2015 Academy Awards | Inside Universal Forums

2015 Academy Awards

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Apr 4, 2013
Tampa
Birdman, Grand Budapest Hotel, and the Imitation Game are among the big nominees this year. There seems to be some controversy over Selma's lack of nominations. The real travesty, imo, is the glaring omission of the Lego Movie for Best Animated feature. Just garbage right there. Further proof that the Academy is truly out of touch and turning the awards into a big joke.

http://oscar.go.com/nominees

Birdman, Grand Budapest Hotel, and the Imitation Game are among the big nominees this year. There seems to be some controversy over Selma's lack of nominations. The real travesty, imo, is the glaring omission of the Lego Movie for Best Animated feature. Just garbage right there. Further proof that the Academy is truly out of touch and turning the awards into a big joke.

Thanks for the thread! I had a paradox today!

Article in the local newspaper about 16 monster 20-40' live evergreen trees being moved to the island in the next few weeks. Communities concerned about power lines etc because of an apple tree that was relocated by another billionaire a few years back. Turns out it is for one of the Rales brother's new estates here and turns out that one of this billionaire Rales brother's companies is Indian Paintbrush, one of the Production companies responsible for Grand Budapest Hotel.

So, a few degrees of separation between a bunch of spruce trees and an academy award nomination all in the same day, on an island off the coast of Maine.

Last edited:
All of these movie awards are shams.

Yeah, it is called life and the judgement of it politically speaking and if you have enough money and will make us more money or at least make us look good.

If you have a job, then much of that is what is expected of you. I think it is a joke too... but we must all play. It has always been true.

This is the first year since No Country/There Will Be Blood that the three major contenders GBH/Birdman/Boyhood are the three best movies of the year. LOVE all the attention Whiplash is getting, too. Small film that nobody really saw but was powerful nonetheless. Selma definitely deserved more love. American Sniper's noms are completely bought and undeserving. People can't distinguish a great story (as in the events) from great storytelling.

Thinking Birdman or Whiplash should win for Best Picture.....American Sniper doesn't deserve to be on that list, and Boyhood certainly has a shot but I'm hoping the Academy doesn't go with the popular choice here (plus personally I didn't think that Boyhood was one of the best of the year). No Jake Gyllenhaal nom for Nightcrawler, no Gone Girl or Nightcrawler nom for Best Picture, and no Gone Girl nom for Best Score is disappointing. I also completely agree that the Academy's decision to snub LEGO Movie for Best Animated Film is a baffling one. Thinking this may be one of The worst Oscars in recent years, they really did a bad job with the nominations.

Predicted winners:

Picture: Boyhood
Director: Linklater
Actor: Keaton
Actress: Moore
Supp. Actor: Simmons
Supp. Actress: Arquette

The LEGO Movie getting snubbed is probably the worst snub in recent memory. I haven't seen most of the nominees for BP, but I'm all for Boyhood or Budapest winning.

I saw Whiplash back in October and it had already been out a few weeks.

Will Win/ Should Win:

Picture: Boyhood/Birdman
Director: Anderson/Inarritu
Actor: Keaton/Keaton
Actress: Moore/Moore
Supporting Actor: Simmons/Simmons
Supporting Actress: Arquette/Arquette
Original Screenplay: Birdman/Grand Budapest Hotel
Adapted Screenplay: Whiplash/Whiplash
Animated Feature: Princess Kaguya/ LEGO MOVIE