Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

A Touch of Disney Limited Food Event

Mar 23, 2015
Orange County, CA
Disney has officially announced their new food event that will take place over at DCA. It looks like it will be snack sizes of popular food and drinks from the entire resort. Tickets start at $75 and include parking, unlimited Photopass downloads and the $25 tasting card. It also looks like they will be opening reservations for a few of the sit down restaurants as well. More info here!

Aside from the counterpoint that you'd be getting a $25 card and "free" parking (although the value of that is mooted if you don't go by yourself), this demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of the foundational valuation concept that underpins the theme parks, which is not at all surprising. $75 minus $25 minus $10 = $40 to do what, walk around the park and see some characters?

One of these days I should write a piece about how "the Commercial organization" came to be the ones behind the wheel of all this nickel-and-dime stuff and at the expense of what. Disney was always expensive and there was always a gift shop at the end of every ride, but chasing what are frankly pennies to the company as a whole in this fashion used to be beneath them.

Aside from the counterpoint that you'd be getting a $25 card and "free" parking (although the value of that is mooted if you don't go by yourself), this demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of the foundational valuation concept that underpins the theme parks, which is not at all surprising. $75 minus $25 minus $10 = $40 to do what, walk around the park and see some characters?

One of these days I should write a piece about how "the Commercial organization" came to be the ones behind the wheel of all this nickel-and-dime stuff and at the expense of what. Disney was always expensive and there was always a gift shop at the end of every ride, but chasing what are frankly pennies to the company as a whole in this fashion used to be beneath them.

What’s the alternative though? Operate at a loss and suffer more layoffs? If there’s demand charge whatever you can to stay afloat. These are unprecedented times and the state hasn’t done much to help.

What’s the alternative though? Operate at a loss and suffer more layoffs? If there’s demand charge whatever you can to stay afloat. These are unprecedented times and the state hasn’t done much to help.

There is probably a debate to be had about what Disney could have been doing this entire time to at least keep some money coming in the door. I know I have my own ideas of what they could have been doing to adapt this entire time, but overall I am just glad to see them finally doing something to help keep those Cast Members working. Aside from that I do feel like the admission fee is more or less what you would have paid for any DCA food event anyway so I have no issue with there.

Here's the alternative: Knott's Taste of Boysenberry Festival

If it follows the pattern of the last four festivals there will be characters to see, food to be had, and you can walk around the park.

Parking is free, you get 5 tasting items, and it costs $45.

Average Person: I can't imagine just walking around a theme park, eating, and not riding anything

Local Pass Holder: Wow...um..yeah...who would be into that? :look:

I mean, they can charge this much because there is a large audience that will gladly pay it.

Personally, I am not one of those people. I've largely never found the food at Disney to be memorable, even the Food & Wine selections. I wasn't going to go if it was the same price as Knott's.

Also, I just find the name--"Touch of Disney"--to be so uninspiring and bland, and pretty clearly a sub-par rip off of all the Knott's "Taste of..." events. Like, that's the best they could come up with?

Here's the alternative: Knott's Taste of Boysenberry Festival

If it follows the pattern of the last four festivals there will be characters to see, food to be had, and you can walk around the park.

Parking is free, you get 5 tasting items, and it costs $45.

Knott’s has a lot less overhead and a lot flatter demand curve, though. I understand the frustration seeing the company cash in on something that may be ridiculous to *us* but if this gets employees hours and fulfills a need, what’s the downside?

Average Person: I can't imagine just walking around a theme park, eating, and not riding anything

Local Pass Holder: Wow...um..yeah...who would be into that? :look:
It boggles my mind that there are people like this. Whenever I put money down on a Disney pass, I made sure I went on rides. That's what I'm paying for. Getting the churro and ice cream bar was the gravy.

As someone already pointed out, when you factor out the parking and the $25 value "taste card", you're literally paying $40 to just walk around and buy food and shop. I'm sorry, but I'm not that desperate to enjoy Disney again. If I'm really itching to get my theme park fix, I'll just fly out to Florida again. The Knott's events are always far more enjoyable and a much better value.

I plan to go to the Knott's Boysenberry Festival as I was pleasantly surprised by the "Taste of Fall-O-Ween" event. It's was a good value and they put on a great event considering the restrictions. I imagine the Boysenberry Festival will be the same way. At least with those events, they know it's simply a food festival and are willing to set expectations and pricing accordingly. With Disney doing this, it feels like such a blatant, souless cash-grab. They might as well name this event "A Touch of Your Wallet at Disney."

I mean, if this is your forte, then great! Enjoy yourself! I'm not down to pay $75 just to eat food and buy more stuff.

There is also the factor that the few times I've gone to Downtown DIsney, I just have a very negative aurora from that place now. I understand there are safety precautions they have to have with Covid, but I don't get that at Knott's. They have shown that they can adhere to the guidelines and circumstances without making it feel like a prison. At DD it feels very....eh......"off". Security guards staring you down after waiting in a long line to enter while having a security dog sniffing around you while having security towers looming over your head just feels very intimidating. Disney should learn from Knott's in that regard.

Last edited:
Knott’s has a lot less overhead and a lot flatter demand curve, though. I understand the frustration seeing the company cash in on something that may be ridiculous to *us* but if this gets employees hours and fulfills a need, what’s the downside?
If they’re looking to be good corporate citizens and get employees hours, they would open twice as many food locations and drive volume by making a gift card purchase your entry fee: something like a $30 gift card gets an individual in, $100 gets a family of four in. They’re still clearing a decent margin on these food purchases.

I guess the verdict will be how quickly tickets sell.

Price wise...it had to be over 50 because Disney fans are buts and bet will still sell out

Not for me but enjoy all those who want to go. I'll save up and go this summer for 50 bucks more and get to ride rides.

It boggles my mind that there are people like this. Whenever I put money down on a Disney pass, I made sure I went on rides. That's what I'm paying for. Getting the churro and ice cream bar was the gravy.

As someone already pointed out, when you factor out the parking and the $25 value "taste card", you're literally paying $40 to just walk around and buy food and shop. I'm sorry, but I'm not that desperate to enjoy Disney again. If I'm really itching to get my theme park fix, I'll just fly out to Florida again. The Knott's events are always far more enjoyable and a much better value.

I plan to go to the Knott's Boysenberry Festival as I was pleasantly surprised by the "Taste of Fall-O-Ween" event. It's was a good value and they put on a great event considering the restrictions. I imagine the Boysenberry Festival will be the same way. At least with those events, they know it's simply a food festival and are willing to set expectations and pricing accordingly. With Disney doing this, it feels like such a blatant, souless cash-grab. They might as well name this event "A Touch of Your Wallet at Disney."

I mean, if this is your forte, then great! Enjoy yourself! I'm not down to pay $75 just to eat food and buy more stuff.

There is also the factor that the few times I've gone to Downtown DIsney, I just have a very negative aurora from that place now. I understand there are safety precautions they have to have with Covid, but I don't get that at Knott's. They have shown that they can adhere to the guidelines and circumstances without making it feel like a prison. At DD it feels very....eh......"off". Security guards staring you down after waiting in a long line to enter while having a security dog sniffing around you while having security towers looming over your head just feels very intimidating. Disney should learn from Knott's in that regard.

Theme parks, especially Disney's, have become way more than just the rides for a lot of people. That being said, we are obviously in a weird situation where not only Annual Passes are non-existent but rides are not able to be operated. There is clearly a market for people who want to walk around a half opened Disney park (see: Buena Vista Street opening) so this is nothing new and quite frankly, neither is the price tag for a Disney branded event. Whether that price is fair or reasonable will always a hot topic but rest assured if people will pay to check out Pixar Pier the day before it opens, people will gladly pay to eat food and be "in" the theme park after not being able to do so for a year. This seems as traditionally "Disney" as any other hard ticket event they've done.

In general, I do think Knott's runs a better food event which is probably why they were able to transition so easily last year. The bar was unintentionally set as well so I would call Disney late to the party if anything. Only ticket sales will tell!

Its a Status thing....look I'm having fun, don't you wish you had/spent the money on this to and now you are missing out?

Disney doesn't even have to market hard any more Youtubers and influencers try to give you FOMO and since most of my generation aren't having families or buying homes...what else can we do but go to Theme parks and pretend spending money on ourselves is what should make you happy.

So this isn't an actual food fest, but just regular park snacks and such?

Mostly park items at park locations, but the “marketplaces” sound like how they’ll pull Disneyland items over:
These guest-favorites will be available at locations around the park, including Smokejumpers Grill, Adorable Snowman Frosted Treats, Award Wieners, Cocina Cucamonga to name a few, and six seasonal and creatively themed marketplaces.

Also, not full portions:
Many items will be served snack-sized, so you can delight in a variety of bites and sips from mid-day through the evening.

Here is the entire food list for those interested:
OK, there is a lot more available than dole whips and churros. I don't think the price is out of line for what is offered.