Back to the Future: The Musical | Inside Universal Forums

Back to the Future: The Musical

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I wonder if the musical does well will it be enough to force Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale to reboot the franchise even though they have said time and time again that they’re not going to reboot it. I mean we even have a Delorean movie coming out with Alec Baldwin soon. Why is it they won’t do a fourth film the fans want it but they just won’t do it. Back to the future has been popular as ever and it’s getting so much media attention.

I wonder if the musical does well will it be enough to force Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale to reboot the franchise even though they have said time and time again that they’re not going to reboot it. I mean we even have a Delorean movie coming out with Alec Baldwin soon. Why is it they won’t do a fourth film the fans want it but they just won’t do it. Back to the future has been popular as ever and it’s getting so much media attention.
Robert Zemeckis on Back to the Future 4: It Can't Be Done

And the Delorean bio-pic has nothing to do with BttF either.

Reactions: Tobias and Brian G.
As a huge musical fan, I hope it succeeds enough for a broadway transfer

Its going to the West End and 90% of the shows that make it the West End make it to Broadway. It mainly will be determined based on the cost of production and how quickly they can recoup the investment.

I think the issue at least for Broadway is Universal also has about 8-9 other shows they are producers on that will also be trying to move to Broadway in the next 3-5 years which makes the space harder and more crowded so this show has to be stellar for that to happen.

I wonder if the musical does well will it be enough to force Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale to reboot the franchise even though they have said time and time again that they’re not going to reboot it.

You do realize how horrible that sounds, right? Sorry Rob and Bob, we know you've been completely transparent that you don't want to do another film nor have it rebooted, but you're gonna' make one anyway!

There's no aspect to that concept that would end well.

Why is it they won’t do a fourth film the fans want it but they just won’t do it.

There's a plethora of reasons, the health of Michael J. Fox, the fact that Rob and Bob have integrity and respect for the iconic trilogy they made. Rebooting or making a 4th film runs the risk of tarnishing the trilogy/brand. An let's be honest, when it comes to film series returning/rebooted nowadays, it hasn't been the best of track records.

As we all know, BTTF was a massive passion project for Zemeckis. One that became iconic, but even Zemeckis knows that you can't make a reboot or additional film live up to that. "Fans" may clamor for one, but the nostalgia and hype has built up so much, there's no possible way another film will meet anyone's expectations.

The fans may think they know what they want, but there's no way a new film is going to be -what- they want.
When the W.o.G. has been fully transparent that a reboot or 4th film just ain't happening, you're just gonna' have to accept that's the way it is.

Reactions: Coasted