A Quiet Place (HHN 2024) | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

A Quiet Place (HHN 2024)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I don’t love these movies but I absolutely think material works well for the event and I think the TWD spot makes perfect sense as a location. Looking forward to this one.

But! We’re burying the lead a bit here. If this goes well and Paramount and USH can forge a fruitful partnership, the IP that would fall into our lap is extremely enticing. Could be a big step forward in that department.
It's an interesting opportunity, but I'm not really sure what Paramount can provide outside of Smile and The Ring. Maybe Pet Sematary?

It's an interesting opportunity, but I'm not really sure what Paramount can provide outside of Smile and The Ring. Maybe Pet Sematary?
For sake of reference, Scream 5 and 6 were both distributed by Paramount. Obviously the rights there are a big ball of mush so I dont think it increases its chances, but I suppose its worth mentioning. They also distributed Annihilation, and 2022 Hellraiser but thats never gonna happen lol.

Reactions: chris.g
For sake of reference, Scream 5 and 6 were both distributed by Paramount. Obviously the rights there are a big ball of mush so I dont think it increases its chances, but I suppose its worth mentioning. They also distributed Annihilation, and 2022 Hellraiser but thats never gonna happen lol.
Yeah Scream was them but Paramount was never the issue there.

Reactions: Freak and chris.g
Maybe nothing changes, but this new era of Spyglass Media Group (who has a distribution deal with Paramount) owning the rights to the Scream franchise is way different than the pre-2019 era. Not saying we’d get a direct adaption of a Scream movie but my feeling is the odds of getting the Ghostface character go up assuming all parties had the interest. Spyglass also has a rights agreement with Clive Barker. So they hold a lot of cards, and obviously they’re an arm of Paramount at this point. So it’s something.

Maybe nothing changes, but this new era of Spyglass Media Group (who has a distribution deal with Paramount) owning the rights to the Scream franchise is way different than the pre-2019 era. Not saying we’d get a direct adaption of a Scream movie but my feeling is the odds of getting the Ghostface character go up assuming all parties had the interest. Spyglass also has a rights agreement with Clive Barker. So they hold a lot of cards, and obviously they’re an arm of Paramount at this point. So it’s something.
A quick correction: Spyglass is actually an independent company. I believe Lionsgate and WB have a stake, but ultimately they're the ones who have final say over licensing.

Reactions: Jake S
A quick correction: Spyglass is actually an independent company. I believe Lionsgate and WB have a stake, but ultimately they're the ones who have final say over licensing.
Sorry, why is a correction is necessary? I never said they weren't independent, and I never said they wouldn't have a final say over the license. Spyglass has a deal in place and a relationship with Paramount, which is true. And a lot of times, these deals come together via connections, and these are promising connections, if there's interest among the parties; it maybe opens doors for using the Ghostface character if, again, the parties have interest. And I'm talking specifically about the Ghostface character as the IP. The odds of HHN ever doing an adaptation of a classic Scream film are significantly low, not to mention a different topic altogether.

WB has an equity stake in Spyglass, and maybe that first-look deal is still in place (I doubt it since they've yet to actually bring anything to WB), but that doesn't meant they can dictate terms in these deals. They'll just take their cut.

Lionsgate won't factor at all. Spyglass gained the Scream rights when they acquired them from the Weinstein Company library, and the ones for Scream weren't sold to Lionsgate: Lionsgate Acquires Bulk of Weinstein Film Library in Spyglass Deal

All I'm saying is the likelihood went from 0% to something more than 0% and that's pretty interesting.

Sorry, why is a correction is necessary? I never said they weren't independent, and I never said they wouldn't have a final say over the license. Spyglass has a deal in place and a relationship with Paramount, which is true. And a lot of times, these deals come together via connections, and these are promising connections, if there's interest among the parties; it maybe opens doors for using the Ghostface character if, again, the parties have interest. And I'm talking specifically about the Ghostface character as the IP. The odds of HHN ever doing an adaptation of a classic Scream film are significantly low, not to mention a different topic altogether.

WB has an equity stake in Spyglass, and maybe that first-look deal is still in place (I doubt it since they've yet to actually bring anything to WB), but that doesn't meant they can dictate terms in these deals. They'll just take their cut.

Lionsgate won't factor at all. Spyglass gained the Scream rights when they acquired them from the Weinstein Company library, and the ones for Scream weren't sold to Lionsgate: Lionsgate Acquires Bulk of Weinstein Film Library in Spyglass Deal

All I'm saying is the likelihood went from 0% to something more than 0% and that's pretty interesting.
I'm aware of the nature of Spyglass's relationship with Lionsgate, I used to work there. I'm mostly objecting to calling Spyglass an "arm" of Paramount, they're completely independent and they have final say.

Connections can mean a lot but they can also mean very little - Scott Cawthorn and M Night Shyamalan both have relationships with universal, but that didn't end up bringing FNAF or Split to HHN. Paramount was clearly never the roadblock here, since they're happy licensing out AQP.

Does that mean Scream will never come to this event? No, we've seen IP holders come around before. But my guess is that this changes very little.

Reactions: viking_wizard_eyes
The more I hear about this the more excited I actually am about this house. It's kind of a random IP to chose IMO, but I think this could be the underdog for how technically impressive this is. Hey, maybe this will be another stepping stone that will get us to the Thing?

Also, I have to wonder if they are trying to establish a good working relationship with Paramount so they can get Scream. I know, Spyglass and all of that, but this would be a good foot-in-the-door.