Alton Towers Secret Weapon 7 (SW7) | Page 18 | Inside Universal Forums

Alton Towers Secret Weapon 7 (SW7)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Thanks guys! I really do suggest coming over on a trip in the future. The Smiler blew me away.

Flan, do you reckon it will be rated fairly highly in the coaster polls at the start of next year?

I hope so, I've done a fair amount of coasters in the UK, France, Germany and USA and this one is definitely up there. Its sheer relentlessness puts it above quite a lot of the coasters I've ridden but I am an inversion junky.

I rode the smiler today, we got to AT at around 8:40 and went straight over to it getting in the queue at about 9:15.... then we waited... and waited!

I really enjoyed the queue, got talking to 2 fellow scouse girls who were coaster enthusiasts too which was nice! The "pit" queue really builds the tension, but it was kinda broke by the cheers as the first train load of riders went up the lift hill! What a buzz!

I really liked the coaster, I am not going to compare it to nemmy as that's like comparing apples to oranges. They're so different. But Smiler really is totally disorientating, the transitions between inversions are perfect, the only criticism I have is that it was rough... rougher than a brand new coaster should ever be, the harness banged my left collarbone/shoulder, which is now rather hurty!. We rode in the 3rd row, maybe it would be better in the front!

My boyfriend LOVED the smiler! Personally I prefer my thrills from a B&M, Although I was buzzing, smiling, exhilarated and thoroughly marmalised when I came off!

John Wardley really has created a masterpiece and as I believe he is now retiring, this is a spectacular coaster to bid us farewell with!

Pics soon!

Hi Guys and Gals,

I am back from a wonderful trip aboard the Disney Magic which also aloud me to take in a visit to Park Aventura and ride the fantastic Shambala more on that to come in another thread.

Since my return on Saturday I finally got to ride The Smiler. I had 4 goes on Sunday, I won't do a review as that has been done several times already.

I really enjoyed the ride but it was a weired experience, I knew the ride so much it didn't feel new to me LOL. I knew every twist and turn as they came along, I think this took away from the excitement of that first ride. Don't get me wrong I really enjoyed it, it has a couple of great airtime moments and some of the inversions are amazing. not all effects are working and it still needs a few tweaks (see news below) I would like it to be a little quicker and coming out of thye cobra roll is a bad transition, quite painful.

I stood waiting by the exit for friends in Sunday, in the 20 mins i was stood there 3 people were sick and 1 was in tears holding thier collar bone :stunned:

Latest News

I am so glad that I got my rides in yesterday as The Smiler has stalled for a 3rd time. This is a different fault this time and is to do with a computer error.

http://old.towerstimes.co.uk/news/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1370862903&archive=&start_from=&ucat=1,10,11&

Last edited:
Hi Guys and Gals,

I am back from a wonderful trip aboard the Disney Magic which also aloud me to take in a visit to Park Aventura and ride the fantastic Shambala more on that to come in another thread.

Since my return on Saturday I finally got to ride The Smiler. I had 4 goes on Sunday, I won't do a review as that has been done several times already.

I really enjoyed the ride but it was a weired experience, I knew the ride so much it didn't feel new to me LOL. I knew every twist and turn as they came along, I think this took away from the excitement of that first ride. Don't get me wrong I really enjoyed it, it has a couple of great airtime moments and some of the inversions are amazing. not all effects are working and it still needs a few tweaks (see news below) I would like it to be a little quicker and coming out of thye cobra roll is a bad transition, quite painful.

I stood waiting by the exit for friends in Sunday, in the 20 mins i was stood there 3 people were sick and 1 was in tears holding thier collar bone :stunned:

Latest News

I am so glad that I got my rides in yesterday as The Smiler has stalled for a 3rd time. This is a different fault this time and is to do with a computer error.

http://old.towerstimes.co.uk/news/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1370862903&archive=&start_from=&ucat=1,10,11&

Per one of our previous conversations Roodles that's a little scary... Otherwise I called it on the mass amounts of vomit that will be coming from this ride :lol:

Went on The Smiler om opening day (31st May), it was epic. I am going back later this month, then I shall give my full verdict, but I think this could top my 'all time greatest' list.

Rode it 3 more times today, they had harder wheels on and it felt much quicker. Certainly rode better than it did on Sunday, still rough coming out of the cobra roll, 3rd inversion from the end but thats the track profile and no amout of playing with wheels will fix that.

All in all it is a great ride and the more you ride it and learn how to ride it the better it becomes, be interesting to see if they make any changes is the close season.

I will get over with a camera when the weather picks up and bring a final update.

A tonne of my friends went to AT yesterday & loved it! I however, didn't go as I don't fair well on upside down rollercoasters. :embarassed: I just couldn't justify the cost of driving up + the admission price when I wouldn't even go on 80+% of the rides there.