Annual Pass Question | Inside Universal Forums

Annual Pass Question

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Dec 18, 2011
Hi all -

I'll be next heading down to UOR in November and I'm going to get annual passes for my family since we know we'll be back again within a year. My question is - when does the 1 year clock start ticking with APs? If I buy them now does my 1 year start now or does it start when they are first used?

Also, if I buy now and don't activate until November, can I get the AP discount at the hotel now for my November stay?

Thanks in advance and any info the experts here can provide would be appreciated.

Maybe someone else can be more certain, but I believe when you order online you just get a voucher in the mail or print out a certificate to take to the ticket windows to exchange for an actual pass. The pass is then good from a year from the day you visit the ticket window. As for the hotels, on the Universal site just put in the promotion code APH, and it will let you book the passholder rate. You still might have to show the pass at check-in though.

Maybe someone else can be more certain, but I believe when you order online you just get a voucher in the mail or print out a certificate to take to the ticket windows to exchange for an actual pass. The pass is then good from a year from the day you visit the ticket window. As for the hotels, on the Universal site just put in the promotion code APH, and it will let you book the passholder rate. You still might have to show the pass at check-in though.

That is correct. Just bring your printed confirmation to a ticket window to redeem.

Wait, we just discussed this in another thread. They used to give you the option of having the pass sent in the mail. That is how I received mine. Is this no longer the case?

You get a confirmation number when you buy pass online.
You need that and the credit card purchased on.
Go to those ATM like machine to get your passes.
You can get the passholder discount now for hotel just put APH in code box.
You will need to redeem passes before you can check in .
P.S. Free parking for AP holders does not include hotels that is still 15.00 dollars a day.

P.S.S. you can have shipped for a fee or you can just get it there with number and CC

Last edited:
I just went on their site and went thru the motions to buy a ticket and FedX is a shipping option.

Good thanks. So that is the way you can get free parking first time. Have the pass shipped to you, will probably be cheaper then the first time parking. Good question however, can you still get free parking even when you are staying overnight at one of their hotels? Can you park there for a week 24/7 while staying at their hotel?

Last edited:
Good thanks. So that is the way you can get free parking first time. Have the pass shipped to you, will probably be cheaper then the first time parking. Good question however, can you still get free parking even when you are staying overnight at one of their hotels? Can you park their for a week 24/7 while staying at their hotel?

If you want move your bags thru citywalk.
The parking charge is on your Hotel bill.
Do not know if they check when you pull up or if they just charge it as a default.
They may just know if you drove if your AP is charged for the free parking.
Your car will be one of the few left overnight in parking deck.

Dont they tow cars left over night in the parking garage?

- - - Updated - - -

Good thanks. So that is the way you can get free parking first time. Have the pass shipped to you, will probably be cheaper then the first time parking. Good question however, can you still get free parking even when you are staying overnight at one of their hotels? Can you park their for a week 24/7 while staying at their hotel?

Do they validate if you pay to park and then go get your pass? Thought i heard if you pay to park then get your pass they will give you your money back. Maybe im confusing that with Disney or another park :shrug:

Dont they tow cars left over night in the parking garage?

- - - Updated - - -

Do they validate if you pay to park and then go get your pass? Thought i heard if you pay to park then get your pass they will give you your money back. Maybe im confusing that with Disney or another park :shrug:

Pass is not good on first day even if validated.
I got around this by coming in late in the day .
Got dropped off to get my pass went in picked up my pass went in and out the gate.

Got picked back up.
Next day parking was on

Six Flags will apply parking fee to parking pass or season pass(w/parking) if purchased same day.

Last edited:
Ok let me see if I can clear some things up here. First off, I highly doubt that what you would get in the mail would be the actual live pass, since they need to see your photo ID when they issue a pass. I think it would be some kind of voucher that you would still take to the ticket window.

Second, you cannot park your car overnight in the parking garages, especially for days. It will be towed. What you do, and I just did this myself a few weeks ago, is go ahead and park in the hotel parking lot (it is $18 per day plus tax, can't really get around this), then walk (or take the boat) over to one of the parks, get your annual pass, walk back and check in. The only way to get around the hotel parking fee is to not have a car with you, basically just being dropped off and then picked up on checkout day. Just be glad they don't also tack on a resort fee like some properties do.

Ok let me see if I can clear some things up here. First off, I highly doubt that what you would get in the mail would be the actual live pass, since they need to see your photo ID when they issue a pass.

Mine was sent in the mail, and I got free parking the first time even before using it (i remember because i was surprised), and I don't recall anyone ever asking for my photo id. Keep in mind it was ordered from a Florida (billing) address and sent to the same Florida address. One certainly doesn't need an id to purchase a day ticket or show id. I know that too, because I purchased 5 tickets for friends just a couple of years ago.

No Annual Passes are active (meaning no free parking) until they enter a park for the 1st time. You can exchange your confirmation for a pass at a ticket window, but if you don't use it to enter a park it isn't valid.

Mine was sent in the mail, and I got free parking the first time even before using it (i remember because i was surprised), and I don't recall anyone ever asking for my photo id. Keep in mind it was ordered from a Florida (billing) address and sent to the same Florida address. One certainly doesn't need an id to purchase a day ticket or show id. I know that too, because I purchased 5 tickets for friends just a couple of years ago.

Well that's not what I experienced at guest services at universal studios, both having to show ID for myself, and watching a man with his son be turned away from purchasing a ticket for his wife without her there, even though he even had her ID.

Ok let me see if I can clear some things up here. First off, I highly doubt that what you would get in the mail would be the actual live pass, since they need to see your photo ID when they issue a pass. I think it would be some kind of voucher that you would still take to the ticket window.

Second, you cannot park your car overnight in the parking garages, especially for days. It will be towed. What you do, and I just did this myself a few weeks ago, is go ahead and park in the hotel parking lot (it is $18 per day plus tax, can't really get around this), then walk (or take the boat) over to one of the parks, get your annual pass, walk back and check in. The only way to get around the hotel parking fee is to not have a car with you, basically just being dropped off and then picked up on checkout day. Just be glad they don't also tack on a resort fee like some properties do.

You can get your pass at the desk at the hotel no need to go to the park to get it.It will not be live for parking till the day after it goes live(you go in the park).But you can use it to check in at hotel.

p.s. you can buy tickets there also without the huge line even if not staying in hotel.

Last edited: