Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

In The Heights (2021 Film)

Slight update on this: Filming began for this on-location in Washington Heights back in June. Also, Lin-Manuel Miranda will have a role in this film, playing the Piragua Guy.

Update: First trailer drops tomorrow!

ELhb32TXsAA_Uf_

I am so excited for this. I saw the touring show 4 times. I LOVE this show!

This is where I became familiar with Karen Olivo. I never saw her in this show, but I did see her in the West Side Story revival, which she won a Tony for.

She is from Winter Haven, FL. And did tons of stuff in Orlando before she became a Broadway stud.

I’m very excited for this, as is my wife.

Although I’m not a fan of adding a political message to it. “They’re talking about kicking out all the dreamers.” Which has nothing to do with the version that I saw. So it’ll be interesting how they tie that in there.

Just a minor complaint, but realize it is what it is. Those with liberal mentalities are almost exclusively all the creative-types and creators and rank high in openness, so it is what it is and it comes with the territory. But as a conservative minded guy, I just want to see a movie without being preached to. But again, that’s they’re prerogative. Im excited to see it, and hopefully that’s just a blip for the trailer and they don’t veer off script.

My concern is a plot change. I have to assume you’ve never seen this show before.

In Broadway, there was never a single mention of any “dreamers” aka- illegal immigrants- “getting kicked out”.

But whatever makes you feel better.
I mean, dreamers may just be a term used specifically to mirror modern-day politics, as Lin does this quite a bit in his shows. I don't think a full period change would happen, but it's a possibility and I seriously don't care as long as the film's quality. On the topic of the trailer in general, I really love the surrealist elements added during the musical sequences and think the choreography's strength is up to par with what was seen during the show. I'm a tad concerned about the music, as a common issue in Hollywood musicals is overly clean vocal tracks that don't mesh with the sound of the dialogue recordings. Universal got around this with Les Mis (and as much of a meme as it is, I hope Tom Hooper does the same with CATS) by recording vocals live on set, and while this probably won't happen, I hope the audio mixing will help the musical numbers feel more natural and less jarring.

My concern is a plot change. I have to assume you’ve never seen this show before.

In Broadway, there was never a single mention of any “dreamers” aka- illegal immigrants- “getting kicked out”.

But whatever makes you feel better.
I haven't seen it. But I follow musicals, so I actually know a bit more about the narratives of them than the average bloke. My thoughts on it are really just more generalized based on a pretty surface level understanding of the show. I also write and studied literary theory, so I feel "keyed in" to the messages of artistic products.

There's three things to consider:

1) the actual plot and themes of the show is about desiring a and sacrificing for a better life. That's the conceit. All discussion around the show's narrative (and any changes to the show's narrative for the movie) will focus on adhering to that plot and its themes.

2) Movie adaptations of stage musicals tend to be far more direct and unsubtle with their messaging. It's actually the source of most complaints related to movie adaptations. We're seeing it with Cats. We saw it with Phantom and Les Mis. Nuance and abstraction in the story-telling is avoided in mass-produced musicals. Like "In the Heights."

3) Art, all art, isn't developed in a vacuum. And that matters because the musical was written over a decade ago in which so much as changed in our society. Those changes, change the art.

The thing about Lin-Manuel is that, aside from being a fairly average actor, everything he creates is made with HIS purpose and point of view in mind. He's not a fluff. And he's remarkably direct about his messaging. So, when I say that messaging was always there and that they're just making it explicit, I say that because it's exactly what we should have expected from everyone associated with it.

Anthony Ramos is perfect for Usnavi and the trailer looks good. Big fan of the show so I’m really looking forward to this.

Between him, Lin-Manuel as Piragua Guy and bringing back the OBC Abuela Claudia, this is some great casting. I'm loving the direction they're taking for Abuela's number based on what we saw in the trailer.

It does seem like we're gonna be getting a few minor changes to the plot, since the biggest thing that jumped out at me from the trailer is

the absence of Camila (Nina's mom/Kevin's wife). Couldn't find casting information on her, but with the addition of Marc Anthony's character maybe her Act 2 Number needed to go to fit one in for him.

Not sure how I feel about Daphne Rubin-Vega as Daniela, though. I'm sure she'll nail the character, but I can't say I'm a huge fan of her actual singing voice.

This video choked my up a little bit.

I remember when this first came out. I think it’s what made me fall in love with the show in the first place.

Scratch that: This GEM is what made me fall in love with ITH. I was an unabashed HSM fan, too, so that only added. And Spring Awakening-era Jonathan Groff!

Last edited:
Two trailers released on the same day. odd but I’ll take it :lol:

I personally think this is a much better trailer than the one above and hope the quality of the movie is closer to that of this trailer.

Last edited: