2016 BGT Coaster Confirmed | Page 19 | Inside Universal Forums

2016 BGT Coaster Confirmed

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Jonathan!

- - - Updated - - -

They seem to embrace that thrill park identity, whereas SW tries to market itself as a more well-rounded, family-friendly park. Regardless, I still want a hyper/giga/strata somewhere, anywhere!

Personally I think it would be better for Seaworld to focus more on thrills in the same way BG does, it is more needed in Orlando, since Universal is more into high tech immersive experiences, Disney is into Disney-stuff.

Is it wrong for me to hope for both? SeaWorld definitely needs something for 2015. And if Antarctica is what they put together in years time, they're already late.

If the idea is to completely redo the area where gwazi is, then it would make sense to wait a little longer; seems like what they plan is to build an entire new area there. Would be nice if they could replace Gwazi with a new coaster and still have room for something else.

If the idea is to completely redo the area where gwazi is, then it would make sense to wait a little longer; seems like what they plan is to build an entire new area there. Would be nice if they could replace Gwazi with a new coaster and still have room for something else.

Thanks Anihilnation! :)

The rumor to remove Gwazi had been tossed around for years now, so why not 2 coasters to replace 1? Or create a new land with a coaster, because Gwazi's footprint could certainly allow that. Or since Gwazi park is getting a change in 2016, then it must be an expansion of some sort!

So many possibilities. :)

The more I think about it, and the more I think about past history at both BGT and SWO, my gut is telling me that we'll see a new coaster at BGT in 2016 and a new coaster at SWO in 2017 or '18. Look at the span of time between Kraken and Manta: 9 years. We also don't see a lot of obvious activity going on at SWO right now...if they're going to open a new major coaster for next year, we're going to have to see major construction starting in the next few months. And seeing as how coasters are NOT the major focus of SWO, 2015 seems a tad early for a new mega coaster. Now BGT on the other hand is ripe and ready for a new coaster in 2016. Cheetah Hunt will be 5 years old and paid for (not to mention likely fully depreciated for tax purposes), Falcon's Fury will be 2, and the timing will be right to see a new mega thrill coaster drop. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gwazi stick around for the rest of the year, only to be demolished early next year for a new coaster opening in its spot for May 2016.

I'm no insider/expert...I'm simply speculating.

The more I think about it, and the more I think about past history at both BGT and SWO, my gut is telling me that we'll see a new coaster at BGT in 2016 and a new coaster at SWO in 2017 or '18. Look at the span of time between Kraken and Manta: 9 years. We also don't see a lot of obvious activity going on at SWO right now...if they're going to open a new major coaster for next year, we're going to have to see major construction starting in the next few months. And seeing as how coasters are NOT the major focus of SWO, 2015 seems a tad early for a new mega coaster. Now BGT on the other hand is ripe and ready for a new coaster in 2016. Cheetah Hunt will be 5 years old and paid for (not to mention likely fully depreciated for tax purposes), Falcon's Fury will be 2, and the timing will be right to see a new mega thrill coaster drop. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gwazi stick around for the rest of the year, only to be demolished early next year for a new coaster opening in its spot for May 2016.

I'm no insider/expert...I'm simply speculating.

I heard that Gwazi was gone this year.
Kinda makes sense with the animal show moving to Pantopia and the closure of the pizza buffet it seems that area could be ripe for something big.

I've heard the same thing about Gwazi leaving this year too. But why tear it out if they're not gonna do anything to the site for a full year? Seems like a foolish move to me. Then again, they may just be eager to get rid of it and save the money on maintenance and other expenses. Who knows? It'll be interesting to see what happens!

I've heard the same thing about Gwazi leaving this year too. But why tear it out if they're not gonna do anything to the site for a full year? Seems like a foolish move to me. Then again, they may just be eager to get rid of it and save the money on maintenance and other expenses. Who knows? It'll be interesting to see what happens!
Given the industry trend for the past 5-6 years, I suspect that this project is a titch more complex than simply dropping in a big steel coaster.

At Kings Island, they are building a new steel coaster on the spot where a big wooden coaster sat. They started tearing it out in 2012 after it had sat closed for 2-3 years. So if BGT plans on opening a new coaster in 2016 on the Gwazi spot, I'd fully expect it to be closed sooner than later.

At Kings Island, they are building a new steel coaster on the spot where a big wooden coaster sat. They started tearing it out in 2012 after it had sat closed for 2-3 years. So if BGT plans on opening a new coaster in 2016 on the Gwazi spot, I'd fully expect it to be closed sooner than later.

Son of Beast was torn out beginning in September and ending in November. So taking a nod from the timeline, I'd say look for an announcement of Gwazi's closure in the summer, with its last day being Labor Day (like Big Bad Wolf) or the end of HHN, and then demolition taking place in the winter. Since Gwazi's smaller than Son of Beast, I'd even say Gwazi will be gone by the end of 2014, regardless of the closure date.

Last edited:
I believe they only have plans of opening it for the busy season. Another part of their cost cutting measures.

They had re-opened it with a new menu (artisan sandwiches and craft beers) and closed it again, but it looks like it has re-opened as a buffet (including chicken parm now!). They had also closed down the Crown Colony (third floor, sit down dining) as part of the cost cutting measures, but it has re-opened as well.

Do you mean the summer season then?

Yeah, last time I heard about it it was just another thing they were making seasonal like some shows, and I believe another restaurant, but it was about 2 months ago I last heard anything about it so things very well could have changed. And the only season I heard about them opening anything was Summer.

After reading this entire thread, We've gone from Jungala Hypercoaster to Gwazi removal. Either one would suit me, so hopefully Construction will begin soon! :)

I like gwazi but a replacement is needed. Hopefully it's another dueling coaster

Well the rumors have resurfaced, and from what I've gathered from multiple sources, a 2015/2016 coaster has been approved, but the name, location, and type are yet to be determined.

Also, the old Critter Castaways theater will be demolished by the end of this year, so that may be a hint.

I have thought of different locations though.

1. Bird Gardens
2. Jungala reservoir
3. Egypt
4. Nairobi (RR replacement?)

But the first thing to consider is what exactly will this coaster be?

I'm assuming the long rumored gigacoaster, but maybe we'll see a new type of coaster come to BGT.

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.