A Celebration of Harry Potter | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

A Celebration of Harry Potter

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
seth whats the private event? and what we saw in the podcast the gringotts set was said to be in the soundstage? when will you guys be able to see that this weekend?

Private event is an after-hour party in Hogsmeade for VIPs and vacation package purchasers.
The set was in soundstage 33, I will have pictures from inside after 9am Saturday.

^ Sorry, but I don't keep a soundstage diagram in my wallet. Which one is 33?

Soundstages.png

It's normally used for private events by outside companies who rent it out.

It's normally used for private events by outside companies who rent it out.

It seemed like that stage was being used every time I went back there at HHN last year. How often do they actually rent it out? I've been to company parties where we rented out IOA and USF and never got to see the inside.

awesome thanks seth!!

- - - Updated - - -

enjoy the event and take a lot of pictures let us know when it goes live on you site!

It seemed like that stage was being used every time I went back there at HHN last year. How often do they actually rent it out? I've been to company parties where we rented out IOA and USF and never got to see the inside.

It is rented out frequently.

I had an awesome time this weekend at the HP Celebration! I'll post pics later, but for now I just wanted to say that the event was pretty great (for fans and for Universal--getting more guests during a slower time of the year and selling lots of merch, I'm certain). It does looks like Universal is thinking of bringing it back, as there were survey people on every corner. Let's hope they bring it back bigger and better!

BTW, they need to devise some way so that AP-holders aren't constantly screwed out of these special events. I'd happily pay a basic "event fee" so I could have the privileges (Express access to panels/Expo, access the private event) that the vacation package holders got. I don't need park tickets or a hotel... They also got some nice goodies, which :doh: writing this now I remember that I totally forgot to get one of the pins from the event! Dammit..... They were nice, too... :(

Took this 360 photosynth of the expo floor this morning. It was okay. Seemed mostly like photo ops, a couple of displays and a store area. I like Potter okay, I'm not a true fan or anything, but I feel they could have done better. http://photosynth.net/view/3a7f4b24-bb9e-4ba5-bf2b-b50e8bf63d8d

It was hard to get a clear shot with all the people and activity.

Nice 360 pic! :thumbs:

I do hope they have more in the future, but I really enjoyed what they did have. I was even impressed with some of the stuff, like in the Wanted poster photo-op, they printed those as postcards for free :thumbs: and also e-mailed it to you. You could get free autographs from the cover artist of the new editions of the HP books, as well as from the graphic designers from the movies (and theme parks), or from the people at the panels if you caught them at the right time (which is not common at most conventions). I thought they had a lot of cool stuff, but yeah, it would have been nicer if some areas would have been "bigger." Like the one with the costumes from the Harry Potter Exhibition only had four costumes, but even that is understandable. I guess if you wanna see the full Exhibition, you gotta go to it! :lol:

I think once Diagon Alley opens, they'll make the HPCelebrations last more than one weekend, what do you guys think???

Maybe, but to a certain extent. These events don't just happen because they want to throw a party. They typically happen to increase attendance and revenue during slower times of the year. I could see this happen at least yearly, but if they're gonna do it more times throughout the year, it's gonna be only if it's worth their while. They are a business after all, and you gotta get in their mindset and think: will putting on this event increase attendance and spending, more than what they would have already gotten at that point in time, and will that additional revenue cover the costs of the event and leave a profit? They gotta get a good ROI from all the costs they incur in extra staff, fees from the talent, etc... Anything Potter will pretty much be a huge success, but if they're already gonna get huge crowds, say at the end of each year (for example, if that was another time to have the event), they would not want to invest in another event if they're not gonna get that considerably higher profit to justify the investment. Does that make sense?

Maybe, but to a certain extent. These events don't just happen because they want to throw a party. They typically happen to increase attendance and revenue during slower times of the year. I could see this happen at least yearly, but if they're gonna do it more times throughout the year, it's gonna be only if it's worth their while. They are a business after all, and you gotta get in their mindset and think: will putting on this event increase attendance and spending, more than what they would have already gotten at that point in time, and will that additional revenue cover the costs of the event and leave a profit? They gotta get a good ROI from all the costs they incur in extra staff, fees from the talent, etc... Anything Potter will pretty much be a huge success, but if they're already gonna get huge crowds, say at the end of each year (for example, if that was another time to have the event), they would not want to invest in another event if they're not gonna get that considerably higher profit to justify the investment. Does that make sense?
I don't think he meant more than one time throughout the year, I think he meant more SWW style where the event lasts for several (consecutive) weekends.

I think it really depends on a whole host of things...Personally from what I saw the event seemed like a success and the amount of costumes was great..Honestly I could see them doing a Star Wars weekends type event in January/February which would be a nice transition between Christmas and Mardi Gras..they could also make it bigger than it was this year and expand offerings..maybe even have a haunted house-esqu type walk through...in reality though it really all falls on whether the benefit outweighed the cost in my opinion..and this weekend seemed like a test run of some new ideas

I don't think he meant more than one time throughout the year, I think he meant more SWW style where the event lasts for several (consecutive) weekends.

Same thing, though. It all goes back to ROI. And it might actually be easier and more profitable to book the HP talent and have the weekends at different times of the year than for a few consecutive weekends (if they're gonna hold more than one HPCelebration per year). I'm sure they're considering all options.

I think it really depends on a whole host of things...Personally from what I saw the event seemed like a success and the amount of costumes was great..Honestly I could see them doing a Star Wars weekends type event in January/February which would be a nice transition between Christmas and Mardi Gras..they could also make it bigger than it was this year and expand offerings..maybe even have a haunted house-esqu type walk through...in reality though it really all falls on whether the benefit outweighed the cost in my opinion..and this weekend seemed like a test run of some new ideas

Absolutely. And I also agree that the event looked like a huge success every way you look at it!

Anyone else complete the survey? :wave:

I've been meaning to. I even got a reminder e-mail today. I've just been really busy... but I'll do it today :p

EDIT: I just finished the survey. Nothing on there to indicate what may come in the future, but plenty of opportunities to write in opinions and feedback, so I made sure to specify that it would be nice for AP-holders and locals to be able to get the privileges of the vacation package people without having to get a hotel or park tickets.

Last edited:
I've been meaning to. I even got a reminder e-mail today. I've just been really busy... but I'll do it today :p

EDIT: I just finished the survey. Nothing on there to indicate what may come in the future, but plenty of opportunities to write in opinions and feedback, so I made sure to specify that it would be nice for AP-holders and locals to be able to get the privileges of the vacation package people without having to get a hotel or park tickets.

You and I think alike :cheers: