104.3 MYFM Private Party - Minion Mayhem trip report with rumors | Inside Universal Forums

104.3 MYFM Private Party - Minion Mayhem trip report with rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Apr 9, 2013
Maybe this is the wrong place to place this, if so sorry, I was just excited to share a conversation I had last night at this party with a cast member! Sorry I don't have pics now, I was having camera issues. I'll check with my daughter to see what she got.

The party was from 8-1am. I love these kinds of events - no crowds. Simpsons had a 80 minute, wait, everything else between 10-20 min.

Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem had some technical issues and we were taken out of line for a while, but they did get it up and running. Very well done! One thing the cast member told me is USO will not be getting Super Silly Fun Land. If you've seen where USO wedged in their version, there is no where to add it. They also only have one theater whereas we have 2.

Another thing that was nice is the tour tram was running which outside of HHN they don't do. Amity Island is back together and Bruce is doing his thing. They were filming an episode of "About a Boy" in the Chicken Ranch house, but we didn't really see anybody. For the first time in a while, we were taken through Courthouse square and the rebuilt sets. It was odd to me that we didn't get taken by War of the Worlds or Bates Motel. Biff's car from Back to the Future was tagged as being "checked out for filming".  Fast and Furious still dark (heard a good story on that one). Also I heard recently the bridge was up and collapsing, but it was dark last night too.

Now for that chat with a cast member (please remember nothing is in stone until the studio makes a formal announcement, but he seemed to be pretty sure about his facts).

1. Fast and Furious - Justin Lin was somewhat responsible for the $15m "dancing cars on arms" after Tokyo Drift HOWEVER, until sometime last year, he had never actually seen it in person. When he took a private tour through it, he was horrified and demanded it be closed immediately and permanently; it's not coming back. The new Fast and Furious will be the same as King Kong with the tram racing a car on either side. One of the things I've noticed about Universal is that when they have a good ride design, they really step it up next time they use the same type of design. (This is really obvious between Spiderman and Transformers). I'm really excited to see how this turns out!  First time I went through the Kong 3D, I thought back to the People Mover at DLR and the "Tron Tunnel" and their speed "effect". FnF#2 should be awesome!

2. Hogsmead  - We are getting Flight of the Hippogriff, of course Forbidden Journey (such an awesome ride) and the town with Olavander's. He wasn't sure about Gringott's but no Dueling Dragons for sure. Interesting (although I guess I should have known) they aren't allowed any outdoor rollercoasters due to noise code for the neighborhood. Forbidden Journey is REALLY going up. I've been watching updates over the last couple weeks and they're all over it. At this stage, there are no plans for Hogworts Express. When we talked about it, it seemed to turn his discussion to a 2nd gate (details below).

3. Simpsons/Springfield - Turns out they might be getting their own version of Kang and Kodo's Twirl 'n' Hurl. His specific words were "a Dumbo like ride going into Springfield". I'm assuming Kang & Kodo's since that's what's in Florida. He wasn't sure about Moe's Tavern, but a restaurant for certain.

4. Waterworld - The cast is very excited to see the changes coming to Waterworld. The company that runs the Singapore show is doing a lot of refurbishment in the theater including a whole new directional sound system (pesky neighbors), new cast and updated story.

5. General Expansion - The last offer from USH for the Bob Hope Golf Course of $90m was again rejected by Mr. Bob Barker (current owner). USH is now beginning negotiations with his next of kin for it. They are DETIRIMINED to get this property for a 2nd Gate. Seeing as they constrained with the neighborhood noise issues, it'll be interesting to see how that turns out. Everything has to be built in a sound proof studio, so I'm sure they'll see how the new outdoor rides fare (Super SIllyland, Simpson's and Flight of the Hippogriff) to determine the parameters off the 2nd gate.

If I find any other pics from my daughter, I'll post them later.

K

Yes I asked Jon to fix my thread title typo :/

What I could see them doing that would 1-up KK360 would be to have the screen cover your entire peripheral vision.

Kudos and Kang coming here? That seems VERY odd considering we already have a spinner. I'm pretty sure we'll get Moe's.

Oh, boy. Here come the golf course rumors again. It'd be nice if they were able to do it, but....I don't know if they can pull it off.

It would've been great if you could've asked him about the fate of Shrek.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got some things to say but first, I hope you had alot more fun having little to no wait for dm as that won't last. now onto those rumors and i'm Going to list them.

1.)  F&F Supercharged: Its nice to hear that its just going to rot *for now*. It isn't a suprise that it will be like Kong as thats a good template but i hope its more improved with a much larger screen to cover our vision from the roof as that was a big problem for me and i just hope our theory is true of the trams getting pimped as that be the more feasiable way to do it.

2.)  WWOHP: I think it wasn't a suprise of hippogriff coming due to it was kinda shown in a model a while back. i would've wished tho if you asked him on Great hall. but then i'm going to mix this and Springfield.

3.)  Golf Purchase Rumors revived: Ok, i am not a fan of this rumor but will it happen, mabye but you don't know but i will say this. There might be a few more problems due to how in the living hell would they connect the studio to the park as you need SOME changes to LA which they'd be pissed already but doing more things in that area *even though it could and could happen* I'd deem it impossiable as there is houses in that area too and the LA river and a living Hell of a challenge on Citywalk.

4.) Waterworld: back to lighter things; I do like to hear that as i am a fan and i hope people and even some of the change haters enjoy it as i've even heard good things but we'll see.

5.) SpringField: Ok; I think we know a Moes is coming, Possible Luigis replacing Ben/other pizza place, and possible KrustyBurger going next to the Tour entrance. Kang on the other hand is interesting; If they're doing it, why not something diffrent as you can really do something unique to it like have it a small family Drop tower like from the ride finalie and i think we might to help cover potter get that Hollywood-esque Welcome to springfield on that hill to make this grander and nicer.

Thats all on those but i do hope you had fun on that.

Like I said, the cast member seemed pretty confident in his facts, but of course until the powers that be make the announcement, it's not 100%.

I did ask about Shrek (trying to not get anyone in trouble there, but that' the show we were waiting at)...it will stay but is getting a new queue in the form of a forest; they're all very excited about that too. They had hoped for the Farquat/Dragon statue from the show, but got shot down.

The golf course (should it ever actually happen) is meant to be a 2nd gate, so connection to the park directly isn't necessary. If/when that day comes, they could probably set up some kind of tram to transport between parts (Hogwarts Express will be welcomed in USO - it's a long walk in the summer between gates there).

Springfield, I asked if the restaurant was like Moe's in FL and he honestly didn't know. I hope it is. And the ride, like I said, my guess is the alien ride but hos words were "dumbo-like" so maybe it be will something else - time will tell.

Fast and Furious TD, he was a bit evasive when I asked what's next for that part of the tour so maybe they are working on a plan to repurpose that, hopefully use it for something more appropriate for those dancing arms.  Supercharged, like I said, Universal impresses me with how they take a solid attritions model and instead of making a cookie cutter, really do step it up. Having rode Spiderman and Transformers within hours of each other, the similarities we obvious, but so was the upgrade.

...and yes, thank you both, it was a fun evening although long living in south OC and starting my days at 345am :)

mabye my hope for a kuka t-rex isn't that far off! Thanks for clearing up shrek and if thats true, i'd actauly be kinda happy as i would've liked a duloc to be bigger but its what you get so i'll go with it. but i guess with shrek we might have more years! :(  Although if the line looks good, i'd be fine with that. just hoping the entrance facade will change to work with the palm tree.

There's no room for a "Dumbo-like spinner" at all in SF. One's being built already in SSFL. Not happening.

Along with the golf course rumors... not happening anytime soon. The F&F and Potter ones are accurate, though.

Glad you had fun!

Just putting this out there, but cast members, both at Disney and Universal, aren't always or usually told of ALL expansion details, especially top secret ones that haven't been announced yet. They might know the general plan of what's coming, but unless they're high up or management made a point to make it known, cast members don't know extreme details, especially ones about contracts and ride details.

But I'm definitely excited about the new F&F, even if itll just be another projection filled extravaganza.

Reactions: Ryan
I did ask about Shrek (trying to not get anyone in trouble there, but that' the show we were waiting at)...it will stay but is getting a new queue in the form of a forest; they're all very excited about that too. They had hoped for the Farquat/Dragon statue from the show, but got shot down.

Awwwww man. :(

I skipped that Shrek one and it's going to be weird from what I remembered. The new queue will basically be adjacent to the Hippogriff ride, and utilize its forest scenery, that's all.

Keep in mind about TM rumors: they're not always getting first hand information. I myself have been guilty about this in the past. Using an example from an another park, you wouldn't believe how many CMs kept telling people that the subs in Disneyland were getting demolished until Iger himself had to speak against it at the shareholders' meeting.

Maybe that Springfield spinner will be on top of the FFB food court, because that's the only place it will fit.  :lol:

I don't believe the forest queue thing one bit. Hippogriff is gonna be by Hogwarts, which is not close to the Shrek showbuilding, and no way in hell does Shrek need a queue longer than Indiana Jones in length.

The backside of FotH in Orlando is directly adjacent to the Dragon Challenge queue. In our version, it seems Shrek will sort of fill in that space. In my opinion, there is some probability to a coherent forest theme linking the 2 areas, and it'd be nice to see something like that for once.

Reactions: Chris and mamabaer
I skipped that Shrek one and it's going to be weird from what I remembered. The new queue will basically be adjacent to the Hippogriff ride, and utilize its forest scenery, that's all.

That actually makes a lot of sense ;)
I don't believe the forest queue thing one bit. Hippogriff is gonna be by Hogwarts, which is not close to the Shrek showbuilding, and no way in hell does Shrek need a queue longer than Indiana Jones in length.
No one ever said "extending" the queue, retheming  but not extended.

In my opinion, a theme park attraction should enforce the "experience" everywhere. From the attraction entrance all the way to that gift shop. Shrek may not have a store anymore, but it should have a queue that isn't covered by a god-awful canopy.