An EPIC Adventure - A Live & Interactive trip report | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

An EPIC Adventure - A Live & Interactive trip report

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Day 2 - NYC

Up early this morning, was awake at 3am, beck home they would be 8am so my body actually thinks it's had a lie in. Early start is good though as want to get lots done. First stop, after coffee, is a trip to the top of the rock, see you up there later guys.

Last edited:
Day 2 - NYC

Up early this morning, was awake at 3am, beck home they would be 8am so my buddy actually thinks it's had a lie in. Early start is good though as want to get lots done. First stop, after coffee, is a trip to the top of the rock, see you up there later guys.
Got up at 5:30 AM this morning so I can adjust to early hours with you and Sam. :sleep:...Alene leaves for work at that time anyway, so she's used to it.

To add: if you’re thinking of seeing a show this week, I can’t recommend the Today Tix app enough. They have lotteries, rushes, and overall discounted tickets for everything from comedy festivals to big Broadway shows. I don’t buy tickets anyway else!

Reactions: UK-Trigg
Busy one today guys......

Top of the rock was awesome, stunning views and no crowds as we hit it real early, was in line by 07.40 for a 8.00am opening.

Whilst sorting our tickets for top of the rock we were also able to book onto the 10am Rockefeller Center tour.

We are using New York City Pass which pre pays for attractions upfront, and saves money on i
the gate prices, there are several of these prepaid tickets available but after research this one suited us best. Basically you rock up to the attention you want, flash your pass and get your attraction tickets.

Both the trip to the top and the tour were both available on our pass.

We had some time to kill before the tour which was great opportunity for breakfast, 2 sausage egg and cheese muffins for 4 bucks was just what was need.

The tour was awesome and I would highly recommend it. We had a good knowledgeable guide AND andwere both intrigued to learn about the center. If Mr Rockefeller were still around today his wealth (in today's money) would be more than Jeff Bezos and Bill Gates combined.

After the Rockefeller we decided to make the most of the sunshine so we mage or our wup 5th and hit up central park. We spend a good few hours here and walked from the south end all the way up to north end and beck again, not to mention the numerous times we got lost. All in all we did a good miles around the parkand didn't even scratch the surface, central park is a massive 2.5 miles long by a half mile wide .

We did take a detour away from the park for lunch. Whilst doing my research I found an old style luncheonette on upper East side which had hardly changed since the 1940s, a really step back in time with good food to boot. A little pricey but worth a visit for there award winning homemade lemonade.

Lexington Candy | Luncheonette

After the park we made our way back to the room via Broadway. All in all we've covered nearly 20 miles today and both our feet are aching but a good day has been had all round.

Time for some down time before hitting a bar and maybe the Empire State Building (also on the pass) to get some night views of this amazing city.

Will sort some photos later, but for now both me and my phone are in need of a recharge.

Of the shows currently on tap, I'd recommend the following that'll be affordable --

--Phantom
--Spongebob (seriously, it's great)
--The Band's Visit
--Pretty Woman (haven't seen, but reviews are solid

Definitely skip Aladdin. It's weak.
Recommend using the TodayTix app for same-day affordable seats if you don't want to trek out to TKTS.

Did you enjoy the blistering heat today? I was in Harlem today working on a personal project. No AC on site. Brutal. Enjoy your stay! I'm off to the beach tomorrow, Long Beach isn't far from you if you have affordable transportation available.

Of the shows currently on tap, I'd recommend the following that'll be affordable --

--Phantom
--The Band's Visit

Recommend using the TodayTix app for same-day affordable seats if you don't want to trek out to TKTS.
I almost never use the todaytix app, although it is good to have for some app only lotteries and leaving more options open. Sometimes they have good shows but if you are in nyc with time you will be much more successful with box office rushes. The bands visit used to be cheap late on stubhub but mostly no longer is since they won the tony award. If you strike out and want a cheap ticket stop by a play box office and get a cheap ticket there when they open. They play that goes wrong is amazing and was $45 for a front row seat.

Phantom standing room at $27 is a good deal but no guarantee.

Reactions: Clive
Busy one today guys......

Top of the rock was awesome, stunning views and no crowds as we hit it real early, was in line by 07.40 for a 8.00am opening.

Whilst sorting our tickets for top of the rock we were also able to book onto the 10am Rockefeller Center tour.

We are using New York City Pass which pre pays for attractions upfront, and saves money on i
the gate prices, there are several of these prepaid tickets available but after research this one suited us best. Basically you rock up to the attention you want, flash your pass and get your attraction tickets.

Both the trip to the top and the tour were both available on our pass.

We had some time to kill before the tour which was great opportunity for breakfast, 2 sausage egg and cheese muffins for 4 bucks was just what was need.

The tour was awesome and I would highly recommend it. We had a good knowledgeable guide AND andwere both intrigued to learn about the center. If Mr Rockefeller were still around today his wealth (in today's money) would be more than Jeff Bezos and Bill Gates combined.

After the Rockefeller we decided to make the most of the sunshine so we mage or our wup 5th and hit up central park. We spend a good few hours here and walked from the south end all the way up to north end and beck again, not to mention the numerous times we got lost. All in all we did a good miles around the parkand didn't even scratch the surface, central park is a massive 2.5 miles long by a half mile wide .

We did take a detour away from the park for lunch. Whilst doing my research I found an old style luncheonette on upper East side which had hardly changed since the 1940s, a really step back in time with good food to boot. A little pricey but worth a visit for there award winning homemade lemonade.

Lexington Candy | Luncheonette

After the park we made our way back to the room via Broadway. All in all we've covered nearly 20 miles today and both our feet are aching but a good day has been had all round.

Time for some down time before hitting a bar and maybe the Empire State Building (also on the pass) to get some night views of this amazing city.

Will sort some photos later, but for now both me and my phone are in need of a recharge.

Good training for the parks!. Nice report, I am looking forward to following your adventures

Hey! I work in NYC so best of luck on getting everything in.

Some suggestions for food/drinks:
1. Dead Rabbit-down in the Stone Street area of the financial district, it's got some of the best drink's I've ever had. The Irish Coffee is a must.
2. Employees Only-speakeasy type of bar on Hudson street. It gets crowded as the night goes long, so get there early so super late. (Last call is 4 am)
3. Spyglass Rooftop Bar at The Archer Hotel. It has one of the best views of the Empire State Building. It's a want to be fancy type of place but the view is great.
4. Fraunces Tavern- down by Southstreet Seaport, it's a tavern from George Washington's days. Porterhouse Brewing Company serves beer there and the food is good too!

I can go on and on but if there's anything in particular you're looking for, let me know and I'd be happy to point you in the right direction. Hope you and the GF enjoy the trip and potentially get a show in.

Great advice, thanks. Currently at the rooftop bar having mojito and enjoying the view. Where next?

I cannot believe you walked so much! It almost sounds crazy!

Can't ssi and relax, so the walk today was literally, your gonna like this, a stroll in the park.

--Phantom
--The Band's Visit

May check out pretty woman

Did you enjoy the blistering heat today? I was in Harlem today working on a personal project. No AC on site. Brutal. Enjoy your stay! I'm off to the beach tomorrow, Long Beach isn't far from you if you have affordable transportation available.

Yep, love the sun, love the heat, no complaints here.

Good training for the parks!. Nice report, I am looking forward to following your adventures

Thanks, man. Beers in Orlando?

Reactions: Mad Dog
Thanks, man. Beers in Orlando?
Well yeah! I think the 22nd is our overlap and I am at Aventura so that is an HHN night. Your call, feel free to PM me I hope to have 10 - 20 friends onsite that night and some from your side of the pond. Hope we can meet, feel free to message me and a beer (or two) are in the menu. Was at the park today to see how it was shaping up, it was fun. I can't post this vid here but this is a link to it. (click here)
Hope that is not us. Things were breaking in the ceilings.

Well yeah! I think the 22nd is our overlap and I am at Aventura so that is an HHN night. Your call, feel free to PM me I hope to have 10 - 20 friends onsite that night and some from your side of the pond. Hope we can meet, feel free to message me and a beer (or two) are in the menu. Was at the park today to see how it was shaping up, it was fun. I can't post this vid here but this is a link to it. (click here)
Hope that is not us. Things were breaking in the ceilings.

That's some serious weather right there !

I'm pretty sure we can arrange a meet, let's make it happen :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Day 2 cont....

So we ended up at another roof top bar, Top of the Strand

33 W 37th St, New York, NY 10018
Top of the Strand - Google Search

Nice place with decent views.

Samantha had some nasty horrible Aperol, tequila and lemon cocktail. I hate bitter flavours so this was just awful to me. I did however really like the white and I had, Florida Cracker brewed with orange and cilantro.

Google Image Result for https://boozedancing.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/cigar-city-florida-cracker-belgian-style-white-ale.jpg

Anyone tried this? I've never come across it before but I'm hoping to find it again in Orlando later in the trip.

So after beers it was time to head up to the top of the building we had been staring at whilst enjoying or beers.

The tour apparently had just been revamped and some staff were still getting to grips with this, all was good though. They have lots of displays all through the queued with some accessing photos and details from the build, all really interesting stuff. The elevator ride up is need with projections showing the building being built as you pass level by level. The views were stunning and It was nice to have done the rock during the day and ESB by night. All in all a very long but very enjoyable first full day in NYC.

The tour apparently had just been revamped and some staff were still getting to grips with this, all was good though. They have lots of displays all through the queued with some accessing photos and details from the build, all really interesting stuff. The elevator ride up is need with projections showing the building being built as you pass level by level. The views were stunning and It was nice to have done the rock during the day and ESB by night. All in all a very long but very enjoyable first full day in NYC.

Glad you're having a good time!

If you're considering seeing something on broadway, a crowd sourced list of the cheapest tickets are here: BroadwayForBrokePeople.com

If you check out Grand Central Terminal, the Oyster bar underneath is famous and is owned and operated by the same family since it opened. It's an icon in an iconic building (but I'm not an oyster guy).

Also a couple blocks up in Urbanspace Vanderbuilt, a food hall with mini-stands of great food from throughout the city. They have Dough doughnut which are huge and put you right into a diabetic bliss.

If you go to the Metropolitian Museum of Art, you can get the views from its roof and enjoy looking at the park from on top of the building. The Egyptian section in there is my favorite.

Anything in particular you're looking for? Quiet work day so I can do your research lol.