Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

An EPIC Adventure - A Live & Interactive trip report

Day 9 - Laurel Mountains

The first 8 days of this trip have been pretty full on @Teebin will be pleased to know that the next couple days are much more relaxed. Today would see us take a trip up the Laurel Mountains, part of the Appalachian Range.

We headed out through Mt pleasant and took a stop to see the Seven Springs Ski Resort, with temperatures touching 100 it was hard to imagine the skiing season but the slopes were clear to see even if they did lack the cold white stuff. After a brief stop we were back on the road heading further up the mountain, the views from up here are stunning and some of the green scenery was reminiscent of the English countryside.

We arrived at Ohiopyle waterfall and rapids on the Yougihony river in no time. The rapids and falls are ferocious but there is a shallow area of water which allows bathing, the water was so clear and with the heat beating down I couldn't wait to take a dip but first we had a walk round to check out the area. we headed across the bridge onto the Yougihony bike trail which runs some 400+ miles all the way to Washington DC, again the views from here were stunning and showed mother nature at her best.

Lunch was looming so we hit the The Falls old general store, inside was like taking a trip down memory as the walls were adorned with photos of the store and area dating back to the early 1900s. I ordered lunch from the specials board, American beef, mushrooms, onions and swiss on a 6" sub, a side of beef barley soup and a soda, all for less than 10 bucks. The sub was really good but the real hero of my lunch was the beef barley soup, this was so good I purchased a quart to go, perfect for the nights starter.

After lunch it was time to cool off in river, it was chilly at first but once the body acclimatized it felt wonderful against the searing heat. The current was strong and I couldnt swim against it so waded up stream to swim back down, the ducks and geese had the same idea and the memory off swimming alongside them is one that will last forever. After our swim we dried off and made our way back to the car, on the way I spotted a dear old lady trying to make her way down a small slope to get to the waters edge, being an English gentleman I headed over to offer her a hand. She was most grateful and to my surprise Ann was from the UK and had moved over to the states many years previous, we stood chatting for ages, infact we chatted so long Ann never made it to the waters edge but I did help her back up the slope for her ride. We both agreed that if her daughter asked she did go in the water.

This whole area is steeped in history and @Mad Dog knowledge of this is second to none, seriously you couldn't pay money for a better tour guide. He took us down route 40, the first national road in the U.S, showed us fort necessity and Jumonville Glen where George Washington assassinated the French representative which led to the French & Indian war. @Mad Dog taught me so much I am struggling to retain it all.

From the mountain views, the river and the old town of Ohiopyle this side trip had shown me some of the America I had been searching for, and it didn't disappoint. The parks are great but this was what it's about, real rockwork, natural beauty and gold old fashioned fun that didn't cost a dime.

After the trip we were all hungry and @Mad Dog soon had steaks sizzling on the BBQ. Med rare and cooked to perfection, the soup from earlier made the perfect start to the massive but delicious steak dinner, those steaks overhung the plate. Great job buddy :drool::eat::thumbsup:

After dinner we sat out on the balcony, Its just like being at AKL with all the wildlife on view, over a beer we sat and watched deer, squirrels. chipmunks and various types of colorful birds. Gregg (@Mad Dog brother) joined us and I was determined to catch him out with the cats/jim beam game. I asked him if he knew of the famous deli (Katz ) I had visited in NYC, he kept guessing wrong so I had to change tact, I showed him a photo on my phone "ah katz" he replied :exclap: shots all round, before the end of the night we had another bottle to hang in the tree.

Edited - missing paragraph

Photos to follow later.....................

Last edited:
Second ride on GateKeeper made Mark a bit nauseated. But he was completely cool on Top Thrill Dragster. Top Thrill was really intense to me, but it was fun. It was probably the most intense ride I've ever done....and we did it back to back as it was just about a walk on. Cedar Point had a few really good coasters, but way too many whose rides have really deteriorated from when I rode them previously. As an example, Magnum used to be my favorite coaster. But it was soooo bad now I would never ride it again. There's about six coasters there that are so painful that they really need to be torn down. I would guess the water situation from the lake causes major issues. I've been going to Cedar point since the 70's. I doubt I'll ever go back. The park has certainly been uglified with too much concrete and coasters, many of them terrible. It's no longer the beautiful & diversified park I once knew.

I think the thought of most rides is far worse than it actually is. Falcon's Fury in theory is terrifying but if you close your eyes, I think it's one of the most tame thrill rides I've ever been on. Top Thrill Dragster looks like it would terrifying because it actually is. Out of all the coasters I've been on, Manta and that damned pretzel loop gets me every single time and it's to the point now where I'm almost refusing to ride it.

Cedar Point is definitely on my bucket list but I think I'll leave the experience with the same thoughts as, Mark. One and done but happy for the experience.

Don't be intimidated by Top Thrill it is extreme but the adrenaline rush is awesome and you can't help but come of grinning from ear to ear. Solid 10 for me.

I rode gwazi at the end too, Advil was needed right after. If I remember right @bobwadd and Dianne were with me that day. The only coaster I've ridden that came close to how bad gwazi was at the end was furious baco at port aventura.

I don't ever really remember Gwazi being that bad but I was young and the bumpier the better. The only coaster I've came off where I physically felt abused was Apocalypse at Magic Mountain. It was awful. I hope that all the new RMCs don't end up having the same fate as these wooden coasters and I think the wooden coaster days may now be past at the big Orlando parks.

With some luck, the wifi on the plane tomorrow should be good enough to start a thread similar to this. I love reading these kind of threads, it's always fascinating and gives a better glimpse into an experience than any video or article plus it's always filled with great tips and little bits of trivia and info that would always be impossible to find or easily overlooked.

After our swim we dried off and made our way back to the car, on the way I spotted a dear old lady trying to make her way down a small slope to get to the waters edge, being an English gentleman I headed over to offer her a hand. She was most grateful and to my surprise Ann was from the UK and had moved over to the states many years previous, we stood chatting for ages, infact we chatted so long Ann never made it to the waters edge but I did help her back up the slope for her ride. We both agreed that if her daughter asked she did go in the water.

That is what most impresses me about the dozen or so people I have met from the UK. Unfailingly polite and helpful. I salute you sir, great deed.

With some luck, the wifi on the plane tomorrow should be good enough to start a thread similar to this. I love reading these kind of threads, it's always fascinating and gives a better glimpse into an experience than any video or article plus it's always filled with great tips and little bits of trivia and info that would always be impossible to find or easily overlooked.

Please do (he says self servingly) I really enjoy other's impressions and experiences. Looking forward to it.

Hey Mark, as you guys drive through West Virginia tomorrow to get to Dollywood, you are going to end up going right by where I grew up. About 17 miles south of Beckley, you will pass Ghent. It is pronounced differently than the one in Belgium. We say it gent. Like in gentlemen. It is exit 28 on I-77.

If you are around Fayetteville (where you'll cross a BIG bridge) around lunch or dinner time there is a great pizza place called Pies & Pints.

Welcome to Pies & Pints! - Pies & Pints | Great pizza and awesome craft beer - Get Some!

Thanks for taking us along!

I’ve been to NYC a few times, but it is neat to see it from tourists point of few.

Work once had me in OH over a weekend and I got to see the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame and then a day at Cedar Park, but it was open for some Halloween stuff (but I did not stay late and only rode coasters) which I bring up for I was freezing with how cold the air is coming off the lake when I rode Maverick.

I think the family and I will still be in Orlando on your first day there.

Thanks for taking us along!

I’ve been to NYC a few times, but it is neat to see it from tourists point of few.

Work once had me in OH over a weekend and I got to see the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame and then a day at Cedar Park, but it was open for some Halloween stuff (but I did not stay late and only rode coasters) which I bring up for I was freezing with how cold the air is coming off the lake when I rode Maverick.

I think the family and I will still be in Orlando on your first day there.
Oh, man that sounds like the prime day. Will you and the family be doing SS at Finn's?

Oh, man that sounds like the prime day. Will you and the family be doing SS at Finn's?

I avoid planning! If I am following correctly, that is the Saturday.

My past experience has me believing that the 2nd SAT is typically the slowest night (after the passholders that do the AP event leave around 9ish).

I do not adjust well to the mazes when the sun is still out and if that is our forth night, there is a good chance we will not do stay and scream...hard to say, we use to eat at Finn’s for S&S, but we have not done that in a few years....I will try and plant the seeds...maybe I can break away if the family is not up to SS...time will tell!

I avoid planning! If I am following correctly, that is the Saturday.

My past experience has me believing that the 2nd SAT is typically the slowest night (after the passholders that do the AP event leave around 9ish).

I do not adjust well to the mazes when the sun is still out and if that is our forth night, there is a good chance we will not do stay and scream...hard to say, we use to eat at Finn’s for S&S, but we have not done that in a few years....I will try and plant the seeds...maybe I can break away if the family is not up to SS...time will tell!
OK, hope to see you in the switchbacks then. Looking like a banner year!

Hey guys, just been reading everyone's kind words @JoeCamel , @Frank Drackman , @Scott W, @Disneyhead, @bobwadd , @Mad Dog thank you all for your input, sorry if I missed anyone. Right at the start I wanted the thread to be interactive and it sure has been, yinz guys comments and the fact that people are enjoying following along makes it even more worth while, and guess what guys, we still got three weeks to go. Im currently on my last night at the @Mad Dog resort and I would like to take this opportunity to thank him and his good lady Alene for affording us the amazing hospitality during our week long stay in Pittsburgh, we have seen and done things that most tourists would never dream of. Samantha and I feel both blessed and honored to have such good friends this side of the pond. I am feeling sad to be leaving here but as the saying goes, as one door closes another one opens and the fact we have more friends and adventures ahead is easing the sadness of leaving the past week behind. @Mad Dog and Alene wanted us to feel and make our selves at home and we have most certainly felt just that.

Just to add, it sounds like a few may well be around for stay and scream on the 22nd, if you are please drop a line here, would be awesome to meet you all.

Im just about to sort the mountain photos and I think these are some of the best shots yet, but ill let you guys be the judge of that.

Last edited:
20180904_144245[1] by UK-Trigg, on Flickr://flic.kr/p/29JZWyQ]
43806144464_4187e6f5d5_b.jpg
[/url]20180904_144225[1] by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180904_145007[1] by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180904_144652[1] by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180904_144721[1] by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180904_145933[1] by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180904_150053[1] by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180904_150818[1] by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180904_151234[1] by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180904_150752[1] by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180904_155516[1] by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180904_132757[1] by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180904_133556[1] by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180904_134520[1] by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180904_152037[1] by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180904_152828[1] by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

20180904_154750[1] by UK-Trigg, on Flickr

I think he was trained long before that. :cheers: :grin:
Yes, for sure. But now he has a taste for bourbon too, among other things. We hung the second empty bottle of Jim Beam from the cherry tree minutes before departure. I dropped them off at the Enterprise in Morgantown and they've been on the road for an hour and a half already. Should be approaching the dreaded Sommerville WV speed traps soon.

Yes, for sure. But now he has a taste for bourbon too, among other things. We hung the second empty bottle of Jim Beam from the cherry tree minutes before departure. I dropped them off at the Enterprise in Morgantown and they've been on the road for an hour and a half already. Should be approaching the dreaded Sommerville WV speed traps soon.

Looks like we'll make it before them. We just stopped at a rest station just after the Tennessee line. We'll have "real" Moonshine waiting :what: