Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

AP passholder nights 8/19, 8/20

I almost didn't ride Forbidden Journey during the event last night. I had a velociraptor to go see, and I wanted to check out Hulk. But I did anyway, and ended up stuck on the ride for the first time ever. I used to sort of want to be stuck on the ride, to see it with the worklights on. However, for this, we were stuck in the Forbidden Forest section. Mostly in the dark, although they did turn the lights on eventually. The ride made 3 failed attempts to start up again. Somehow, every time we seemed to stop under a spider, and tilted upwards. It was downright creepy being stopped in there with the show lighting on (so basically, super dark), fog still going, and the effects still making noise. And boy, did I get a good long look at Aragog, especially when the lights came on. As someone who still occasionally averts her eyes when we come up to Aragog, this was a little disconcerting. Cool, but creepy. Not sure how long we were hanging there. It seemed like a good chunk of time, and I was chuckling to myself that of course it would have to happen during an after hours event when time was limited.

When we finally got out I saw that they were turning people away at Greeter, so I don't know if the ride ever came back up. And that was my tale of being careful what you wish for, for you might get stuck on a ride below a giant spider.

Last edited:
They'd probably have been better off doing this as a mix-in (like Disney did) where the day guests aren't kicked out, but are not admitted to rides and shows after a certain point. Disney just put on a wristband that you'd show. Day guests may not like it, but it could also raise appreciation for APs. And since Dining and shops were open, Disney managed to make money off the day guests even when 'closed'.

They'd probably have been better off doing this as a mix-in (like Disney did) where the day guests aren't kicked out, but are not admitted to rides and shows after a certain point. Disney just put on a wristband that you'd show. Day guests may not like it, but it could also raise appreciation for APs. And since Dining and shops were open, Disney managed to make money off the day guests even when 'closed'.

Yes, this is what I suggested. The Disney people do kick you out though. They don't just let you hang around, just like Uni was kicking people out while we were in a holding area.

Yes, this is what I suggested. The Disney people do kick you out though. They don't just let you hang around, just like Uni was kicking people out while we were in a holding area.
I watched the fireworks by DA then went into DA. They had TM's staffed at the entrances only letting those in with wristbands. There were regular guests still inside, they seemed to be looking for wristbands when entering Gringott's and there were still regular guests in the area. Seemed to be pretty much identical to the way Disney handles event transitions like this. From your description it sounds like the only exception was the HE, which makes sense since they didn't staff the entrance to it and you didn't have to scan your ticket to get in. They probably just didn't expect a large number of people to start the event off with a train ride to the other park.

I watched the fireworks by DA then went into DA. They had TM's staffed at the entrances only letting those in with wristbands. There were regular guests still inside, they seemed to be looking for wristbands when entering Gringott's and there were still regular guests in the area. Seemed to be pretty much identical to the way Disney handles event transitions like this. From your description it sounds like the only exception was the HE, which makes sense since they didn't staff the entrance to it and you didn't have to scan your ticket to get in. They probably just didn't expect a large number of people to start the event off with a train ride to the other park.

When I questioned the guy about why our time was being wasted in a limited event he said that similar holding areas were in IOA and that those people weren't riding things either. But then he followed it with, you can go into Gringotts and ride that. So I didn't believe him that rides weren't open in IOA, but since I wasn't over there I couldn't say what happened over there.

That sounds like an after hours event. A mix-in is actually what is sounds like. The crowds are mixed together but the rides are available only to those with bands. I worked quite a few of those back in the 70s

That sounds like an after hours event. A mix-in is actually what is sounds like. The crowds are mixed together but the rides are available only to those with bands. I worked quite a few of those back in the 70s

Do they have mix ins anymore at Disney?

When I questioned the guy about why our time was being wasted in a limited event he said that similar holding areas were in IOA and that those people weren't riding things either. But then he followed it with, you can go into Gringotts and ride that. So I didn't believe him that rides weren't open in IOA, but since I wasn't over there I couldn't say what happened over there.
Well HE goes both ways so that makes sense.

Do they have mix ins anymore at Disney?
By definition, the time between the park closes to the public and when the after hours evens start would be a mix in. At the general park closing Disney does a sweep with secuirity starting from the back. Only people with a wristband can pass the security line.

We got there at 8:30ish and had about a 20 minute wait to get through check-in. Only got to do Hulk, Doom, and Kong but that was really the majority of what we came for. Overall I thought they did a really good job with the event and everyone was in a good mood and really friendly. I really only had one complaint which was that the majority of vendors were closed so if you wanted a drink or some water you had to go to Fantastic 4 Cafe or Backwater Bar.

Well HE goes both ways so that makes sense.

He made it sounds like there was no rides open on the other side. He said, "It isn't like those guests in IOA are running around riding stuff, they are in holding areas until the area is swept by security". Basically saying even if we got on the train and got over there, we couldn't do anything.

By definition, the time between the park closes to the public and when the after hours evens start would be a mix in. At the general park closing Disney does a sweep with secuirity starting from the back. Only people with a wristband can pass the security line.
So that would mean no, they don't really do a mix in as they used to when I worked there.