuts the last two years. I think that booze will help. We will find out for sure as they should be pretty comfortable selling alcohol everywhere by now.

Also, Pandora’s Box apparently has a preshow.

From what I assume, the upper NBCUniversal management isn't a huge fan of the event since it takes up valuable backlot space where shooting could be occurring, and because it's not as old or as big as orlando, they sorta give us the short end of the stick, wouldn't be surprised if they consider Hollywood's event too non-family friendly to be at their primary park, but its too much of a moneymaker for them to ever cancel it.

I'm sad about pandora's box. Now I know why they didnt release any artwork. I completely forgot it was going to be UV and was expecting it to be just like the opening scenes. That would have been good. I really hope this doesn't mean less original jousesn I sure hope HIH is super popular and encourages them to do more originals. Pandora, from the footage I've seen looks like a lazy maze where they just smashed together Black sabbath and Alice Cooper Goes To Hell.

Going Thursday and still fully excited.