Aquaman and The Lost Kingdom | Inside Universal Forums

Aquaman and The Lost Kingdom

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Interesting, I could've sworn we had a thread for this already, but upon inspection I guess not.

I'm sort of ambivalent towards Affleck's Batman, but I also know this will please a lot of people. He's also in The Flash, I believe, which I have to wonder if that is how they write him out or replace him with a new Batman from a different universe since that's a multiverse film.

Of the people to portray Batman in the 21st century, Affleck is my least favorite, behind Bale and then Pattinson. Maybe Affleck can change that though as I feel he hasn't been given scripts that are anywhere near the level of what Bale and Pattinson have had. He's actually been shortchanged quite a bit as he never got a proper solo movie.

Reactions: Ahmanet
Interesting, I could've sworn we had a thread for this already, but upon inspection I guess not.

I'm sort of ambivalent towards Affleck's Batman, but I also know this will please a lot of people. He's also in The Flash, I believe, which I have to wonder if that is how they write him out or replace him with a new Batman from a different universe since that's a multiverse film. Of the people to portray Batman in the 21st century, Affleck is my least favorite, behind Bale and then Pattinson. Maybe Affleck can change that though as I feel he hasn't been given scripts that are anywhere near the level of what Bale and Pattinson have had. He's actually been shortchanged quite a bit as he never got a proper solo movie.

Imma throw a wildcard, with consideration to Batgirl screenings; there seems to be confusion of Affleck's departure with Keaton stepping in.

Given how Affleck is in a steadier place personally, alongside having a stronger backbone on a relationship level and with the positive reception to his preformance in the 2021 cut...what if Affleck and Keaton co-exist in the same universe post Flash?

Keaton taking the role essentially of a Thomas Wayne who survived the shooting, while Affleck takes on the role of Bruce Wayne, who copes with the loss of his mother and the state of his father by being The Batman of a DCEU reborn post flash? We still have a good while until The Flash, Blue Beetle, and Batgirl come out; so maybe WB (who gnabbed Alan Horn to become an advisor) is considering things with a new contract for Affleck?

Reactions: Ahmanet and Nick
Imma throw a wildcard, with consideration to Batgirl screenings; there seems to be confusion of Affleck's departure with Keaton stepping in.

Given how Affleck is in a steadier place personally, alongside having a stronger backbone on a relationship level and with the positive reception to his preformance in the 2021 cut...what if Affleck and Keaton co-exist in the same universe post Flash?

Keaton taking the role essentially of a Thomas Wayne who survived the shooting, while Affleck takes on the role of Bruce Wayne, who copes with the loss of his mother and the state of his father by being The Batman of a DCEU reborn post flash? We still have a good while until The Flash, Blue Beetle, and Batgirl come out; so maybe WB (who gnabbed Alan Horn to become an advisor) is considering things with a new contract for Affleck?
Alan Horn coming over is honestly huge as he has all the knowledge of dealing with the MCU as the Walt Disney Studios Chairman since 2012 until he left in 2020. I can't imagine he'll be doing too much though as he's basically retired and is 79.

Reactions: Ahmanet and Nico
I get how everyone feels about Affleck - buuuut as far as the character is concerned, his is the coolest version of Batman we’ve seen. I’m kind of over having new or year 1/2 Batman. Love a grizzled and experienced one. The aesthetic, the size, the suit. He just looks badass.

• Love
Reactions: Ahmanet and chris.g
I get how everyone feels about Affleck - buuuut as far as the character is concerned, his is the coolest version of Batman we’ve seen. I’m kind of over having new or year 1/2 Batman. Love a grizzled and experienced one. The aesthetic, the size, the suit. He just looks badass.
I just wish there was a good Batman movie that he had though. I'm not saying he's bad in the role necessarily, i'm saying he's been done a disservice.

Reactions: Ahmanet and Nico
I just wish there was a good Batman movie that he had though. I'm not saying he's bad in the role necessarily, i'm saying he's been done a disservice.

Honestly if I was HBOM, I'd say giving Affleck a HBOMax Series as Batman in a Post-Flash world, figuring things out while being pursued by Deathstroke could be really fun.

Honestly if I was HBOM, I'd say giving Affleck a HBOMax Series as Batman in a Post-Flash world, figuring things out while being pursued by Deathstroke could be really fun.
This would be great as an 8-10 episode TV-MA show in the vein of Daredevil. However, when Discovery took over, they moved Batgirl and Blue Beetle away from being HBO Max releases, so there's no way they HBO Max their marquee character in Batman. I could almost see it being more likely with Keaton's Batman.

Streaming is still seen as a demotion from theatrical, which is an unfortunate stigma, as there's plenty of quality content that is brought to streamers. Just like theatrical releases or network/cable, there's a lot of good stuff to find and there's a lot of crap, too.

This would be great as an 8-10 episode TV-MA show in the vein of Daredevil. However, when Discovery took over, they moved Batgirl and Blue Beetle away from being HBO Max releases, so there's no way they HBO Max their marquee character in Batman. I could almost see it being more likely with Keaton's Batman.

Streaming is still seen as a demotion from theatrical, which is an unfortunate stigma, as there's plenty of quality content that is brought to streamers. Just like theatrical releases or network/cable, there's a lot of good stuff to find and there's a lot of crap, too.

I'd argue that with Disney, they've been making strides to have their landmark content be actively part of it.

With Pattingson leading theatrical, having Affleck take on TV could allow him more flexibility to be Batman in the same way it has allowed Tom (even giving Tom producer credits as of Loki) with Loki. It comes down to how the artist is given that chance.

HBOMax even proves this with Peacemaker having active and full on collaboration with film, including the likes of Momoa and Ezra onboard for a cameo of the final episode.

I'd argue that with Disney, they've been making strides to have their landmark content be actively part of it.

With Pattingson leading theatrical, having Affleck take on TV could allow him more flexibility to be Batman in the same way it has allowed Tom (even giving Tom producer credits as of Loki) with Loki. It comes down to how the artist is given that chance.

HBOMax even proves this with Peacemaker having active and full on collaboration with film, including the likes of Momoa and Ezra onboard for a cameo of the final episode.
Disney/Marvel has a very specific release schedule though that demands that Disney+ be a part of it. Disney has embraced crossing the Universe between theatrical and streaming. And yes, HBO Max did Peacemaker, which was great and they had those cameos (which were actually filmed on the set of GotG3 funny enough), but Peacemaker is the only show they've released still. There's a few spin-offs coming from The Batman, but that isn't a DCEU film.

Basically my point is Marvel and Disney+ have it down as a pretty well oiled machine in terms of characters going between streaming and theatrical. The DCEU has still yet to really find its footing almost a decade in, although things are certainly getting better and The Suicide Squad is one of my favorite superhero movies in recent memory and Peacemaker was great as well. I feel like HBO Max would be a great way to really flesh out the DCEU by telling stories that really allow for more of a deep dive on these characters. The next show they have in the pipeline for the DCEU is the DCEU it seems is an Amanda Waller series, which... I hope goes beyond just A.R.G.U.S.

Reactions: Nico

@Nick is correct here. Zazlav believes that programming created for HBOMax should not cost more than 35mil because of return on investment - a price point that can sustain Affleck’s salary. Zaz cancelled the agreement with Bad Robot/JJ Abrams for a show that was ballooning to 200 mil. This article talks about DC specific films needing to go to theaters first as well.

I do wish we got Affleck’s solo movie instead of Pattinson’s. I’m glad we’re going to see him in Aquaman, but DC is so splintered right now. Hopefully Alan Horn can help WB right the ship over the next two years.

So keep it from what you will--but sources are coming out and saying from test screenings that Aquaman is not only bad, but it's actually preforming the cardinal sin: causing some people to be walking out of theaters.

• Wow
So keep it from what you will--but sources are coming out and saying from test screenings that Aquaman is not only bad, but it's actually preforming the cardinal sin: causing some people to be walking out of theaters.

I mean, the first one was borderline unwatchable (despite some singing its praises for some reason), so this doesn't shock me.

Wan is a talented director, but he gets swallowed by these movies.

I wouldn't say people walking out of the theater itself is the cardinal sin, cuz' in cases like that there's going to be a sheer curiosity on why. It's like if you hype up how incredibly bad a film is, and it still makes a decent amount of cash because people were curious if it really was.

What's being said quite a bit is the film is "Boring".
Now *that* is a cardinal sin in all of theater, because there's no entertainment to be had with a boring. You can't even riff on it because it gives you nothing to work with. And that's not what you wanna' hear from one of the more expensive DC films out there.

Wasn't the villain supposed to be that sailor guy from Game of Thrones?

Got my tickets, low expectations of just a fun holiday week movie.

Villain will be Manta who was in the first film

Rumors are the film has no traction and could somehow make less then the Marvels

We all know this film is going to be either good dumb fun...or just dumb

If its like Black Adam then cool, The Flash is the real ending of the DCU anyway