Avatar: The Way Of Water | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Just got back from seeing the Avatar re-release at a 3D IMAX viewing (the only way it should be seen now that i've seen it like that). I've always been a fan of the movie and i'd guess in total i've seen the film somewhere close to 15 times. People can say all they want that it's "Dances With Wolves" meets "Ferngully", but imo, the movie itself is great.

I had never seen the movie in theaters though. That's really the only reason I went to see it in theaters was to get the proper viewing experience finally. I didn't think i'd come out feeling as if I had seen a completely new movie from the one i've been watching for around 13 years. On the technical side, this film holds up so incredibly well for a movie released in 2009. If I didn't know better, you could tell me this was a new movie never before released and i'd believe you and i'd bet on it to win the VFX Oscar this year. I've simply never seen anything like the 3D that this movie provides and the visuals are even better with the 4K remaster.

There was one short scene of Avatar: The Way of Water as a mid-credit scene and a post-credit scene. They were very short and out of context it's hard to judge anything. One focused on Jake and Neytiri's family and the other focused on Sigourney Weaver's new character as one of the oldest children. IMO, the 3D looked a bit more impressive in a way that's tough to describe.
---------------------------
In Box office news for the re-release. Currently projected to be the highest grossing re-release since Jurassic Park 3D in 2013.

So weekend box office projections are looking good for the Avatar re-release in terms of how The Way of Water will perform. It made $10M or so domestically (93% from 3D screenings) and $20M-ish internationally for a worldwide total of $30.5M, looking to beat out Don't Worry Darling worldwide for the weekend.

It became the highest grossing single weekend 20th Century film Worldwide since Free Guy brought in $51.4M Worldwide last August.

Cameron is hard at work trying to make sure this movie secures an uncommon Chinese release as well:

Saw Avatar again after ten years. The CGI holds up but some of the dialogue is....rough. lol

Its a fun film, in no way as good as the Number one box office film but its just what it is.

Also crazy Avatar made as much as Dont Worry Darling world wide....which is kinda insane

Saw Avatar again after ten years. The CGI holds up but some of the dialogue is....rough. lol

Its a fun film, in no way as good as the Number one box office film but its just what it is.

Also crazy Avatar made as much as Dont Worry Darling world wide....which is kinda insane
I saw it again this weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. This was the first time I got to see it in a theater and in 3D, so it was a fun time. I talked a bit about this in The Way of Water thread.

I know the writing isn’t exactly a strength, but just out of curiosity, what dialogue are you talking about? On the whole, I thinking the story is a lot better than it gets credit for.

It’s a simple story of a paraplegic that gets to walk again and falls in love with Pandora just as the audience does with him, especially if watching in 3D. The use of 3D as a “window” instead of just throwing random crap at you really is what makes this film stand out in the format.

I think my favorite part of twitter this weekend was when young people who were either in elementary or middle school at best in 2009 started asking if anyone remembered the main character from Avatar’s name…. and “Jake Sully” started trending. That name is probably said so many times in Avatar it’s tough to forget.

Saw it today in Dolby 3D at our local Dolby Cinema (Our IMAX is still a regular 2 2k projectors and doesn't look so good). It still looks amazing. In fact, I'd say it looks even better than it originally did. You can tell when they switch to HFR but its used effectively for the sequences its used in. We got the kids underwater sequence from Way Of Water post credits. Looks amazing as well.

Saw it today in Dolby 3D at our local Dolby Cinema (Our IMAX is still a regular 2 2k projectors and doesn't look so good). It still looks amazing. In fact, I'd say it looks even better than it originally did. You can tell when they switch to HFR but its used effectively for the sequences its used in. We got the kids underwater sequence from Way Of Water post credits. Looks amazing as well.
I have a feeling the underwater stuff is going to be absolutely stunning, if only just from the little snippet that was shown. I assume you went to the Dolby Vision theater at Disney Springs? I almost went there, but the showings were pretty much all sold out by the time I looked and no good seats left, which is crazy considering how big that auditorium is.

I do wonder how the "self-contained" aspect of each film is going to work. I assume it still means the movies will connect (otherwise it's not really a franchise to invest in), but what Cameron probably means is it won't be like the MCU where the movies end on cliffhangers to make you come see the next film.

I saw it again this weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. This was the first time I got to see it in a theater and in 3D, so it was a fun time. I talked a bit about this in The Way of Water thread.

I know the writing isn’t exactly a strength, but just out of curiosity, what dialogue are you talking about? On the whole, I thinking the story is a lot better than it gets credit for.

It’s a simple story of a paraplegic that gets to walk again and falls in love with Pandora just as the audience does with him, especially if watching in 3D. The use of 3D as a “window” instead of just throwing random crap at you really is what makes this film stand out in the format.

I think my favorite part of twitter this weekend was when young people who were either in elementary or middle school at best in 2009 started asking if anyone remembered the main character from Avatar’s name…. and “Jake Sully” started trending. That name is probably said so many times in Avatar it’s tough to forget.
any time the pilot spoke

the story is simple but works but some of the dialogue is just dated. Hoping the sequel is a little tighter on dialogue

any time the pilot spoke

the story is simple but works but some of the dialogue is just dated. Hoping the sequel is a little tighter on dialogue
Eh, the dialogue wasn't the best and did his dialogue feel a little video game-y at points? Yeah. He was a cold hearted guy that basically had been in some sort of military system his whole life, so I was able to buy him as a character. The person who didn't work for me in the first film and came off really video game-y was Michelle Rodriguez's character.

For me, I really enjoy the movie still for the most part. It'll be really interesting how they explain how and why Stephen Lang's character, the Corporal, is back after he looked to be shot dead with two bows to the chest..

Eh, the dialogue wasn't the best and did his dialogue feel a little video game-y at points? Yeah. He was a cold hearted guy that basically had been in some sort of military system his whole life, so I was able to buy him as a character. The person who didn't work for me in the first film and came off really video game-y was Michelle Rodriguez's character.

For me, I really enjoy the movie still for the most part. It'll be really interesting how they explain how and why Stephen Lang's character, the Corporal, is back after he looked to be shot dead with two bows to the chest..
No ment the female pilot

Reactions: Nico
No ment the female pilot
Oh yeah, that's who I was talking about when I said Michelle Rodriguez and was a bit confused when I thought you were talking about Stephen Lang's character. Her dialogue seemed lazy, but the character itself wasn't really fleshed out either so I think she just got the short end of the stick.

There's a lot to potentially tap into with this upcoming film and while the visuals are obviously important since it's basically a fully CGI film, I do hope (with 13 years to work on it) that the script is as good as the visuals.

I can't buy twice as long as a seal no matter what, maybe pre charged with pure O2 for 10 minutes but they said no?
Going back to this because there was a recent interview relevant to it. On top of Winslett saying she was able to hold her breath for over 7 minutes, Zoe Saldana said that she managed to get up to 5 minutes. Saldana says in the interview (at the beginning) that they worked with "world-renowned free-diver that trained Navy Seals".

She goes on to say that they worked with him for weeks to "get them in a meditative state, lower their heart rate, and helped them, through breathing techniques, put a lot more oxygen into their bloodstream and eliminate a lot more carbon dioxide so that they could sustain their breath". She further says that Sam and her were skeptical of it

Oh yeah, that's who I was talking about when I said Michelle Rodriguez and was a bit confused when I thought you were talking about Stephen Lang's character. Her dialogue seemed lazy, but the character itself wasn't really fleshed out either so I think she just got the short end of the stick.

There's a lot to potentially tap into with this upcoming film and while the visuals are obviously important since it's basically a fully CGI film, I do hope (with 13 years to work on it) that the script is as good as the visuals.

Going back to this because there was a recent interview relevant to it. On top of Winslett saying she was able to hold her breath for over 7 minutes, Zoe Saldana said that she managed to get up to 5 minutes. Saldana says in the interview (at the beginning) that they worked with "world-renowned free-diver that trained Navy Seals".

She goes on to say that they worked with him for weeks to "get them in a meditative state, lowers their heart rate, and helped them, through breathing techniques, put a lot more oxygen into their bloodstream and eliminate a lot more carbon dioxide so that they could sustain their breath". She further says that Sam and her were skeptical of it

This is a key aspect of military water survival-maximizing the oxygenation of your blood per breath and staying completely calm. It requires conditioning your body to improve its efficiency in pulling as much oxygen as it can over an extended period.

The water survival instructor in Korea explained it to me. I didn’t believe it was possible until speaking with him (and he taught me some of the breathing drills).

Reactions: Nick
I have a feeling the underwater stuff is going to be absolutely stunning, if only just from the little snippet that was shown. I assume you went to the Dolby Vision theater at Disney Springs? I almost went there, but the showings were pretty much all sold out by the time I looked and no good seats left, which is crazy considering how big that auditorium is.

I do wonder how the "self-contained" aspect of each film is going to work. I assume it still means the movies will connect (otherwise it's not really a franchise to invest in), but what Cameron probably means is it won't be like the MCU where the movies end on cliffhangers to make you come see the next film.
Yep, Disney Springs. Normally I go to a theater closer but the ability to see it in Dolby with 3D and Atmos was too much to pass up :) Plus, I know Sigourney is playing one of the kids, but she better "show up" as Grace in the tree. rewatching that scene it almost seems like a Checkov's Gun moment ..

Yep, Disney Springs. Normally I go to a theater closer but the ability to see it in Dolby with 3D and Atmos was too much to pass up :) Plus, I know Sigourney is playing one of the kids, but she better "show up" as Grace in the tree. rewatching that scene it almost seems like a Checkov's Gun moment ..
I could see Jake connecting to Eywa and to try and reach out to Grace. May not happen in this movie, however, for example, there was a leak of sequel names years ago and The Way of Water was on it for Avatar 2. This was the names of Avatar 3-5. James Cameron has verified these are names in consideration, although not officially chosen.

So after this weekend taking in another $4.8M domestically, bringing the domestic rerelease total to $18.5M and the Worldwide total to $58M, Avatar has officially passed $2.9B at the box office.

Avatar has added $115.8M to its total between the China rerelease last year and this rerelease. As long as The Way of Water can secure a China release, I’d say things are looking pretty good for it.

My immediate reaction?

Making up for all the delays, I see. I didn't feel the run time of the original Avatar when I saw it a month or so ago in theaters and that movie is almost 3 hours.

The biggest thing here is this is going have a potentially big effect on the films opening weekend as the film can only play so many times per day at this run time.

Making up for all the delays, I see. I didn't feel the run time of the original Avatar when I saw it a month or so ago in theaters and that movie is almost 3 hours.

The biggest thing here is this is going have a potentially big effect on the films opening weekend as the film can only play so many times per day at this run time.

I don't think opening weekend is really going to matter. Mid-December tentpoles often have long legs. Just like Force Awakens and No Way Home, it will attract families right as schools let out for the holidays and have the entire month of January with no competition.

I don't think opening weekend is really going to matter. Mid-December tentpoles often have long legs. Just like Force Awakens and No Way Home, it will attract families right as schools let out for the holidays and have the entire month of January with no competition.
Babylon, Puss In Boots 2, and I Wanna Dance With Someone should each do well too, but that December period leaves a lot of room for all films to do pretty well.

I'm assuming we'll get a new Avatar trailer in front of Wakanda Forever.

Titanic and Endgame ended up performing okay :shrug:
I'm not saying it's going to have a bad opening weekend. I'm saying it may not do as well as it has the potential to because it's potential is now limited by the amount of showtimes that can be run in a set day. And while I think this movie is going to do big business, this movie is not Avengers Endgame in terms of overwhelming anticipation among so many different groups of people.

Last edited: