2023 Holidays at Universal Studios Hollywood | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

2023 Holidays at Universal Studios Hollywood

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Question for those who have meet the Grinch

I've never done it but want to, if f I get there before par opening is the line under 30 mins or will I still have an hour plus wait?

If it's anything like previous years, if you are there at park opening and among the first few rows of guests waiting at rope drop, you won't have an issue. We have been the very first guests in the queue twice without much effort (lot of folks run for Potter or now Nintendo). The queue will full up FAST, however - within 3-4 minutes - so you need to go right there. The attendees may claim The Grinch will not appear for a while, but I'd ignore them. Despite these claims, he came out within 5-10 minutes both visits.

If it's anything like previous years, if you are there at park opening and among the first few rows of guests waiting at rope drop, you won't have an issue. We have been the very first guests in the queue twice without much effort (lot of folks run for Potter or now Nintendo). The queue will full up FAST, however - within 3-4 minutes - so you need to go right there. The attendees may claim The Grinch will not appear for a while, but I'd ignore them. Despite these claims, he came out within 5-10 minutes both visits.
Thank you so much for the info

May plan was to go there and just wait until he showed up and sounds like it wont be long before he's there, so my plan is to be at the gate 30ish mins before the park opens and hopefully meet the grinch within the first 30 mins of the park opening then

Reactions: Jake S
Ok I got to the park yesterday at 8:30 AM, was in the park waiting for the Grinch

Still took an hour because waiting for the area to open and 30 more mins for the Grinch to show up but it went by like a snap after that. This is my first time ever meeting hr grinch and it was great would not want to wait that long again, so my advice is just show up to the Grinch area 15 mins after it opens and hope the line is short and he hasn't arrived by then

6b5c15fc-5901-41c9-9fb2-f2b69a0daf21.jpg

Couple of other notes
Grinch has now been moved to the other side of the plaza, so he is across the street from Mel's Dinner now
Max was not there at night time and he used to be, also max spot moved to over near where the Grinch used to meet people when you would walk in the plaza coming in from Starbucks
Cindy Lou now has a here own area to read to and meet kids, it's across from Dreamworks Theater in the Plaza.
The Court yard near Paris is back open (yayyyyy)

The Holiday Singing show in Whoville is pretty good, the songs these choose were a good selection and its a fun show
The Nighttime Grinchmas tree lighting show is similar to last year but not the same, for sure recommend it for the snow and ending lights
The Hogwarts Castle show is 1 to 1 the same, I was hoping maybe they would surprise us with Drones...no it's the same show. It's still good but the Dark Arts will just be the best show until another show gets Drones of something else that is as big of a wow factor
The Lights in most lands are the same but will say at night the place is just an attraction in itself walking around the lands, so if you do come make sure to enjoy all the lands at night because they are just so well done.

I'd say this year Universal did a great job, I would like one more show again at Grinchmas, The Potter show to add something like if not Drones for a bigger finisher and can't wait to see if they ever Dress up SNW but if your going you should have a great time by the time the lights dime because the park is just beautiful then

The Event was super fun

Pretty Low crowds and too much to do which is a great thing

All Holiday shows were up. Both Grinch meet and greets were up and both had 60-90 min lines

SNW was dead and MK highest wait time was 35 mins.

A Minion, BeatleJuice, Marilyn Monroe, Bumble Bee were out and I heard Hallo Kitty was as well but did not she her to confirm

They had only once entrance for the Grinch area and closed it off during the Tree lighting.

Most rides were walk on

Great Event, no real complaints besides its being on a weekday but...I get it not complaining but would have loved to stay longer but work. Also only 1 Secruty side open which caused a longgggg line at the start of the event but it was really great. If you go tonight, I'm sure you will have a great time

Last edited:
I also had a good time at the event. Got myself a hot chocolate on my way out, but sadly only classic was left. I really wanted to try S'mores, but I'll probably buy earlier in the day next time for both that and it cooling to a reasonable amount before sipping, they stay hot for a while.
I'd also love to see more of these events if it means SNW is much more breathable to where you can easily farm the key coins, though that's probably because the holiday stuff took pressure off of it.

Though funny enough, SNW and Mario Kart were even less busy before the event started, as I got there a couple hours before (5PM), and the wait time was at 10 minutes (though in reality it was a walk-on and both pre-shows were skipped), and I'd say the crowd level was almost the lowest I had seen them since the make-up passholder preview day.

The cave part of the MK queue was roped off and you essentially got sent through half of the stairs VIP guests take, which was surreal. Wonder if the weather conditions, weekday, holiday events, and the park closing early to the public influenced all of that in one go. This time of year could be a prime time to visit SNW, assuming the winter break rush ends up being even busier, which it probably will be.

Went yesterday. Got there around 3pm. Killed time for the sun to go down with Forbidden Journey, Jurassic World, and then Mario Kart -- the latter was about an hourlong wait, and I'm finding I'm less interested in re-riding it with each passing time, but then we go back out into the land and I see kids and (some) families just having so much fun that I'm still glad the land is here even if I'm far from its target audience. Land still looks great at night, and like others have mentioned, it'll be really interesting to see if it's ever given a holiday overlay, because I think it would just pop.

Went upstairs for the 7pm showtime of the tree lighting ceremony and good Lord, though, are people just (unsurprisingly) beyond rude. Our philosophy was, "If we can sit, we can sit, but if we have to stand, it's all good," and we were pretty close up to the front of the "line" being held to be let in on the DreamWorks Theater side of the plaza. Even then, we ended up standing because people just took off shoving others and practically tripping down people or using children as guided missiles just to secure a seat on the benches; it reminded me of what pre-pandemic Black Fridays used to look like with how so many people reduced themselves to savagery just to be able to sit. Ironically, that's exactly what I consider the Christmas spirit nowadays, so I guess it's fitting.

Anyway, the show was as cute as it always is -- I love that it seems like there's more background set design than ever. The whole area is just such a win for the holidays. I don't do treats and photo ops, but again, just from observing, it all looks good, and people are clearly into it, especially that Grinch photo op. Feels like there's been a resurgence in popularity over the character/story lately or something, because I don't remember ever seeing as many people rockin' Grinch-related clothing and merch as I did last night, and I'm here for it.

Did the Hogwarts show after that, slick as usual, and the crowd was impressed. Always neat to see some people get emotional when that final "Leaving Hogwarts" track kicks in! We left to get dinner after that, but overall, another Grinchmas/Holidays in the park in the books. I love that Universal has been going more and more out on putting lights and decor in every nook and cranny, which makes the park look so gorgeous at night.

Beyond the potential for Nintendo to be decked out, I agree with what others have said -- a Secret Life of Pets holiday overlay where the pets are trying to get to a holiday party would be welcome, or a few smaller experiences spread out around the park like carolers or something to sort of spread the nighttime holiday activity-specific stuff away from just the plaza/Hogsmeade. Either way, crowds and random unpleasantness of other people aside, it's always cozy doing this time of year at Universal, and this year was no different.

This was my first year meeting the Grinch....while I won't say its worth 90+ mins wait

The actors kill it, they are clearly having the best time and so is everyone else.

I'll be going Sunday in hopes to meet the Grinch at the AP only location

This was my first year meeting the Grinch....while I won't say its worth 90+ mins wait

The actors kill it, they are clearly having the best time and so is everyone else.

I'll be going Sunday in hopes to meet the Grinch at the AP only location
Can definitely attest to how fun the Grinch is with the hilarity I've seen with my own experiences and waiting in line. I'd even say the Grinch is the holiday equivalent to Megatron.

The Holidays at Universal Studios Hollywood are back, featuring returning favorites like Grinchmas and Christmas in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

The Holidays at Universal Studios Hollywood are back, featuring returning favorites like Grinchmas and Christmas in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

So the Grinch is now meeting people by the Studio Tour as well?

I'm assuming just on weekends?

Hey all! Headed to Universal Hollywood tomorrow and wondering if Grinch is at Studio Tour all day? Wanting to get there early to go right into Nintendo Land after early entry and then head to Grinch. Really wanting to avoid a long line for Grinch so want to avoid the main one.

Hey all! Headed to Universal Hollywood tomorrow and wondering if Grinch is at Studio Tour all day? Wanting to get there early to go right into Nintendo Land after early entry and then head to Grinch. Really wanting to avoid a long line for Grinch so want to avoid the main one.
So Grinch was about 30 min wait at the plaza at 9am the day before Xmas Eve. There were two other Grinch photo ops at Jurassic World and Studio Tour exit. Both were open to all as I know the Jurassic World one had previously only been for VIP and pass holders.

Reactions: UNIrd