2016 BGT Coaster Confirmed | Page 14 | Inside Universal Forums

2016 BGT Coaster Confirmed

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well here are your choices and the one that sounds most likely is the one that sounds least likely...

B&M

Intamin

Great Coasters

If GCI is doing a prefab, that would be a new product/design for them, as they've only done the standard track building for wood coasters. I'm curious how they would work around the Intamin patents that I'm sure exist for that method, as well.

B&M's wooden trains they made for Psyclone sucked from everything I've heard, and given how conservative the two of them are, I highly doubt they would dabble in wood coasters...which leaves us with Intamin and their outstanding prefab system.

No...White lightning was built and tracked on-site (photo). Prefab wood coasters from Intamin like Colossus and El Toro have their track pre-assembled prior to shipping and arriving on site (photo). Those bars are the track stacks, and if you look at this picture you can see the white mounting brackets that the track stacks are attached to.

With wood coasters, prefab refers only to the track system, not the support structure. Sometimes the support structure will come already partially "assembled" in sections (especially for low sections or sections of larger bent structures for high turns or such), and is much easier to do with steel structures, though I've seen them do it with wooden structure as well.

No...White lightning was built and tracked on-site (photo). Prefab wood coasters from Intamin like Colossus and El Toro have their track pre-assembled prior to shipping and arriving on site (photo). Those bars are the track stacks, and if you look at this picture you can see the white mounting brackets that the track stacks are attached to.

With wood coasters, prefab refers only to the track system, not the support structure. Sometimes the support structure will come already partially "assembled" in sections (especially for low sections or sections of larger bent structures for high turns or such), and is much easier to do with steel structures, though I've seen them do it with wooden structure as well.

Sorry, prefabricated wasn't the term i should have used. What I was meaning is could this be just like White lighting were the supports are steel and track pieces wood?

Oh yeah, I have no doubt that Intamin would use a steel structure instead of wood if they were asked. There's no negative to using a metal support structure, and structurally its a better system for very dynamic rides/environments, the only tradeoff is visual, which could also be tackled if they want to throw the money at it. Actually...I wonder if they might be better off doing that, being able to have the track brackets and track bed beam be one solid metal piece...any engineers here that would have that kind of knowledge? For a visual, take a look at this picture of part of El Toro's supports and you can see what I mean with the track brackets.

So with all the rumbling going on about the Busch parks being sold and the company hurting for money, how does this play into SW and BGT getting a new coaster? Wouldn't them getting new be out of the question if these rumors are true?

So with all the rumbling going on about the Busch parks being sold and the company hurting for money, how does this play into SW and BGT getting a new coaster? Wouldn't them getting new be out of the question if these rumors are true?

That's one of my biggest concerns about this sale. I hope we can still get the coaster, but I fear that this could be scrapped if this sale happens.

Last edited:

We have a concrete post from an insider about new additions to these parks, yet nothing but speculation on the parks being sold. I think its safe to say which rumors we should be more inclined to believe :thumbs:

So I don't know what this means for Gwazi, but according to Screamscape a lightning strike occurred on Friday and the ride is still closed:

General Park News - (8/5/13) Anyone been by BGT to check on the status of Gwazi? I’ve been told that the coaster suffered a serious lightning strike on Friday evening and may still be closed due to damage caused. Can anyone else confirm?

Umm I think the coaster was running Saturday, not 100% sure, but I can tell you that lightning blast was the scariest thing I have ever heard in my life. A bright blinding flash, and easily the loudest thing I have ever heard in my life, shut down all the power for Kinetix, and literally had guests falling over. I've lived in Florida my entire life so lightning doesn't bother me but my legs were shaking after that one. I won't know anything until Wednesday though.

Gwazi seems to be destined to close, one way or another :blank:
Only a big, possibly inverted, coaster, preferably another dueling coaster, or an amazing dark ride, would be worthy of replacing Gwazi...

Gwazi seems to be destined to close, one way or another :blank:
Only a big, possibly inverted, coaster, preferably another dueling coaster, or an amazing dark ride, would be worthy of replacing Gwazi...

Well IMO there are a slew of attractions worthy of replacing Gwazi on its best day.

B&M Hyper, Giga, or 4D
Intamin Giga, Hyper, Pre Fab Wooden, or hydraulic launch
Gravity Group creation
GCI: Prefab
Rocky Mountain Wooden Coaster

According to Screamscape this morning, it's still closed, with no sign of testing. I know it's only been a few days since this incident happened, but thinking about the current rumors and what's currently going on with the ride, as well as the budget cuts going on with the parks (Crown Colony, EITA, etc), this definitely isn't a good sign for Gwazi.

General Park News - (8/6/13) A few readers have confirmed the Gwazi closure report, as well as a report from the park sent in on Monday to confirmt that Gwazi was still closed all day and showed no sign of even being tested.

I think this may have been the final nail in the coffin. Why would they waste money in trying to reopen just to tear it down later?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.