Are zipline fly scares a recent thing? | Inside Universal Forums

Are zipline fly scares a recent thing?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Mar 31, 2020
Does anyone remember if HHN has ever used the zipline fly rig before HHN30 with the Bride of Dracula scare? I'm seeing that they had bungee/flyer/swing fly rigs in the past, but I can't recall any zipline flying scare, besides what we've gotten recently with Bride of Dracula in 30 and the fisherman and Dracula in 31. I know some people on this forum have been going to the event way longer than me (first year was HHN28) so y'all would know better.

Does anyone remember if HHN has ever used the zipline fly rig before HHN30 with the Bride of Dracula scare? I'm seeing that they had bungee/flyer/swing fly rigs in the past, but I can't recall any zipline flying scare, besides what we've gotten recently with Bride of Dracula in 30 and the fisherman and Dracula in 31. I know some people on this forum have been going to the event way longer than me (first year was HHN28) so y'all would know better.

The first time I can remember a zipline scare being direct at the guests was in 2011's The Forsaken, which used the setup as the house finale. It was used similarly in 2012's Gothic and has made appearances ever since. Well before that, though, there were "bungee" scares where performers would float *above* guests versus *at* them. Those I believe have been present longer than I have been doing the event, but I vividly remember seeing them in 2009's Dracula house (with the Brides floating above you). The Wolfman house used a bungee mechanism for when the monster was "shot" and ripped back in the house's climax - 2008's Interstellar Terror attempted a similar trick with an airlock until they abandoned the position due to safety concerns.

Plenty of haunts have been using intense bungee scares for many, many years, though. Howl-O-Scream used a ton when I went a decade+ ago.

The first time I can remember a zipline scare being direct at the guests was in 2011's The Forsaken, which used the setup as the house finale. It was used similarly in 2012's Gothic and has made appearances ever since. Well before that, though, there were "bungee" scares where performers would float *above* guests versus *at* them. Those I believe have been present longer than I have been doing the event, but I vividly remember seeing them in 2009's Dracula house (with the Brides floating above you). The Wolfman house used a bungee mechanism for when the monster was "shot" and ripped back in the house's climax - 2008's Interstellar Terror attempted a similar trick with an airlock until they abandoned the position due to safety concerns.

Plenty of haunts have been using intense bungee scares for many, many years, though. Howl-O-Scream used a ton when I went a decade+ ago.
Good to know, thanks for the answer!! Just watched a walkthrough and there it is! :D Do you remember any other uses past Gothic in 2012? I can't remember any in 2019 and 2018.

Good to know, thanks for the answer!! Just watched a walkthrough and there it is! :D Do you remember any other uses past Gothic in 2012? I can't remember any in 2019 and 2018.
In 2019's Universal Classic Monsters the Wolfman was on a low zip line rig to come at guests before being shot at by the man emerging from the mausoleum.

29 Graveyard Games had a prop zipline with "Mother", or the blue poncho on a string.

28 Scary Tales Wicked Witch had a zipline scare.

2005's "Where Evil Hides" had a bungee-vampire scare in the attic

2008's "Path of the Wicked" scarezone had "flying monkey" scareactors that would swing above the guests from overhang ledge of Shrek (Minions) & Neutron (Minions)

Also (since we’re just naming all of them), Forsaken (2010) had a tracked zip line that launched at guests.

But, yes, Universal has used the style for decades now. The mechanics have shifted some, but they’ve been there.

Reactions: Wesker69
Also (since we’re just naming all of them), Forsaken (2010) had a tracked zip line that launched at guests.

But, yes, Universal has used the style for decades now. The mechanics have shifted some, but they’ve been there.

Was Castle Vampyr the first time zip lines were used? So weird that both it and Where Evil Hides went upstairs.

So weird that both it and Where Evil Hides went upstairs.
If you go further back in HHN history, they had a ball pit in a house!

As for the upstairs part, they had a alternate route for wheelchairs to bypass "the attic" of WEH.

I'm not sure if they had implemented bungees/zip lines before 2004, but I do know in the 90s they did at least plan for one in a scrapped/shelved house concept.

If you go further back in HHN history, they had a ball pit in a house!

As for the upstairs part, they had a alternate route for wheelchairs to bypass "the attic" of WEH.

I'm not sure if they had implemented bungees/zip lines before 2004, but I do know in the 90s they did at least plan for one in a scrapped/shelved house concept.
I’m pretty sure they did a vertical bungee (similar to the Quasimodo bell ringer scare) in 2000 or 2001. I remember my Screamhouse cast talking about it

Actually it's more along the lines of 90% of Hollywood's houses being in tents lol. Not exactly able to give those type of scares safely due to the lack of height required/stable structure.

They could easily make it work in a SS house or TWD Attraction venue