“Stage to Screen” General Discussion | Inside Universal Forums

“Stage to Screen” General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jul 27, 2015
Based on the “Dear Evan Hanson” thread, I figured a general discussion on stage to screen adaptations wouldn’t be bad. We can discuss what we want to see adapted as well as news for stuff that may not be big enough enough to warrant their own threads.

But for real, can we get a Miss Saigon movie?

Reactions: Allison
I have always thought Wicked could work either as a Live action or Animated film

No clue if Universal will be able to pull it off but hoping it great and if not would be cool if they also just filmed the stage show as well and put it on Peacock

I have always thought Wicked could work either as a Live action or Animated film

No clue if Universal will be able to pull it off but hoping it great and if not would be cool if they also just filmed the stage show as well and put it on Peacock
It has been talked about before, and then cancelled, and then talked about, then cancelled

I don't see it happening

Beyond what was listed, I can't say much about what i'd want to see as they've done so many adaptations in recent years. Avenue Q is definitely something i'd like to see and is one of my favorites (I used to use "Purpose" as my audition song for the longest time). We were talking about it yesterday, so i'd like to see Be More Chill adapted.

One musical I know will probably never get an adaptation because I don't think enough people know how freaking good this show is would be Bare: The Musical. If you've never seen it, the off-broadway version is literally on youtube. There's always been versions of it on youtube, which is how I fell in love with it years ago.

I would love to see Avenue Q, but I also wonder how they would approach it. The decision to have the puppeteers visible probably translates better on stage than it would on-screen.

And as much as I love the show and think many of its songs and satire are brilliant, I think they would need to dramatically rework the character of Christmas Eve. To my understanding, she has become - probably fairly - a flashpoint among younger audiences, and a student production was canceled due to the controversy at my alma mater a few years ago.

I was thinking about it and this year is crazy in the amount of adaptations we're getting. We all know about In The Heights, Dear Evan Hanson, and West Side Story, but tick, tick... BOOM! is ALSO coming out this year on Netflix, which will be Lin-Manuel Miranda's directorial debut and will star Andrew Garfield and Vanessa Hudgens.

Add on top of that that we are getting two animated musicals in Vivo and Encanto, this year is almost over-stuffed with musical content!